Any interest in a Discord server?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discord is on FIRE thanks to Flipcoder for getting this rolling and look forward to seeing more folks over there.

Wow, I am amazed of the amount of activity there.
As a newcomer to Discord, can anybody explain to me what the appeal of Discord versus a more traditional forum like KVR is?
One thing I note is the structure or lack thereof. When there are no per post topics, I guess it becomes less formal and more like a casual conversation among a group of people. But I suppose also quite hard to keep track of multiple convos at the same time?
What else makes people want to use discord? I am asking out of sheer curiosity.
Thanks!

LarsDaniel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:43 am Wow, I am amazed of the amount of activity there.
As a newcomer to Discord, can anybody explain to me what the appeal of Discord versus a more traditional forum like KVR is?
Real-time communication, voice channels, "verified" accounts, and livestreaming.
LarsDaniel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:43 am One thing I note is the structure or lack thereof. When there are no per post topics, I guess it becomes less formal and more like a casual conversation among a group of people. But I suppose also quite hard to keep track of multiple convos at the same time?
You can create threads. Server moderators can also create channels dedicated to topics.
LarsDaniel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:43 am What else makes people want to use discord? I am asking out of sheer curiosity.
Thanks!
Third-party integrations with Twitch, Steam, other gaming-related entities, and social-media platforms.

So there is a delay in our communication here since this is not realtime, or? (Sorry, I am just trying to educate myself.)

Well apparently now you can view some US national security secrets on discord.

LarsDaniel wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:30 pm So there is a delay in our communication here since this is not realtime, or? (Sorry, I am just trying to educate myself.)
Yes, another comparison is email vs instant messaging. A defining feature of realtime synchronous communication for text is read/write notifications, whereas asynchronous communication requires a workaround, and/or does not provide it.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I was hesitant to make a Discord because of the risk it could fracture the community into smaller groups. However, it seems to be going well over there, lots of chats about LinnStrument.

I think the nice thing about Discord is that you don't have to go through the officialness of making a thread before dropping a question.

A subtle but key thing is that you don't have to feel like you're spamming a topic because ... like ... everyone does that, because it's discord. And yeah things never end up in the right topic. So signal/noise ratio can be higher but it's also way more engaging and dynamic.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”