2023: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2023)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My 0-CNTRL arrived today :D

tcc_makenoise_box_may_2022.jpg

tcc_0-control_box_contents_2022.jpg

tcc_makenoise_0-cntrl_2022.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nice one… And this is when I get that itch for 0-Ctrl #2

elxsound wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:13 am I get that itch for 0-Ctrl #2
I'm gonna need a bigger room :help: :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:40 am My 0-CNTRL arrived today :D
nice! it should play well with the taiga, I've been using it with the west pest (fed into strega) and neutron

Mystic Circuits Blinkus arrived. I'm really waiting on Spectraphon and Gliss but this is a fun gizmo.

Four jacks, four LEDs, a sort of ring configuration. If you use one of the jacks as an input, you get almost-rectification on the next jacks clockwise or counterclockwise around the ring, and a sort of waveshaper on the opposite side (it turns a sine into a bipolar squiggle with flat areas at 0V). But the real fun is using two or three jacks as inputs, for variations of dirty ringmod and screwed-up panner, etc. I'm not going to try to analyze all the different combinations, just plug stuff in and see what it does for my patch at the time.

That looks really cool and might be fun with some LDRs!
Currently my favorite things are all of the "just plug stuff in and see what it does" variety.
Friendship with precision has ended. Now chaos and indeterminacy is my best friend.

I'm kind of thinking about a Lyra-8 again, or maybe a Tocante.

With the Lyra-8 I know what I'd be getting into. I loved playing it, and the controls are very good and expressive. The sound started to feel a little bit samey over time, but I think if I approached it as the raw material for further processing (like I often do when playing bass) it would open up a bit more.

Tocante seems very neat, expressive in a different way from the Lyra-8. It has its own tuning but can also be bent and self-modulated with touch. The Bistab version has a sort of Lyra-8 vibe to it and I bet it'd sound amazing through Strega. The Phashi version is a bit more pure-toned (going kind of toward brassy) and probably works well with various kinds of distortion. I think the Karplus and Thyris versions would suit specific pieces but be more of a challenge to work universally.

I also considered a Tetrax or Deerhorn Organ, but I'm not sure I want to open the doors to banana format stuff. Next thing you know I'd have to have a Cocoquantus and a Double Knot and so on...

foosnark wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm I'm kind of thinking about a Lyra-8 again, or maybe a Tocante.

With the Lyra-8 I know what I'd be getting into. I loved playing it, and the controls are very good and expressive. The sound started to feel a little bit samey over time, but I think if I approached it as the raw material for further processing (like I often do when playing bass) it would open up a bit more.

Tocante seems very neat, expressive in a different way from the Lyra-8. It has its own tuning but can also be bent and self-modulated with touch. The Bistab version has a sort of Lyra-8 vibe to it and I bet it'd sound amazing through Strega. The Phashi version is a bit more pure-toned (going kind of toward brassy) and probably works well with various kinds of distortion. I think the Karplus and Thyris versions would suit specific pieces but be more of a challenge to work universally.

I also considered a Tetrax or Deerhorn Organ, but I'm not sure I want to open the doors to banana format stuff. Next thing you know I'd have to have a Cocoquantus and a Double Knot and so on...
I’ve also been considering a Lyra-8 since I’ve been getting so much use from the Pulsar-23. The times I tried them out, I loved the sounds.

Cocoquantus and Double Knot are such a fun combo. That may be the focus of my next video.

C-L stuff is not nearly as confounding as I anticipated, so I’ll probably end up with a Plumbutter 2 and a Rollzer at some point, as well.

I hope to try out a Pulsar-23 sometime. I don't really need a drum machine, but I've heard some interesting drone stuff from it too, and slower ambient-ish bits. It might be a little limited for that though.

foosnark wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm I'm kind of thinking about a Lyra-8 again
I made this with my Lyra-8, during the lockdown in 2020 ...

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/lockdown-2020

foosnark wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:44 pm I'm kind of thinking about a Lyra-8 again, or maybe a Tocante.

I ordered something related to this... it's arriving Tuesday
Shouldn't be samey
Can you guess what it is?

Constructed Identity wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:32 pm I ordered something related to this... it's arriving Tuesday
Shouldn't be samey
Terra?

foosnark wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:12 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:32 pm I ordered something related to this... it's arriving Tuesday
Shouldn't be samey
Terra?
No, it isn't new. Not old either, the prototype was on YouTube three years ago. That immediately sounds like something from Behringer, but it isn't. I think you could describe it as electro-acustic. :borg: I wanted to buy it in 2022.
Enough hints

Pre-ordered a Behringer Edge from Andertons. All(edge)dly arriving in August.
Obviously I’ll believe it when I see it.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Well, now I'm leaning very hard toward a Sidrax. I've watched several performances and it's pretty clear that it doesn't need other banana gear to shine --- playing it unpatched or self-patched is pretty great. It costs more than a Lyra, but seems to be more expressive and the sound seems both a little more tameable and variable. I've read a few people saying they bounced off the Lyra but wound up loving Sidrax and/or Tetrax.

I looked into other banana stuff (C-L, Lorre-Mill, Bugbrand) and I don't think I'll be too tempted. I'd be curious to play with them but not curious enough to throw that much money. The lo-fi looper thing Cocoquantus can do, I can already cover. It's really about the polyphonic, freely tunable, self-modulating, self-contained instrument.

Still going to wait until after Spectraphon arrives and see how that shakes out before I make any moves though.

I watched/listened to some lovely things with the Pulsar-23, which were using it more as an ambient drone and soundscape machine. But I'm not sure at the price I can justify it... again, it's more of a curiosity thing than a must-have.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”