DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

SteveElbows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:21 pm Good news.....

I dont know how to hack around with DrivenByMoss files so I did a test by hacking https://github.com/ffont/push2-python instead.

I changed the name of MIDI ports and the USB Device ID in their code, ran their example code that updates the display, and it worked, the Push 3 display updates and shows what is expected and encoders etc respond. So the Push 3 implementation for display etc is pretty much the same as the Push 2s and has not been locked down.
That's great to hear!

I created a new Push 3 extension by doing the same:
https://mossgrabers.de/stuff/DrivenByMoss-Push3.zip

Could you give this a shot? It requires the latest Bitwig 5 Beta.

Beta 9, DBM 20.2.1. Parameter control still does not update on my SL MK3 or Push 2 when changing devices or tracks. I can force it by going into the controller popup accessed by the little keyboard icons on the upper right of Bitwig. I can do this by selecting Device, and then selecting Track/Device. This updates the popup and the hardware device. But after doing this, changing devices or tracks does not update. Thanks
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

moss wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:17 pm That's great to hear!

I created a new Push 3 extension by doing the same:
https://mossgrabers.de/stuff/DrivenByMoss-Push3.zip

Could you give this a shot? It requires the latest Bitwig 5 Beta.
Bitwig Beta 9.

Device is autodetected and all three dropdown port values are filled in.
Pads and various buttons light up.
But the display isnt updating, the default 'Connect push to a computer and open Live to make music' graphic remains on the display.

I had a fiddle around with some of the settings for your controller extension. eg Display Mode in the debug section, but none of those made anything appear on the screen. Other settings such as display brightness and LED brightness do work.

After quitting bitwig I immediately ran the python thing I modified earlier and it did successfully update the screen just like it did in my initial test.

krankyone wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:01 pm Beta 9, DBM 20.2.1. Parameter control still does not update on my SL MK3 or Push 2 when changing devices or tracks. I can force it by going into the controller popup accessed by the little keyboard icons on the upper right of Bitwig. I can do this by selecting Device, and then selecting Track/Device. This updates the popup and the hardware device. But after doing this, changing devices or tracks does not update. Thanks
Same for my Launchkey mk3 i have sent beta team as told before our bug findings and they replied they will investigate! So i assume Beta 9 came to early to correct this bug
Last edited by questionaire on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dont know if it could be relevant but may as well mention that Push 3 does make its audio interface accessible over the USB connection too, and I dont know if that could have any impact on 'interface numbers' or anything like that within the USB system (you can probably tell I dont really know what Im talking about in this respect).

I am afraid that unfortunately the Minilab 3 is not supported... Would be awesome though...

Same exact thing here on my icon pro g2.

krankyone wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:01 pm Beta 9, DBM 20.2.1. Parameter control still does not update on my SL MK3 or Push 2 when changing devices or tracks. I can force it by going into the controller popup accessed by the little keyboard icons on the upper right of Bitwig. I can do this by selecting Device, and then selecting Track/Device. This updates the popup and the hardware device. But after doing this, changing devices or tracks does not update. Thanks

Kintetikz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:09 pm Same exact thing here on my icon pro g2.

Please sent beta team a bug report. The sooner it gets solved

Do they include and consider third party script issues like this a "bug"? Or only things within the core bitwig software itself

questionaire wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:29 pm
Kintetikz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:09 pm Same exact thing here on my icon pro g2.

Kintetikz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 pm Do they include and consider third party script issues like this a "bug"? Or only things within the core bitwig software itself

Its a bug from bitwig itself their own Launchpad mk3 script has the same behaviour. At least that goes for Launchpad. I assume for the Novation SL its the same. It has nothing to do with the drivenbymoss script.

Kintetikz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 pm Do they include and consider third party script issues like this a "bug"? Or only things within the core bitwig software itself

Its a bug from bitwig itself their own Launchpad mk3 script has the same behaviour. At least that goes for Launchpad. I assume for the Novation SL its the same. It has nothing to do with the drivenbymoss script. At least for me thats clear.

SteveElbows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:44 pm I dont know if it could be relevant but may as well mention that Push 3 does make its audio interface accessible over the USB connection too, and I dont know if that could have any impact on 'interface numbers' or anything like that within the USB system (you can probably tell I dont really know what Im talking about in this respect).
So, did you change anything else besides the product ID in the Python script?

moss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:56 am
SteveElbows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:44 pm I dont know if it could be relevant but may as well mention that Push 3 does make its audio interface accessible over the USB connection too, and I dont know if that could have any impact on 'interface numbers' or anything like that within the USB system (you can probably tell I dont really know what Im talking about in this respect).
So, did you change anything else besides the product ID in the Python script?
No, only the MIDI port names stuff which wouldnt affect the display side of things.

I only included that subsequent speculation in case there are some key differences in how your display code works compared to how that python thing works.

I'm happy to experiment with your code if some experiments are required on my end in order to gain clues about whats wrong with your initial attempt. I'd just need a few pointers on where exactly I should be looking.

OK I have now learnt just enough to be able to have a try with your source code myself. I will report back.

I managed to get Push 3 to display using my only very slightly modified version of the latest master version of your system!

I had to change the MIDI names and Device ID just like you would have done in the Push 3 test version you shared. The only other thing I had to change was the frame header. Yours wasnt the same as the one in the Ableton github documentation or the python example I was using for my testing. So I changed that bit of your code to be the same as the Ableton documentations version of that frame header, and the display came alive.

I dont think I will try to understand in more depth right now. Although I see the right things on the Push 3 display now, the colours are wonky, eg bright blue background instead of black. Were you maybe making use of something undocumented? I dont mind doing any further testing that may be required, but I wont try to understand the rest of your screen driving code, colour system etc without further feedback.

Thanks for listening!

Return to “Controller Scripting”