Arturia FX Collection 4 out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Though I am big uad user and a fan of their plugins but not the company. I would believe Michael (whom I have worked as a beta tester with for years) over UAD's word 99.9999999% of the time.
I remember an argument I had about UAD's Dimension vs Arturia's where I was taking the position of UAD with regard to the button options. They wouldn't even agree to me quoting what they said in their email to me saying their position was accurate. I developed way less trust of their 'word' since then.
rsp
sound sculptist

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:30 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:22 pm
hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:53 pm Well, as you may know Lexicon lost the 224 code decades ago, so UA blackboxed it from scratch. General consensus on the UA 224 has always been that it's not quite right. I don't know if Arturia modeled bugs, but they did model the AD/DA converters. Consensus on Arturia is they nailed it.
It's the 480 code that was destroyed. 224 code was never lost.
That's incorrect. Here is what Michael Carnes (formerly of Lexicon) said in 2009:

"Unless David Griesinger has a copy of 224 code squirreled away (something he says he doesn't), that code was lost 15 years ago when the company sold the computers that built it. Recreating that code would take a substantial amount of time."

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm This "consensus" you speak about in both cases - I'd like to see the data. The consensus that the UA 224 is " not quite right" and the consensus that Arturia "nailed it". :?:
That's just my read on it, from reading discussions about both on Gearslutz/space. When UA's 224 came out there was a lot of comparisons to the hardware and the consensus was they weren't quite the same. But of course people who own the hardware will always say that.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:08 pm edit: want to add, from UA's 224 manual:

"Using the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware, the Lexicon 224 plug-in precisely captures all eight legendary reverb programs and the chorus program — based on the Lexicon 224's final and hard-to-find firmware version 4.4. The Lexicon 224 plug-in also incorporates the original hardware's input transformers and early AD/DA 12-bit gain stepping converters."
Arturia also modeled the transformers and converters and 4.4 firmware. UA's claim they used "the exact algorithms and control processor code from the original hardware" is highly suspect, given what we know.
Michael did say that, but he misspoke.

Also notice how you don't see UAD claim they used the exact algorithms for their 480. They modeled the algorithms.
I don't think Michael misspoke. He wrote this back when he was at Lexicon porting the PCM 96 to the PCM Bundle. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about better than you.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... stcount=38

He says it again here:
The actual source code was lost many many years ago. I don't have a 224, so I'm going to wing it on this one.
rsp
sound sculptist

Well, Dave Greisinger himself confirmed that indeed it was not the 224 code that was lost, but rather the 480.

Source?

Gearslutz. I am sure you will be able to find it.

I mean, it jives. UA specifically say they're using the 224's EXACT algorithms and LEXICON approved it. Nowhere in any 480 ad copy do you see them making the same claim for that plugin.

Anybody knows how long the upgrade price will be active?
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

adl wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:54 pm Anybody knows how long the upgrade price will be active?
Front page of the Arturia website says "To celebrate the launch, FX Collection 4 will be available at a special intro price for new & registered users, with discounts starting at $/€200 off, until June 20th. Login to unlock your exclusive price. "

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 pm Gearslutz. I am sure you will be able to find it.

I mean, it jives. UA specifically say they're using the 224's EXACT algorithms and LEXICON approved it. Nowhere in any 480 ad copy do you see them making the same claim for that plugin.
https://gearspace.com/board/geekzone/38 ... ost4323098

Thanks. Cause I could not only not find the post I couldn't find any post by Dave.
I would though imagine Michael would know what he coded from, and I think Casey left Lexicon before Michael did.
Though it is possible that Dave had the code and didn't want to give it to Lexicon for whatever reason but did to uaudio.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

.......aaaaaand when people listen to the mixes 'we' make, they will never hear the difference between uad's, arturia's and lexicons 224. Because they all sound good :D

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 pm Same here, yet that makes my upgrade $29... which seems pretty steep considering people are saying they can update from v1 $99. WTF?
My price is $99 and I don't even have V1 (not that I'll be getting it, I have no NEED)

So Michael Carnes said on several occasions the 224 code was lost and Dave Greisinger told him he doesn’t have a copy.

Casey Dowdell said, “AFAIK David does still have the 224 code base. It was the 480 code base that was somehow destroyed.”

That’s far from a direct firsthand confirmation from Dave Greisinger himself.

Casey also said:
I need to correct myself.

As I was thinking back over the related conversation, it wasn't that David was thinking about doing a plugin, he was wondering about doing new algorithms for existing 224s.

Sorry for confusing the issue.
So his recollection on the matter may be unreliable.

Michael, on the other hand was currently at Lexicon porting algorithms to plugins at the time when he said it, and seems to have been speaking from fresh firsthand knowledge about what algorithms were available.

So, I would say all of it is inconclusive one way or another.

Regardless of what’s going on with Lexicon’s original 224 code or UA’s version, the Arturia LX-24 is an accurate recreation of the 224, and is worth a $49 upgrade, if you can get it.

So the only new plugins in the Arturia FX Collection 4 are the following:

Rev LX-24
Dist COLDFIRE
Rotary CLS-222
Filter MS-20

I already have a couple of good sounding Lexicon 224 reverb plugins. But I honestly think Valhalla Vintage Verb sounds better and is much more versatile.

Likewise, I have so many saturation and distortion plugins (e.g., SoundToys Decapitator) that I don't know what to do with them all.

I never use rock organs so a Leslie emulation is just more bloat to me.

And if I want to process a signal with a filter, I will use one of my hardware analog synths that includes an external input. Analog filters almost always sound better than digital emulations, IMO.

So even though my upgrade price is only $69, I think I'm going to pass and just use the many FX plugins that I already own. :tu:
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

VitaminD wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:56 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:40 pm well, that's a no-brainer; upgraded from three free plugins, for 99€
Odd.

On the Effects side, I own Filter Mini, Filter MS-20, REV-Plate 140, Tape Mello-Fi, Chorus JUN-6 (all freebies) plus the paid for 3 Modulations You'll Use bundle (Chorus Dimension D, Phaser Bi-Tron and Flanger BL-20) and my crossgrade price is 199 USD.

Their discount pricing is bizarre. But congrats on the discount!
Same for me, but perhaps Arturia are deepening the discount for users who also own some of their instruments. I don't own V-Collection, so I'm assuming that's why my FX upgrade is $199.

Return to “Effects”