Logic Pro for iPad Announced! (subscription)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to show plugins their full size instead of the shrunken view (I don’t mean the tile view - even expanded they are still half sized)

Scotty wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:12 am Bones you are on an Logic for iPad thread.
Yes, because I am quite interested to see what they do here and what sort of performance they can get.
You don’t like Apple or respect their users it would seem
Why should that stop me from taking an interest? Who knows, it may change my mind if they can find something for an iPad to do that is actually useful and not toy-like. There is no value in being narrow-minded.
revvy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:59 pmYou should stay the f**k out of iPad threads, you sad troll who doesn’t have anything to add.
Not sure if you've noticed but, at that point, there was nothing of value for anyone to add, as the product hadn't been released.

Anyway, it sounds like it's got plenty of features but can you open projects from your Mac on the iPad version? Or vice versa? It would seem a little pointless if you can't.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:42 am Not sure if you've noticed but, at that point, there was nothing of value for anyone to add, as the product hadn't been released.
Sure, but “I use a cheap, cutdown version of S1 on my PC/Surface” is kinda ‘whatever’ no?

On topic: still not up for a Logic sub, personally, but looking forward to watching a few videos on this to see what’s up.

Also, today’s Logic (Mac) update includes “Adds project roundtrip capabilities with Logic Pro for iPad”.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

As a really really long time iPad music producer I have to admit that this is a huge implementation for iPad. Said so, nowadays I prefer to bring with me my Air with full Logic then producing on IPad. It is a good option to have if You are 100% on mobility, other then that I will not renew subscribe fee just to flex one day in a month what I already have on the Air.
But it is just the beginning so kudos to Apple to bring Logic on IPad (with well known Apple time;-))

revvy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:58 am“I use a cheap, cutdown version of S1 on my PC/Surface” is kinda ‘whatever’ no?
I use a cheap, cut-down version of Studio One everywhere. It's all I need but I can open projects from the full version in Artist, and vice versa. I'd probably use the free version if it had VST support.

It's interoperability that interests me. You can open a Cubasis project in Cubase, via a utility, but you can't go the other way which, to my mind, is stupid and makes Cubasis a waste of time. But it seems you can seamlessly move projects between macOS and iPad, which is pretty damned cool by comparison and makes Logic Pro look like a much better bet, at least for Mac users. Tha tit can also import Garageband projects takes it even further.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A good review of how much you can run on Logic with different types of iPad....

https://youtu.be/8IXRBHKB63E
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

No Punch In recording? :?

Seems like a weird thing to leave out, though maybe they simply have it on the “to do” list and didn’t get to it before release. :neutral:
Yo Leroy!

I dunno, to me that's not something you'd need in a portable DAW, it's more for a proper studio situation.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:23 am I dunno, to me that's not something you'd need in a portable DAW, it's more for a proper studio situation.
With a 13 inch M2 iPad plugged in to a control keyboard you pretty much have a real studio...portable or not.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:23 am I dunno, to me that's not something you'd need in a portable DAW, it's more for a proper studio situation.
Except they have Record MIDI FX to Pattern as an option, something they only recently added to desktop, and with portable seems like you’d want Punch In even more than on desktop since you probably have less time being on the go.

I have to think it will be added. Cubasis has it. It’s a handy feature.
Yo Leroy!

I'm not sure how that works. Punch-in is a pretty specific thing for studio work, I don't see why you'd be doing it in the park or at the beach and you certainly wouldn't be doing it on stage.
SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:56 amWith a 13 inch M2 iPad plugged in to a control keyboard you pretty much have a real studio...portable or not.
But no-one is going to build a proper studio around it, are they? It's not the ethos of the iPad, if you like.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 pm But no-one is going to build a proper studio around it, are they? It's not the ethos of the iPad, if you like.
That will probably be a thing of the past. The new iPads are overpowered CPU wise and fully capable of running a full studio. Messing around with it, my only complaint is they made Alchemy into a rompler more or less for it, hopefully that changes.

And they have how many USB ports? Nobody in their right mind is going to build a studio around an iPad.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:20 am And they have how many USB ports? Nobody in their right mind is going to build a studio around an iPad.
The 'one' port with a doc is the perfect solution for the best of both worlds. I have never had a laptop that I didn't end up using a dock with anyway, and the new USB3/thunderbolt docks are fabulous- monitors, headphone port, SD reader, ethernet, power, loads of speed...)

No different to my laptop docked really.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BYEASY-Multipo ... 7276546204

Right, because every manufacturer of USB I/O devices recommends that you use them with a dock for best performance. Again, you are building a studio, you are not going to kludge it up like that. Seriously, punch-in recording is the last thing I'd expect in a portable solution.

Apple would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they made the iPad version a 1:1 clone of the macOS version. It definitely needs file compatibility but it just makes good business sense to hold back functionality, to encourage people to upgrade to get a better experience. It should be more like Studio One Artist - fully compatible but not full-featured. Otherwise you risk losing customers for the macOS version, and with it sales of Mac computers.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”