Erica Synths x Ninja Tune Zen Delay is now a plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I guess they are trying to support 2/3 ?companies. Sadly its a different market than
they are used to. For many, the price is gonna
be too high. Perhaps they are ok with that, fewer sales mean fewer resources to devote
to support and whatnot. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:02 pm Well I guess they are trying to support 2/3 ?companies. Sadly its a different market than
they are used to. For many, the price is gonna
be too high. Perhaps they are ok with that, fewer sales mean fewer resources to devote
to support and whatnot. :shrug:
have to keep it pricey on rrp to stop the hardware owners going mental.
but they also probably expect to offer it in sales, unlike the hardware.

similar to the strymon.

As a hardware owner, I’m more upset that ES didn’t release a single firmware update adding / improving the box other than one which fixed bad midi and allegedly the digital delay feedback which to this day still sounds unbelievably bad. The hw has numerous design defects I’ve described elsewhere that while obviously making the box still playable are just totally frustrating - the poor gainstaging with the drive, the terrible unlinked resonance upon self-oscillation, and the beyond annoying that 2khz sine noise that is apparently a part of the filter design (and hence a design defect). Instead, a new plugin. Hmm.

What makes the zen so special and unique is the tuning of the feedback for smooth and controlled feedback up up to and back from self oscillation. Combined with the filter one can really work some unique echoes. And the stereo imaging of the box is also very nice. I suspect the plugin has the same feedback tuning and reasonably modeled filter (since at least for me the resonance is ugly anyway on the hardware).

Id be surprised if Strymon ever has a sale on that plugin heh.

pekbro wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:47 pm Id be surprised if Strymon ever has a sale on that plugin heh.
be a bit daft not to. can't do it with the pedal to "instant" prices. even just doing bf once a year, would net then a huge wedge of cash for what is now little outlay.
but you might be right, different mindset in the company to software devs.

Yeah i would guess they consider their stuff elite and would go out of ther way to avoid devaluing. :shrug:

I knew there would be a plugin of this hardware eventually. And 150 is because it is only for the truly insane, like me.
Why I bought Fusionbox - can't be duplicated in software (and also even more boutique/insane).
I might get it at the intro price, but I have too many delays!
If you know how many delays you have, you don't have enough delays. lol

It's not even about the price. I seriously have too many delays (and plugins in general).
Out of the question even if it was $39, let alone 100/150 + VAT.

Funky40 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:31 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:58 pm If it was $50 on intro, or maybe even $75, I'd get it immediately despite having infinite delay plugins already.
exactly the same here !
another missed opportunity to sell something new, to kind of just about everybody.
it just won´t work out that way for that price.

They should bring the delay engine as such to VCV RAck ! ...incl. patchpoints.
Now, that would be something.
They do have a 'Fusion delay' in VCV - is that similar?

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:01 am They do have a 'Fusion delay' in VCV - is that similar?
Maybe someone else knows ? i do not. (so far)
perpetual3 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:37 pm What makes the zen so special and unique is the tuning of the feedback for smooth and controlled feedback up up to and back from self oscillation.
what you describe just vs. the Feedback behave.
such can be had with quasi any VST delay, when patching within GP (GigPerformer).
since you can draw there curvatures vs. your Midi CC behaves.

The other thing though, is the delay-time behave. Thats then another story.
vs. The ZEN, i allways found the demos VERY musical and interesting vs. its delay-time behave.
But the plugin, not so much vs. its drive, from what i gather from online demos.

hey this is great fun! It's more of a multi fx unit really - not just a delay, you can completely bypass the delay and just use it as a modulated filter, drive, bit reduction, digital and tape fx unit. The filter is great with very musical self oscillation, the drive and tape fx lovely and you can create some really messed up sounds with it. The modulation system is intuitive and compensates somewhat for the lack of patch points. The only negative for me is the preset system is awful - you have to go into the browser each time you want to change presets and I lost a few I made myself as the overwrite doesn't seem to work properly. Then again the presets that come with it are not that great anyway, better to make your own.

pekbro wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:35 amI have yet to meet the virtual valve that sounds better than the real thing imo. :tu:
When I was looking for a silent guitar amp device, I looked at many different options, including a real amp with an iso cab. I picked an AxeFX over all of them, because I actually prefer it to some real amps. Lately I’ve been checking out N.A.M. and it’s just as good as anything I’ve ever heard. I dare anyone to pick it up in a blind test.

I used to think like you, though. Digital stuff could be OK, but when you really crank up the gain, the real deal always had a bit of magic the emulation didn’t. I don’t really think that anymore. There are plenty of great tube distortion emulations now.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Niowiad wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:57 am Image

It's not even about the price. I seriously have too many delays (and plugins in general).
What else are you going to spend your money on? Food? :lol:

I’ll probably end up with it, even though I’m in the same boat as you. As long as I think it sounds good and captures the vibe of a tube saturation and filter. I don’t even care if it’s accurate. I saw a bunch of videos of the Moogerfooger plugins not sounding like the Moogerfoogers, but when in my own hands, I got them so sound fantastic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:58 pm
Niowiad wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:57 am Image

What else are you going to spend your money on? Food? :lol:

I’ll probably end up with it, even though I’m in the same boat as you. As long as I think it sounds good and captures the vibe of a tube saturation and filter. I don’t even care if it’s accurate. I saw a bunch of videos of the Moogerfooger plugins not sounding like the Moogerfoogers, but when in my own hands, I got them so sound fantastic.
I have the hw Zen, and an Asheville Music Tools ADG-1 SE. have yet demoed the sw Zen, kind of avoiding it. But the only soft BBD delay that captures some the vibe from the ADG-1 SE is the Moogerfooger.

Did I dream did or there is a version of the zen delay for free in VCV rack ? it's called fusion delay : https://library.vcvrack.com/?brand=Erica%20Synths ... maybe it's not the same thing ?
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

Return to “Effects”