Now that Logic Pro is coming to iPad. Is there any chance some apps can get ported to AUv3?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apple have announced that Logic Pro will launch on iPad on 23.5

Is there any chance some apps can get ported to AUv3?

I'd like to know this too.

This has nothing to do with AUv3, which we have working (but which is mutually exclusive with AUv2, hence doesn't currently make sense to pursue). It has everything to do with iPadOS, the App Store and the mobile apps ecosystem.

Here's the dilemma: If we port to iPad, people have to double buy the apps - we can't cross grade between apps and plug-ins. If people buy the apps, they'll expect them to run on MacOS (not doing so means bad shit to happen...). But latter also means we need to price them the same (but people expect waaaay lower prices in that eco system). So no matter what, there's no good way for us to do this. At this point I can't even figure out what it is that needs to happen for things to become viable.

I get so many headaches over these issues, I'd honestly rather spend my time working on new things than the hassle of supporting yet another platform.

It all sounds like work but Pianoteq just launched on iPadOS and you do not have to purchase the apps again. If you own them as VST3 then you own them as AUv3 now as well.

ok... would be interesting to know how they do that.

I just talked to so from Apple the other day (NAMM) and left with the impression that that hadn't changed.

IK Multimedia seem to have a way of doing it as well, download a free app and then unlocks with your IK account that you access though the app (as you get the app free if you buy their hardware)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

With Apple Silicon there can be universal apps that run on iPad and Mac, but those seem to be more designed as iPad apps from the start. The Moog plugins definitely feel like they are just iPad apps running on MacOS. And then there’s the headache of managing 3rd party patch libraries without real file system access.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pianoteq-8/id1642344241

Looks like they do it same way as IK- free APP with in App purchase which is free if you own the VST (or $140 if you don't!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I think Synthmaster connects your user account with the mobile device and allows you to download all the presets you own.

And there was a bundle offer for the affinity graphics apps which unlocked the full version of the iOS apps via the user account.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

CausticPuppy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:21 am With Apple Silicon there can be universal apps that run on iPad and Mac, but those seem to be more designed as iPad apps from the start. The Moog plugins definitely feel like they are just iPad apps running on MacOS. And then there’s the headache of managing 3rd party patch libraries without real file system access.
I think that‘s the reason why the AUv3 question came up. Running apps as plugins isn‘t supported in v2, as far as I know.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

The Moog plugins are the only AUv3 plugins I’ve tried that don’t feel just like iOS plugins to me, they integrate nicely in hosts that support AUv3 or via wrappers, unlike say Virsyn Tera or Drambo that are unusable on Mac or Audulus which won’t authorise

Urs wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 am
I get so many headaches over these issues, I'd honestly rather spend my time working on new things than the hassle of supporting yet another platform.
I would also rather you spend your time working on new things too.

Besides the hassle of supporting another platform, there is also the aspect of being touchscreen based.

I spent some time exploring music software on my iPad Pro. My conclusion was that I preferred using the mouse to edit software synths that are organized in the same way as desktop plugins. There are too many small controls that are finicky on the touchscreen. IMO, to truly take advantage of the touch interface requires redesign of the GUI's. That's why the iPad apps I like best were designed for that to begin with.

My favorite iOS synth is Borderlands. The touch interface is fantastic, but it is designed and conceived for that interface. Borderlands doesn't use Midi at all. You do not trigger note pitches. I find it so fun and useful. (I treat my iPad as a Borderlands hardware synth)

IMO, if you just took Hive and put it on the iPad touchscreen, I would rather use it on my Mac (from an ergonomic sound design perspective)

Urs wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:49 am This has nothing to do with AUv3, which we have working (but which is mutually exclusive with AUv2, hence doesn't currently make sense to pursue). It has everything to do with iPadOS, the App Store and the mobile apps ecosystem.

Here's the dilemma: If we port to iPad, people have to double buy the apps - we can't cross grade between apps and plug-ins. If people buy the apps, they'll expect them to run on MacOS (not doing so means bad shit to happen...). But latter also means we need to price them the same (but people expect waaaay lower prices in that eco system). So no matter what, there's no good way for us to do this. At this point I can't even figure out what it is that needs to happen for things to become viable.

You have enough on your plate that we are waiting for without bothering with a consumer device with planned obsolescence. I was straight iOS for several years. The hoops Apple makes their developers jump through would drive you crazy. This was one of the reasons I moved to Linux and started purchasing your products--you've stayed away from the subscription-based, planned obsolescence throwaway part of consumerism that I hate. You've also stuck with serial copy protection. Again, thanks for supporting Linux! I look forward to Zebra 3, the updated Hive with automatic wavetable sampling importing, and the updated Uhbik. :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:19 am IK Multimedia seem to have a way of doing it as well, download a free app and then unlocks with your IK account that you access though the app (as you get the app free if you buy their hardware)
AFAIK this doesn't mean you can use your computer based licenses simply on iPad as well.

From their FAQ:
Will my app purchases transfer between iOS, Android, and Mac/Windows versions?
It is not possible to transfer an app purchase or any in-app purchases between various versions of our apps on different platforms such as iOS (iPhone/iPad), Android (phones/tablets), or Mac/Windows computers.

For example, a purchase of the AmpliTube app for iPhone will not open access to the AmpliTube app in the Google Play Store or on your Mac/Windows computer.

Another example, a purchase of in-app content in the iGrand Piano app for Android will not transfer over to iGrand Piano for iPhone/iPad.

I'm sure you can find this out for yourself, but just in case it helps. I have had an app on the app store (education field, so specifics not important) for a couple of years. Many of the features are free by default but it offers and upgrade as an in app-purchase.

The upgrade can be purchased in any of the app stores (Microsoft, Apple IOS, Google Play), via the website (automated) or by official purchase order.

The restrictions are that the price has to be the same on the website and app stores (can't remember if that is only IOS, might be Google, too) and that Apple required there to be an option to buy completely anonymously. If the user chooses anonymous, it is explained that they will be limited to that platform (only offered on IOS to avoid this being used unless required). If they choose to provide a contact email when they create an account then they can log in on any platform and use the upgraded features anywhere.

As it is kind of useless to not create an account, no one has chosen anonymous. Most purchase are via website or purchase order, but the options are there.

Anyway, just to give you an idea of possible ways around the anonymous purchase problem.

Return to “u-he”