Make Noise - New Spectraphon Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stefken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:45 pm No sure if i get it but the fundamental saw and saturated sine are not affected by the fm imo.
I think in your confusion you just made me realize my own confusion :lol:

Not only is the sine out not affected by FM (which is what I wanted) but the FM bus is using that sine rather than the main output. So my harmonic sweep idea for the modulator wouldn't work.

Gah... all day it said it was due to arrive by 7 PM today. Suddenly it says by 7 PM Monday and there's no new update, it's still last shown in Chicago.

On thomann, the module went from eta 1 to 2 weeks to eta 2 to 3 weeks.

at this rate, behringer will announce a clone, before any of us get it :o

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:23 pm at this rate, behringer will announce a clone, before any of us get it :o
I'll probably buy the clone, justsayin. It's not like the panel will be any uglier. I mean, it will have a stupid name, Rainbowcicle, or some shit, but you can probably trade a candy bar for it.

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I’ve got my shipping notice!

Landed early this morning and despite no sleep, I’ve been checking for this all day.

I even considered making a trip out of it and driving to Brooklyn to pick it up, but that no sleep thing worried me.
Not sure what’s worse… driving in NYC vs driving those winding back-roads with drop-offs along Hell’s Backbone. Appropriate name.

can't wait to hear what you and foosnark think!!

i reckon i could fly to brooklyn and buy one and come home, and still not have tracking :lol:

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:35 pm can't wait to hear what you and foosnark think!!

i reckon i could fly to brooklyn and buy one and come home, and still not have tracking :lol:
I think that’s very likely! :hihi:

I’m excited the video on creating arrays will be available on Wednesday.

https://youtu.be/j9iaT6xYdJo

elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:32 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:35 pm can't wait to hear what you and foosnark think!!

I think that’s very likely! :hihi:

I’m excited the video on creating arrays will be available on Wednesday.

https://youtu.be/j9iaT6xYdJo
ooh cool.
although might not make it live again, some maintenance in the area till 6pm possibly, its on at 5 for me

Good news for (unsure if its UK/EU or both - since they have stores for both)

Elevator Sound mentioned this about Spectraphon…
Due to some shipping delays our first batch of Make Noise Spectraphon will now be leaving Asheville this week, keep your eyes peeled for updates if you're on the preorders. If not we've still got a few available off this shipment.

fingers crossed for juno!!! that's where im waiting on :)

I have a Spectraphon and photographic evidence :D
20230612_180339.jpg
At the first glance it's ticking all the boxes...

The sound character kind of surprises me. I'm going to retract what I said about the analysis -- it's got to be FFT or something like it. Focus in SAM mode is very much doing the frequency vs. time resolution tradeoff -- it gets really growly and inaccurate at low focus, and blurry (missing transients and blunting attacks) at high focus, so you can either find the right tradeoff or abuse it for extra sound design points :tu:

FFT or not, Walker wasn't kidding, there's practically no latency. Not at all like Panharmonium in that respect!

The FM is badass but has a different feel from anything else out there IMHO. And it can get VERY intense.

It's going to take me a good while to really learn this thing. Right now I'm not where I can get instant wow from it, but a hell of a lot of surprises and a fair number of them are good :)

Images here are using an extremely pure sine from Shapeshifter as the input, with Partials maxed, Focus at about 3/4 for the clean one and minimum for the dirty one, no other changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After a couple more hours of playing with it, I'm getting the feeling that I'll be using it three main ways:

- SAO mode as a sort of psuedo-wavetable thing. A lot of wavetable content comes from simple additive synthesis already so it makes sense.
- SAM fed with something more or less static as a catalyst -- just one sine allows a huge variety, but a pair of sines with control over tuning, maybe a wavefolder for one and a mixer, even more so. The goal here isn't really to re-synthesize and imitate the input, but as a sort of spectrum control with the added bonus that it can be dirty and weird in ways I never expected. Bitwig Grid patches are good for this.
(As an aside, white noise is kind of funny in a nerdy way because Slide doesn't matter... wherever in the spectrum you look, there's an even distribution of partials. But it's not very exciting. Pink noise isn't much better. But bandpassed noise or a swarm of oscillators to get some motion going, that's more fun...)
- SAM fed with a synth voice (or bass, kalimba, etc.) but tracking pitch, to harmonize with it.

@foosnark
Congrats on getting your module.

Maybe you can try some nature sounds too. I kind of liked when they put bird songs through it.
And the module should feel right at home with an "O superman" cover. :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”