Emulations we are still missing 2023 edition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sunrizer is quite like JP-8000 between that and JP6K you cna get quite a lot of similar sounds. As far as emulations missing...Novation Supernova/Nova. Emu Morpheus which was ok.. a rather high frequency absent rack synth from the 90's (not crystaline like the Roland stuff). It did have 1 really nice pad though.

There are a few synth on Roland cloud I would really love to play with but I don't like that model, I like to own a synth and they would be more retro fun than used much.

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:22 am How can you judge the synth by completely different audio demos made within completely different genres.
Maybe because I've owned the same MKS-50 since the 80s, have programmed hundreds of patches for it using the original PG-300 Roland programmer, and know the synth's sonic characteristics inside and out. I think that puts me in a somewhat unique position to say what does and does not sound like an Alpha Juno 2 / MKS-50.

What are your qualifications to have an opinion on the matter? Just because you can post a snarky comment on the Internet doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Uncle E wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm
Deisss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:26 pm - Roland - mks 80 rev 4
- Roland - mks 80 rev 5
I own both. They have great sound quality but are much less interesting sounding to me than almost any other Roland analog. Like really good vanilla.
I occasionally hear comments such as this. I just wonder, are we even listening to the same synth? For the longest time the MKS-80 was the only semi-affordable VCO synth with 8 voices of polyphony. Even better, it sounds killer. The architecture, filter, envelopes, etc. are all sublime. I would take my MKS-80s (rev 4 and rev 5) over any current analog or hybrid synth from Sequential, Arturia, Novation, Korg, UDO, etc. I'm not a fan of "modern analog." These synths sound too precise and often sterile. You might as well use a virtual analog plugin.

The only exception is the Oberheim OB-X8. Now that's what a modern analog poly should sound like.
D-550, EX-8000, Juno 60, Matrix-1000, MicroWave I Rev A, MicroWave II XT, MKS-7, MkS-20 x2, MKS-30, MKS-50, MKS-70, MKS-80 rev 4, MKS-80 rev 5, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pulse 1, Pulse 2, REV2, Shruthi SMR-4 MKII, Shruthi 4MP, Tetra, Virus TI2 keyboard

Ex Machina wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:00 am
Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:22 am How can you judge the synth by completely different audio demos made within completely different genres.
Maybe because I've owned the same MKS-50 since the 80s, have programmed hundreds of patches for it using the original PG-300 Roland programmer, and know the synth's sonic characteristics inside and out. I think that puts me in a somewhat unique position to say what does and does not sound like an Alpha Juno 2 / MKS-50.

What are your qualifications to have an opinion on the matter? Just because you can post a snarky comment on the Internet doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.
If you have started with what you said maybe i wouldve not said anything about it so no need to get snarky yourself :-)

Lbdunequest wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:26 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:02 pm
dionenoid wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:42 pm
kNarf_ wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:47 amJP8080
Chro-8080, JP6K, Navira, various Kontakt banks. Do you really need more ?
Dune 3 can do roland, uhe diva, system 8 by roland too.

Anyways jp 8080 is nothing special anymore, it doesnt have a signature sound.
Yes it does have a signature sound ;)
I would like to see you recreate these sounds in this Video with any of the Examples you came up with as a replacement for the JP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcn9P75-hM
Can you provide the midi?
Sorry i don't have the Midi since the video is not mine but what i mean when i say it has a signature sound is when you consider the sum of all the parts like Oscillator, Filter, Envelope behavior and the built in effects :)

You might get some similar sounds with other stuff but it takes longer to get there by adding external effects and having to closely listen back and forth to get there vs using a a second or two to move some sliders on a JP to get the sound you are after.

Ex Machina wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am I occasionally hear comments such as this. I just wonder, are we even listening to the same synth? For the longest time the MKS-80 was the only semi-affordable VCO synth with 8 voices of polyphony. Even better, it sounds killer. The architecture, filter, envelopes, etc. are all sublime. I would take my MKS-80s (rev 4 and rev 5) over any current analog or hybrid synth from Sequential, Arturia, Novation, Korg, UDO, etc. I'm not a fan of "modern analog." These synths sound too precise and often sterile. You might as well use a virtual analog plugin.
Isnt the MKS-80 like some bastard child of the JP-6 and JP-8?

Ex Machina wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am I would take my MKS-80s (rev 4 and rev 5) over any current analog or hybrid synth from Sequential, Arturia, Novation, Korg, UDO, etc.
Oh, we’re definitely in agreement here. It’s superb sounding. My comment was only comparing it to other vintage Roland’s, which I personally think sound more interesting. Put the MKS-80 up against a Jupiter-6 and it’s hard to believe they share so many of the same components.

mothra wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:07 pm Isn't the MKS-80 like some bastard child of the JP-6 and JP-8?
No. While the MKS-80 shares many of the same components as the Jupiter 6, it doesn't really sound like a Jupiter 6. I think the MKS-80 sounds warmer. But YMMV.

The MKS-80 does not allow you to mix oscillator waveforms and does not have a multimode filter as on the Jupiter 6. However, the MKS-80 is velocity and aftertouch sensitive to both its 4-pole filter and amplitude envelope. Moreover, the MKS-80 is 8-voice polyphonic whereas the Jupiter 6 is only 6-voice polyphonic. And of course, the MKS-80 is a 2U rack mount unit. Incidentally, Retroaktiv makes an awesome hardware programmer for the MKS-80 that is much better than the original Roland programmer.

+1 to all the awesome synths mentioned

I’m addition:
Jupiter 6 (with that magical resonance done properly)
and a Virus TI for Mac

A few times IK and Karzog asked what amps they should model and I suggested a Pignose. Still waiting! 🤪
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Moog Prodigy. Your move Softube.

I really regret not buying one of them when they could be had for $500. at the time it seemed like an impossible amount of money. Now that’s like 4 cups of coffee.

What am I, the naysayer of this thread? I had a Prodigy and it was pretty lifeless. Many better Moog’s out there, not to mention Softube Model 72 and UA Minimoog.

Moog Source is another one

I'd like to see more original synths/effects. Not emulations.
Waiting for Xfer Serum 2.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland SH-5
Moog Voyager
Moog Sub37
DSI Pro 2
A good sounding ARP26000

Return to “Instruments”