How to write such melodies (Scooter Hard Trance) on piano roll?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This sound sick. I can spend my whole life in front of a piano roll, and I'm unlikely to be able to replicate anything like that on a piano roll.
It's pure chaos but it sounds fantastic and I'm trying to understand how this melody works.
These notes are so short that using my ear I can't pick them up.
I once heard that songs with fast notes can be moved, for example, an octave down, and then they become slower and it is easier to play such a melody.
But it doesn't seem to work in this case. Moving this melody down an octave makes the chaos not pass and even sounds completely different.
I only noticed that the whole melody is really 1 measure that repeats over and over again.
I tried different grid settings in FL Studio 1/2 step, 1/4 step, 1/3 step, 1/2 step, 1/6 beat, 1/4 beat, 1/3 beat, 1/2 beat and nothing it helped, I still can't create what could sound similar.
This track is not really fast (142-145 bpm). There are tracks in the hardcore style that have 160-180 bpm and I am at least partially able to understand how melody works.
This just sounds like a swarm of bees passing by!

It starts at 01:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_-jnUeftY

Well, Enduring the first minute or two not much but a 'big sound' & plenty of syncopation. I hear root note hit alot on different instruments in different octaves plus the 'fifth' of what appears to be a minor chord not yet fleshed out but when it does & there is a definite minor chord hit it sounds like root minor up a 4th minor back to root minor...IE Cminor-Fminor-Cminor....ETC...I am not matching to a key as I am not playing along...

The arping easier to figure just play the tune slower many apps to play tune slower without affecting pitch download the video as MP3 like from x2convert.com then load up in much slower speed...

Ima say it:

Not to poo poo on the song (I like it) but that’s a pretty simple sounding arpeggio. I hope the bit about “I could spend my whole life trying and not replicate something like this” was exaggeration lol.

I can make the notes out just by slowing down the YT playback speed.

What’s probably making you say it’s so amazing is just all the added effects, on top of a harmonically complex sound (which again not to rag but imo sounds almost exactly like the DIVA Digital VCO INIT patch lol). FX can make the simplest of melodies sound more complex than they actually are.

The arp has a short, staccato like decay, but big release. This makes the sound washy and a bit unclear, also, it makes it appear bigger and more complex than what it actually is. And when you add some reverb and ping-pong delay bouncing around you have this effect of an arp giving the illusion of speed and complexity.

Adding a 3/16th tempo delay does magic indeed.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

After a quick listen (I did not use spectrum analysis), at 01:52 and for some time onwards, seems like a C5 "chord" (C, G). Comparable to powerchords in metal, except not much (if any) distortion in this case.

The four-bar progression that comes later, with bass included, seems to be:
C5; bass = C, arps = C, G
C5; bass = C, arps = C, G
G#5 (or Ab5); bass = G#, arps = D#, G#
A#5 (or Bb5); bass = A#, arps = F, A#

It's in C minor, by that logic. If we go with formal music theory, using note names "G#" and "A#" would be incorrect; "Ab" and "Bb" would be used instead (the actual pitch of course is exactly the same in 12-TET).
FL Studio's pianoroll on default settings will probably show them as G# and A#.

The arpeggios are in the piano roll as 16th notes, which are "steps" in FL Studio terminology. The sound however is shorter than the note; that can be achieved either by making synth's envelope shorter than MIDI notes played, or, indeed, by shortening the MIDI notes and making sure that synth's envelope does not allow sound to continue after note-off.
In terms of music theory, that'd be called "staccato".

In roman numerals, that four-bar progression could be said to be "i-i-bVI-bVII". Except, in this case - chords being intervals called a "fifth" (even though it's 7 pitch lines on a 12-TET piano roll) - the letter case in roman numerals, which would usually mean minor or major chord, does not signify what's actually sounding there. It is however useful in suggesting what chords/notes may complement those "fifths".

Some of "bee swarm" impression is probably due to synth sound being multiple saw waves with their oscillator pitches noticeably detuned? :)

Attached is an example .flp file with 3xOsc synths:
Scooter - Watch Out - arpeggios approximation (FLS2084).zip
Sounds thinner (chorus is used to simulate additional oscillators), but suffices for consideration of music theory. Should open in any edition of FL Studio, v20.8.4 and newer.

By the way, FL Studio forums have a sound recreation section:
https://forum.image-line.com/viewforum.php?f=1949
If no-one there is replying, posting on Looptalk might be acceptable too :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Theory”