Cubase 12 vs Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wuworld wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:16 pm
syntonica wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 am
wuworld wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 am Why does Cubase crash so much, and take up so much CPU? Still like it though lol.
Because Mathias left to work for Presonus? :ud:
No more crashes now. Really enjoying CB 12 control room, and Studio One 6 at the same damn time. :hihi:
That's the way to work! A program on each monitor, a mouse in each hand clicking away, sharing tracks, doubling your output. :tu:

Glad to hear the crashing was temporary. Sometimes, just a couple of computer reboots solves the problem. Mac or Win.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:23 pm
wuworld wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:16 pm
syntonica wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 am
wuworld wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 am Why does Cubase crash so much, and take up so much CPU? Still like it though lol.
Because Mathias left to work for Presonus? :ud:
No more crashes now. Really enjoying CB 12 control room, and Studio One 6 at the same damn time. :hihi:
That's the way to work! A program on each monitor, a mouse in each hand clicking away, sharing tracks, doubling your output. :tu:
I'm training my feet also, so I setup 4 monitors with 4 computers. All at the same time. A real one man band. If I only can train my dick to play music, that would be amazing 5 outputs setup :cool:

I knew it was coming :hihi:
Just don't use it for vintage drum pads, especially if you need to play at max velocity.

Pinch to Zoom with a touchpad works in S1 vs https://forums.steinberg.net/t/pinch-to ... pad/129419
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Cubase 12 currently 40% off if that helps you decide!
That probably means there is a paid 0.5 update around the corner!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Steinberg has the most tedious steps for tapping a tempo. Its really odd. I can't be the only one that finds this frustrating in Cubase.

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:14 pm Cubase 12 currently 40% off if that helps you decide!
Those don't exist anymore. Where have you been the past year?

Even still, the cost of upgrades for both daws were almost identical over the course of a Studio One release cycle. $150 vs. $160.

Cost of upgrades for Cubase was never a factor. Only the initial buy-in was - and I think its functional superiority justifies at least that.
Last edited by Trensharo on Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:19 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:14 pm Cubase 12 currently 40% off if that helps you decide!

Even still, the cost of upgrades for both days were almost identical over the course of a Studio One release cycle. $150 vs. $160.

Cost of upgrades for Cubase was never a factor. Only the initial buy-in was - and I think its functional superiority justifies at least that.
Didn't know that, stopped following Steinberg when I left Cubase at V8 (I had been with it since Pro 24 so it was a wrench) and started using Studio One. I did demo 12 but I still prefer Studio One...mainly for the streamlined workflow and better GUI- Cubase may have more advanced features, but I could never find them amongst all the windows and tabs!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:27 pm

Even still, the cost of upgrades for both days were almost identical over the course of a Studio One release cycle. $150 vs. $160.

I left Cubase at V8 (I had been with it since Pro 24 so it was a wrench) and started using Studio One...I did demo 11 and 12 but I still prefer Studio One...mainly for the streamlined workflow and better GUI- Cubase may have more advanced features, but I could never find them amongst all the windows and tabs!
I wasn't responding to your preference, and don't really care why you use what you use. I was responding to that specific statement in the post I referenced.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 pm

I left Cubase at V8 (I had been with it since Pro 24 so it was a wrench) and started using Studio One...I did demo 11 and 12 but I still prefer Studio One...mainly for the streamlined workflow and better GUI- Cubase may have more advanced features, but I could never find them amongst all the windows and tabs!
I wasn't responding to your preference, and don't really care why you use what you use. I was responding to that specific statement in the post I referenced.
Actually you asked where I had been the past year so I told you....

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:14 pmCubase 12 currently 40% off if that helps you decide!
They might even make a sale if the page would load. Idiots.
Spin Boyz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 pm Steinberg has the most tedious steps for tapping a tempo. Its really odd. I can't be the only one that finds this frustrating in Cubase.
I dunno, it's not a feature I would ever even think to look for, much less use.
Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:19 pmCost of upgrades for Cubase was never a factor. Only the initial buy-in was - and I think its functional superiority justifies at least that.
That will entirely depend on your needs. I find zero functional superiority in Cubase, they both do all the things I need them to do, it's just that I prefer the way Studio One does them. Not that cost is a factor, I wouldn't care which was more expensive.
Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 pmI wasn't responding to your preference, and don't really care why you use what you use.
Yes, isn't it terrible when people explain themselves. It's probably quite confronting to realise that people actually make informed decisions and it definitely makes it very hard to argue against them, because it means you need to think about your own choices.

What you need to realise is that whilst someone may be responding to your post, you are not the only one who will read it, so there is no reason to think that it is directed specifically at you.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I couldn't resist! I bought the Cubase upgrade for my LE 12, that is for $49 NZD I got Cubase Elements :hihi:

Well, I sold my Cubase Pro 12 and don't regret it a bit! The Elements is for old projects I have and just to compare. Upgrading the Elements version when in discount is very cheap and a good way to test Cubase. Oh well, it crashed two times just in less than 30 mins :lol: No MODX support, so I chose Mackie Control template. It is ok, it is working but the I suffered from the duplicates midi notes when recording! In S1 I can choose to transmit only channel 1, but in Cubase there is no way to do that! So, I needed to init MODX so it has only one channel to send! (This issue f**ked me in the past, so I just remembered how stupid is the integration of my MODX with Cubase!!).

After two crashes, I closed Cubase (twice of course, that because the superior programs need to be closed twice I guess :hihi: ), I went to and started S1. What a relief! Everything works nice and smooth!

IMO, unless you had many projects and has invested a lot in Cubase (and you like to hit the X button twice when exit) then I think S1 is the better option.

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:11 pm
Trensharo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:29 pm

Actually you asked where I had been the past year so I told you....
I thought the meaning of that rhetorical question was obvious.

Lmao

BONES wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:47 pm Yes, isn't it terrible when people explain themselves. It's probably quite confronting to realise that people actually make informed decisions and it definitely makes it very hard to argue against them, because it means you need to think about your own choices.

What you need to realise is that whilst someone may be responding to your post, you are not the only one who will read it, so there is no reason to think that it is directed specifically at you.
A rageaholic is someone who expresses symptoms of anger in an extreme or unwarranted manner, such as: frequent outbursts. excessive anger with no cause. overreaction of anger to any frustrating situation. quick desire to resort to physical altercations.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Even though I've used Cubase Pro for the past 15 years (after switching from Logic 9 when Apple wasn't doing dick to update the program or their Mac hardware,) I still feel like Steinberg keeps piling on more bloat without reworking legacy features and harmonizing design patterns. There are dialog boxes from 30 years ago still rearing their hideous Windows 95 head in Cubase Pro 12. And features like the arpeggiator haven't been updated since Cubase SX. The whole program needs a complete rewrite from the ground up. Or I can just switch to Studio One v6.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”