VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Delay Lama Dustbin Freek Monstrous Horror Synth OnePingOnly SkinMan

matamoris wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:38 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 am
mi-os wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:07 pm My two cents:

I think the factory style/look is fine as is. The issue is the symmetric/mirrored layout IMO. It just doesn't work that good. There is a reason why you don't find such layouts very often. Although i don't think it's a showstopper.

So if it were my job i would concentrate on the layout/placement.
Agreed. The look is fine, it’s just designed to look cool, not logical. We tend to read left to right, so we expect a flow that goes that way.
I've tried a few different skins, but I keep going back to the original. Despite being frequently thrown off by the symmetrical layout, I find it to be easiest on the eyes.
It’s not unlearnable. It’s not Transistow. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Now you have decent experience, you may want to learn about graphic design, and what a good design is:
https://www.figma.com/resources/learn-design/lessons/

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 am
mi-os wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:07 pm My two cents:

I think the factory style/look is fine as is. The issue is the symmetric/mirrored layout IMO. It just doesn't work that good. There is a reason why you don't find such layouts very often. Although i don't think it's a showstopper.

So if it were my job i would concentrate on the layout/placement.
Agreed. The look is fine, it’s just designed to look cool, not logical. We tend to read left to right, so we expect a flow that goes that way.
Agreed as well. This is really my only complaints with the original built-in skins.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Nice improvements. IMO flat design is the right way, if done right. The red variant looks the best to me, because no oldschoool outlines. Really nice. Maybe you now could make every kind of knob similar in thickness, so there aren't three different types of knobs anymore.

I like the variant where the knob has a thin 3/4 cycle for indicating the available area of movement, and then a thick part on the cycle for the actual value. I would do this on every of the three variants. So you can easily read the range and also the value, plus the actual value written in the middle.

The handles of the sliders are way too small.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:15 am Nice improvements. IMO flat design is the right way, if done right. The red variant looks the best to me, because no oldschoool outlines. Really nice. Maybe you now could make every kind of knob similar in thickness, so there aren't three different types of knobs anymore.

I like the variant where the knob has a thin 3/4 cycle for indicating the available area of movement, and then a thick part on the cycle for the actual value. I would do this on every of the three variants. So you can easily read the range and also the value, plus the actual value written in the middle.

The handles of the sliders are way too small.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll pick up on one thing and that's related to the ADSR slider sizes. The size of the sliders have no bearing in being able to select them. There is an invisible bordering rectangular area you click on that surrounds about 10 pixels wide and 100 pixels vertically for the slider. So it doesn't matter if you are a mile away from the slider graphic, you can still move it and click it into position.

As for knobs and their types, many have been substituted for value-based ones. If I feel the knobs need more in the way of indicators to bring the GUI design together, I might consider that.

The design of every single element in how they can be presented is one of the key things I'm always looking at, but things need to be done in stages and be carefully considered. The sliders I've never had a problem with, they haven't changed in 7 years, but of course, I have actually evolved them in a way that they may come into play in other areas. :wink:

The GUI's presented, are over a month old and have and will change further as functional elements are developed, which at this stage I'm not posting any screenshots. This is the most complicated and biggest reskinning project I've ever attempted, but I can be confident that it will be worth it in the end.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

This is a leaked / sneak-peak image of the project. I'm not going to say a lot about it, but it will give you some clues. This isn't photoshopped to look like this, it's a screen grab from the VST as it sits in Studio One. There are secrets about this image you don't know about, as well as what else has been developed elsewhere. The project is expected to be completed by the end of April at the latest. :-)

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

If you post screenshots of your own guis , it’s not leaked :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:11 pm This is a leaked / sneak-peak image of the project. I'm not going to say a lot about it, but it will give you some clues. This isn't photoshopped to look like this, it's a screen grab from the VST as it sits in Studio One. There are secrets about this image you don't know about, as well as what else has been developed elsewhere. The project is expected to be completed by the end of April at the latest. :-)

Cant see anything, too dark :-(

Edit: good april 1st joke by posting black picture, but you are late 1 day :-D

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:33 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:11 pm
Cant see anything, too dark :-(

Edit: good april 1st joke by posting black picture, but you are late 1 day :-D
It's dark for a number of reasons. It's not an April fool's image either.

Indeed, there's nothing April about it.

While I appreciate that you’re working with layout, i’m not sure if a 20-tab design is the best choice for hive

The amount of weird statements and feedback neglect in the OP's posts here is just glorious. Very entertaining, keep it up!

That’s how he rolls
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I gave myself a deadline to try and meet but as I kinda expected, that would slip due to the complexity of the scripting process, creating new graphics, and coming up with ideas on how to implement things. So far the script file has expanded to over 30 thousand lines of code, which is like an extra 10 thousand. The major bulk of the hard work has been done now so, it's more of a matter of filling in the gaps that I've made available for myself in regard to the design changes and removing or changing some elements.

What I will reveal is one of the screens, which is the new browser design. This integrates both the Tune Files and the patches in addition to the other new features.

The 'Navigator' control panel now integrates patch browsing buttons and can be moved anywhere around the GUI.

Taking time out from my holiday, an update:

I'm making this post to offer an apology for the initial preview video thread title (later re-titled for clarity), which some had confused as a new product in the way it read to be interpreted to be. It was never intended to confuse or mislead anyone. Given the numbers and updates to this thread over the months, I'd had, assumed many would have recognised what I was revealing. A clear description was provided in the opening post making clear that this was a re-design project I was doing myself which has taken many months of development. The name of the synth was actually revealed in the screenshots above, where it reads HIVE 3D XT TI. (Yes it's very small but still legible). 3D and TI were dropped because the real 3D stuff wasn't included in the preview, and TI refers to 'The Intrancer'. When naming the redesign (skin), I didn't consider what else a developer might call their synth in the future. My mind doesn't work like that, it works in the present, of what exists and what doesn't. If it doesn't exist, and it's got my username tagged on it, then it's going to be unique in finding in online searches. In any case, if I wanted to deceive anyone, I wouldn't have given a description in the opening post and simply posted the video. I honestly don't care how many views it would get or how many replies. Many of my threads on KVR range from a few hundred to somewhere around ninety thousand views and hundreds of posts. I probably have more threads than most in the time I've been on KVR and how to engage an audience with a good title is part of that, but I do try not to create clickbate titles. I simply didn't see it as being one, but within a day or so I did change it. I've never requested for a thread to be deleted before, but I did for this one. When the project is completed, I will create a new video. The skin for the synth will be renamed in a way that it can not be confused with any other, and if you've read my skin names you'll know how elaborate they can be.

Developing, what I can only describe now as a highly complex GUI system to design and create, takes a lot of time (several hundred of hours) and as a consequence money (the electricity bill). Some skins I've created were intended to be sold due to the quality and time that went into them. Collectively, I've probably given away over 100 skins since 2013 across the forums I've been on. The best of these over recent years are on KVR and other forums. I make nothing from my site, it's Advert-Free so when I direct you there, it's simply for your benefit and convinces and to tell me what is popular and isn't, simply by numbers, so I can determine what people actually want.

I can always somehow drag a metal detector through a thread to find what I need to know about in regard to suggestions for a design, regardless of how it's being delivered. Likewise, I get a sense and then an idea forms, then come the solutions in how to implement them. For Hive (and whatever the final skin name will be), it will be really cool and a number of people will be provided a link to down it for free, including non-testers.

This might be skin to some, but it will be no ordinary skin design on release, whether you like it or not...
There will be no more updates, and I won't be responding to this post.

Finally, if I've singled you out and annoyed you in any way, I'm sorry, it's never intentional unless an attack is obvious where I may respond, more often than not though, I'll simply ignore and or have a moderator deal with it.
I will not hesitate to request the removal of my own threads on KVR, particularly when they may exist on other forum websites and are respected.

I wish you all a happy summer...

Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m79BJj44lc

Return to “Instruments”