HY Slicer 2 Rumors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HY-Slicer HY-Slicer2

Eh, in all honesty I liked the the workflow in HY-Slicer far better: it was a more conservative feature set but you could kickstart ideas in a bunch of clicks. Slice by grid, auto slice assign, all lane randomizations in the main UI page or just one tab away...

With Slicer2 I have the weird feeling that a lot of what I'd be looking for has been removed, like topaz noted above, or otherwise moved to some inconvenient place in the UI, like the parameter lanes, that I'm apparently supposed to browse and edit one by one now.

From my experience, Tadashi is willing to listen to user suggestions, and if he's dropped some feature between one major release and the next, he might eventually bring them back at some point. That's what I hope it will happen because right now I think Slicer2 has turned into a slicing/looping powerhouse...that takes at least twice the time to accomplish anything practical in comparison with Slicer.

Just my 2 cents,

--
Marco

EDIT: Another thing that I think was a downgrade as far as the UI is concerned: As i said, in Slicer you had the essential tools for slicing and arranging right in front of you, at a glance; in Slicer2 there's a whole bunch of interface real estate occupied by sections you don't need to keep visible at all times, IMHO the sample browser and the mixer should be collapsible; if you could hide them and scale the UI up accordingly, the main part of the interface (that is, the slice/parameter sequencers) wouldn't feel that small any longer
Last edited by vulpes777 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regards size - it's pretty ok at 200% at 2k display at least (and this is keep between host sessions). But i'm not sure if this intended dimension, since in v1 resize look ok (have similar size) already at 130%. Whereas 200% is maximal in v2. And 100% looks really small resp. Whereas in v1 pretty readable.

But there is really a bit wory about featurement exactly by compare with v1 (already mention midi mode, and for example groove editor in v1, also additional slicing mode like ajustable sensitivity in v1, not see all it in v2). I'm afraid that there is some simplifications (along with new StepFX addition - that good however). In general did not dig enoughly yet.
But it seems yet that v2 rather as co-working with v1, not replacement.

It now seems like a manual playback machine and not a playable instrument. I thought we would see velocity midi in, drag midi to host.

It’s seems odd to have to manually reconstruct loops with no auto pattern creation. It’s like a completely different product now.

is it an instrument without midi? how do we use it? how do you deal with it? What justification for use in a daw?
like vst glitchmachine, no midi controls (sequencing), it's nonsense.
peace and love for all.

I'm having fun playing with it--it does take more time than previous version, but there are complex possibilities. I'll give it some time to see what familiarity adds to the process.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

f**k yeah been waiting for this for awhile, looks incredible

edit: wake me up when the slicing options are deeper lol

Looks interesting to me - I think the interface works because it is consistent with the other HY plugins. Will demo for a few days but at first glance is a potential buy. Lack of midi integration and slice to grid is fine by me. I would like to see per track outputs tho to make post processing easier. Also VST FX hosting rather than only being able to use the internal effects. Individual track outs would mostly get around that

Just played with the free version and wow! That's the closet thing to LiveSlice until now. Probably gonna buy the full version very soon :D

Below the track lanes, there is a row of lock buttons for each step. I don't see them mentioned in the manual, and I don't see the purpose of them, unless some randomizer is intended to be added. Am I off on this?

I also wonder about the automatic selection of slice points. It does seem handy in getting slices to drag down, but might it be part of a planned update to have some fast way to randomly assign all slices (or a handful) to a track at once?

Great stuff! Tho sometimes I feel a little bad about the free updates, having owned everything for so long, it seems a long time since I've paid for any of his hard work. :shrug:

Wish I could drag samples directly onto lanes.

Does it make sense to use the Hy-Slicer with non-percussive samples?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:54 am Does it make sense to use the Hy-Slicer with non-percussive samples?
Yes it does, although some preconceived idea of what will sound good helps. Chopped vocals, bass loops, synth loops--all sorts of things can work.

I suppose the non-percussive samples should be faded in and faded out or better crossfade the samples if this is possible with Hy-Slicer.

Excellent tool. Perfect for us glitch freaks. I hope they update it to make the lower mixer windows and left side browser window collapsible. They take up too much valuable real estate, making the other areas too small to read on a laptop.

Also, I wonder if this is possible: In Playbeat, for instance, every time 16 beats go by, a randomizer automatically changes which steps gets randomized/affected by panning, ratcheting, etc. Can Slicer2 implement something like this? Prolly not its inherent design, but one never knows.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”