Logic Pro for iPad Announced! (subscription)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really excited to see how competent I can leverage my iPad mini - as a small item in a sling bag, I like to take it everywhere with me. The idea of sketching out an idea really quickly anywhere in the palm of my hand is really intriguing.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:30 am
Scotty wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:57 pmI like that I can make noise with it on the go using just the touch screen and then if I want to integrate it I can attach an interface and record my modular rig and sequence with it. Such a cool device with an incredible software library for not a lot of money (the apps).
The software would want to be cheap because an iPad Pro sure as hell isn't. I was staggered to discover, when I priced one up yesterday, that to match the spec on my Z13 2-in-1 - 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, plus keyboard case and stylus - I would have to spend literally twice as much - Au$3300 for an iPad Pro vs Au$1680 for the Z13. That leaves me Au$1620 to spend on software before I'm out of pocket. I reckon it would take me 4 or 5 years to blow that much on music software.

Of course, the reality is that I don't have to spend one cent on software because all the software I already own runs as well on the Z13 as it does on any other Windows PC, be it a laptop, desktop or whatever. It's an illusion that iPad software is cheap because the fact you have to pay twice is nothing but a rip-off.
A modern Ipad is just an expensive but flawed mobile computer with a touchscreen, an excellent software library and great battery life.
There, I fixed that up for you. Let me ask you this, if iPad is so good, do you still have a laptop? Assuming you do, why?
The interesting is why you, Bones, it’s soooo interesting in Logic Pro and iPad/Mac when you’re a Windows guy and can’t run Logic Pro?

Also, you think iPads are too expensive, but, in reality, how many hours can you run a great DAW in Windows on battery (in mobile situations)?

You, and probably many other “experts” will have opinions that iPad and advanced music making is impossible, but, we don’t care, we move on, iPad platform will grow bigger and bigger…

It’s 2023, not 2013 any longer - the computer power on Apple Silicone is really great and that has opened up for more heavy software on iPad platform…

Perhaps I'm far less narrow-minded than you and like to keep abreast of the entire market, not just a tiny segment of it?

But what Apple do, and the fact so many people are stupid enough to go along with it, still makes no sense. If the iPad is so f**king powerful, why does it still run a toy OS? Why doesn't Apple put macOS on there and be done with it? I'll tell you why - because if they did that they wouldn't be able to sell you everything twice.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Don’t put words in my mouth Bones. Fake quoting someone is not fair game. Take me on honestly or not at all.

I don’t use an iPad Pro , I use an Ipad 6 that I got used for $325 CND. Like your older ASUS laptop it is meeting my needs and interests.

My current laptop is an 13 inch MacBook Pro M1 2020 with 16 gb ram and 512 gb internal SSD, also used for $865 CND last month. I have a dock for it and run a 1TB external drive and hub which also work with my PC and IPad. I personally wouldn’t pay new prices. I bought the MacBook Pro for battery life (excellent) and performance (good enough) for mobile. It runs most of my current audio software that is installed on my PC. It took a while but most of the stuff I use is now Apple silicon native.

I am currently half-way across the second largest country in the world on a 4 week trip. Boondocking and glamping in a travel trailer. Battery life, fun and acceptable performance is what I am chasing,

The iPad serves as a second monitor (wirelessly too) when my wife isn’t using it or when I am not capturing audio jams or manipulating sounds recorded while hiking. It runs a ton of affordable apps which do not appear on Windows or Mac OS which are straight up fun and make having an iPad highly worthwhile to me and countless other audio or graphics nerds.

Why both? Simple, there are countless apps available and optimized for a touch screen interface. The iOS apps are often priced below $10 bucks and many sit at $2.99 or thereabouts. Not all of us are price sensitive to the same degree but I do shop around.

I am platform agnostic. I’ve got Macs here from 1986 ( still have a functional SE30) up to my 2020 MacBook Pro and even more hand built PCs from the Athlon days up to my current workhouse Ryzen 5950x. I’ve been building PCs for years.. It is common for people to have more than one device. I have a phone, TV and a set of walkie-talkies too. imagine that.

I would suggest a few IOS apps to take a look at if you are truly curious. if you are just bored and spoiling for a conflict I’m not interested. Life is short and not everyone gets their 83 years.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:30 am
Scotty wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:57 pmI like that I can make noise with it on the go using just the touch screen and then if I want to integrate it I can attach an interface and record my modular rig and sequence with it. Such a cool device with an incredible software library for not a lot of money (the apps).
The software would want to be cheap because an iPad Pro sure as hell isn't. I was staggered to discover, when I priced one up yesterday, that to match the spec on my Z13 2-in-1 - 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, plus keyboard case and stylus - I would have to spend literally twice as much - Au$3300 for an iPad Pro vs Au$1680 for the Z13. That leaves me Au$1620 to spend on software before I'm out of pocket. I reckon it would take me 4 or 5 years to blow that much on music software.

Of course, the reality is that I don't have to spend one cent on software because all the software I already own runs as well on the Z13 as it does on any other Windows PC, be it a laptop, desktop or whatever. It's an illusion that iPad software is cheap because the fact you have to pay twice is nothing but a rip-off.
A modern Ipad is just an expensive but flawed mobile computer with a touchscreen, an excellent software library and great battery life.
There, I fixed that up for you. Let me ask you this, if iPad is so good, do you still have a laptop? Assuming you do, why?

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:03 am Perhaps I'm far less narrow-minded than you and like to keep abreast of the entire market, not just a tiny segment of it?

But what Apple do, and the fact so many people are stupid enough to go along with it, still makes no sense. If the iPad is so f**king powerful, why does it still run a toy OS? Why doesn't Apple put macOS on there and be done with it? I'll tell you why - because if they did that they wouldn't be able to sell you everything twice.
Ok, so now we “others” stupid also?

Have seen others mention you as a stubborn guy with no sense of humor or good behavior…

Speaking about iPadOS as toy?
What do you know about that? It has everything I need and applications runs smoothly and great on this platform - I’ve gotten really Pro apps also, photo editing, designer apps, desktop publishing app, great word processor and spreadsheet app, huge amount of pro music apps, etc etc etc…

If I had to choose between my Mac and iPad I choose the iPad, easy choice…
Last edited by ErrkaPetti on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:03 am Perhaps I'm far less narrow-minded than you
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

biomechanoid wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:34 pm
BONES wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:03 am Perhaps I'm far less narrow-minded than you
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I’m sure he’s got a big grin on his face when he writes stuff like that…right…?
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Been thinking about the subscription recently and I'm convinced that Apple has priced it that way because they will be bringing touch screen Macbooks in the next few years, it wouldn't make sense to make people pay for a full price version knowing this (although a touchscreen Mac might have access to the iPadOS app store)
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an app update within the next few weeks right before the trial expires to help entice users not to cancel it. I’ll be curious to know what they prioritize in their first major update to give us an idea of what they’re focusing their development time on. New features and content packs or closing the gap between iPad and Mac for greater platform parity.

I've been using iPad Logic for an hour or so a day, writing music on my commute, and it's pretty good. I'd like to see a score/staff notation editor (StaffPad is a really great experience with a tablet and pencil, but it would be nice to have it integrated into Logic and be able to switch back and forth with laptop Logic etc). Would also prefer to be able to buy a license outright, but $60 a year is cheap enough for a DAW that I don't care.

I don't see myself using it for a track start-to-finish, but for sketching it's great.

Scotty wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:58 amI don’t use an iPad Pro , I use an Ipad 6 that I got used for $325 CND. Like your older ASUS laptop it is meeting my needs and interests.
My Asus 2-in-1 is a current model - 12th Gen Core i5 and exactly the same version of Windows 11 as my laptop. It cost me a lot of money. I've had used Surface Pros in the past, because they are ridiculously cheap once they come off corporate leases. They were never up to the task of performing on stage, though, they were really just toys. I ended up giving my last one away to a friend in need.
I am currently half-way across the second largest country in the world on a 4 week trip. Boondocking and glamping in a travel trailer. Battery life, fun and acceptable performance is what I am chasing
To what end? When I go out bush, I leave all that shit at home. But if battery life is important, there are plenty of Intel laptops with better battery life than an Apple silicon powered Mac. It seems that in typical Apple fashion, they've decided to use any power saving to skimp on battery size to make their machines sleeker and cheaper to manufacture, rather than give their customers any meaningful benefit. It's the perfect example of what irks me about the way they run their business.
It runs a ton of affordable apps which do not appear on Windows or Mac OS which are straight up fun
Computer software, of any stripe, is not my idea of fun. Fun really requires the absence of screens.
having an iPad highly worthwhile to me and countless other audio or graphics nerds.
You can buy a bigger portable monitor for a lot less than an iPad. Of course, my laptop already has two screens so it would be a bit overkillish for me. If it didn't, I'd probably use the 2-in-1 for everything. I really only have the 2-in-1 for the way it looks on stage, it is totally redundant otherwise.
Why both? Simple, there are countless apps available and optimized for a touch screen interface.
Don't you find that annoying? I know I would. I look at some of those things and I know I'd hate them. I don't have any trouble using Windows applications with touch when I need to. In fact, the touch experience with Win 11 is nothing short of f**king brilliant (or maybe it's something to do with the touch technology Asus are using). And that's the thing, I hate the either/or nature of Apple's stuff. You have one expensive product for this but it's no good for that. For that you'll have to buy a different expensive product that runs a different OS so none of the software you bought for that first device will work on the second, but that's OK because we'll sell you the second load of software for cheap, even after we leverage our monopoly to take a huge cut.

OTOH, with Windows I can choose to interact with things in whichever way I choose. Right now I've got a wired mouse and mechanical keyboard plugged in at my desk but last weekend I was away and I used exactly the same device with touch. I had a Bluetooth mouse with me but I never needed to get it out of it's pouch. I didn't use the keyboard cover thingie, either. I don't use a mouse on stage any more, either, but it's all the same device and it runs all my peripherals, too, because it has enough ports to do so comfortably - Erae Touch in one, Roli stuff in another and my I/O device in the third. SO instead of having to parcel out my meagre earnings on separate devices I can pool it all into one really good one (if I need to). Surely that makes more sense?
The iOS apps are often priced below $10 bucks and many sit at $2.99 or thereabouts. Not all of us are price sensitive to the same degree but I do shop around.
How can you shop around? There is only one place to buy apps and Apple takes a huge cut.
ErrkaPetti wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:25 pmOk, so now we “others” stupid also?
If you put up with Apple's bullshit, then yes, of course you are.
I’ve gotten really Pro apps also, photo editing, designer apps, desktop publishing app, great word processor and spreadsheet app, huge amount of pro music apps, etc etc etc…
So have I and I can run them on any Windows device I choose. 8 or 9 years ago I had an 8" tablet that ran 3DS Max and the DAW I was using at the time (Orion). I'm sure it would have run Studio One, too. Can your iPad run 3DS Max? Or maybe something cross-platform like Maya? Hell, they don't even make Blender for iPad. And how many of these supposedly "pro" apps support industry-standard plugin formats like VST?
If I had to choose between my Mac and iPad I choose the iPad, easy choice…
But that's the thing, isn't it? It's a big decision because everything is different and when you choose one over the other, you lose so much. OTOH, my choices are only about the hardware itself because everything else is the same, whether it's my 8" tablet from 2014 or the brand new Zenbook Duo that should arrive tomorrow. They all run the same software, they all work with a mouse and keyboard or touch, or both at the same time. So you choose to be forced into choosing, where I choose not to have to choose.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bones saying:

Bla bla bla bla bla bla…

Pretty funny this bloke wants to be in the Apple threads, but prefer boring Windows…
So, we don’t care what you thinking, we still will be using Apple products with great joy, every day, every week, every month…
If you wants Win-craps, up to you…

Kongru wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:30 pm Been thinking about the subscription recently and I'm convinced that Apple has priced it that way because they will be bringing touch screen Macbooks in the next few years, it wouldn't make sense to make people pay for a full price version knowing this (although a touchscreen Mac might have access to the iPadOS app store)
I doubt Apple will be making touch screen Macs. They understand that it just doesn't work well.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:47 pm
Kongru wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:30 pm Been thinking about the subscription recently and I'm convinced that Apple has priced it that way because they will be bringing touch screen Macbooks in the next few years, it wouldn't make sense to make people pay for a full price version knowing this (although a touchscreen Mac might have access to the iPadOS app store)
I doubt Apple will be making touch screen Macs. They understand that it just doesn't work well.
....unless they release a 2-in-1 model that uses the ipad gui when in tablet mode and regular OS gui when in laptop mode. But that would be too revolutionary and clever for Apple. :wink:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:43 am
TS-12 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 am It’s more of GarageBand with extra features and plugins, than Logic
No it isn’t
Now that Logic for iPad was released, Hopefully you realized that I was right.
Unfortunately.
I wish I was wrong.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”