Cakewalk free version being phased out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:36 am Just a random thought.

Free 10 years ago was something awesome. It generated lots of goodwill and eventually sales.
Free today - the majority doesn't care.

If I were to guess, it's a problem that has its roots in free apps and free-to-play games.
It's because prices have come down substantially and cyclical promotions are common and predictable (on a set time table).

Higher quality free synths and plug-ins have definitely made it harder to operate in that market (it's why PA, Waves, Softube, etc. are on sale more often than not), as well.
musicproducerdee wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:17 amYou pretty much summarized how I feel about Reaper as a DAW. Everyone keeps raving about how good it is and how you can customize it any way you want. But man, that's a lot of work, I just wanna make music, I'm not trying to fly a spaceship. And it's not like I'm not good at using applications. I learned Bitwig Studio, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Studio One, Cubase, even Reason to an extent. I have a Windows laptop and still just by looking at Logic Pro screengrabs, I can figure out how to navigate around it and how to get things done. Reaper completely throws me off for this particular reason, no matter how powerful of a DAW it is, where is the user experience?
There are definitely ways to "fast track" customizing REAPER - and have been for years.

I personally don't want to have my workflow dependent on numerous third party components that can break on updates or upgrades, though, so I've generally avoided it. I just don't like how text-heavy the GUI is, and from a design standpoint I find it somewhat abominable... but others like it (and it can look pretty good with theming - at last at surface level).

It's why I tend to prefer DAWs with decent-enough stock UI/UX/Themes that I can just use productively off the bat. There is already enough of that risk with Virtual Instruments and FX Plug-ins :-P

I think REAPER is a bigger deal to people who would otherwise use Pro Tools, though. It is really, really good for Audio Engineers. Honestly, I still use Samplitude Pro X for Audio Editing and whenever I bring stems over from Maschine for Arranging/Mixing for similar reasons. The Audio Editing is GOAT-level and something like Cakewalk couldn't really replace it without significant productivity dippage.

For people who are looking for something like Ableton Live or Reason, REAPER isn't really going get you there. There is only so much you can do with the theming and customization before you start pushing up against the limits of that system. Some things are better off as a design goal within the software's development track.

One big issue with Cakewalk is the fact that it is Windows-only. With Macs actually being affordable, these days, it is becoming a bigger disadvantage. The Windows DAW market is actually more competitive than on macOS - particularly at the enthusiast/prosumer segments.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the interface and workflow. I don't know what they use to develop, but I'd like to see them add Mac and Linux support. Personally, I'd also like it to scale. In for a penny, in for a pound.

My eyes are at the point I just don't like tiny text and icons.

Lack of support from both companies was what got me to try other DAWs.
I think I'd be foolish to give it another go after all the unfulfilled promises of both parties' past has left me as blocked off as it is now. Whatever works is slated for license denial as soon as I update to the next machine.

The facts so far:

1. "Cakewalk by BandLab" daw is getting one final update and after that is running for free on windows. Then it have no more updates or support. Meaning that a Windows update can break it and you can't get any Cakewalk support to fix it.

2. "Sonar" daw is built upon Cakewalk by BandLab but have a fresh UI, vector based, and carry forward as a new product with ongoing improvements, features and support. Note that Cakewalk Sonar will install alongside Cakewalk by BandLab and any legacy editions of SONAR you may have installed in the past. ( probably windows only)

3. "Next" daw is completely new and works on both MAC and Windows. It's a desktop app with integration to BandLab online studio and its several thousend free samples.

4. The price for Sonar and Next is not decided yet.

This is put together from Cakewalk discuss forum.

I hope that the can get it to be less agricultural because it feels like driving an old tractor in a unploughed paddock...

Bring in some smart features like a track being a track and the ability to resize windows etc...

The only reason I moved from Sonar after so many years,was that Gibson took over the company and I knew that with Henry da Vandal at the helm,that the writing was on the wall...

And sure enough...Henry's kiss of death came through...

I only use Cakewalk to open old projects these days because Reaper leaves it for dead in that unploughed paddock 😁
No auto tune...

Well, after being out of this game for such a long time, I think any free software will help me back in! Might have to dl it tonight.

Having had a nosey round their website, it seemed (to me) quite strange that they were giving away a full DAW that had updates. That they are now releasing two new products is probably good. Obviously everyone likes something for free, but recouping costs gives people a wage.

Having said all that, Cakewalk has had quite a history, so I'm hoping that their is some sort of acknowledgement of long-term users.
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

Just to add, and it may be totally irrelevant, but I bought Z3ta+ way back when from rgc:audio (Rene, the orig developer's company).

A couple of years ago, while faffing around with stuff on a very old laptop, I realised that I didn't have the authorisation key. Apparently I had a Cakewalk account, but couldn't get into it, not could I reset the password. Emailed the help desk, and they sent me a reminder of my authorisation key :-).

So a company that I have never dealt with was able to solve a problem that I had created. Whether they are like that in 2023 as they were in 2021 (and with costs involved) would be interesting to see

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:51 pm Just to add, and it may be totally irrelevant, but I bought Z3ta+ way back when from rgc:audio (Rene, the orig developer's company).

A couple of years ago, while faffing around with stuff on a very old laptop, I realised that I didn't have the authorisation key. Apparently I had a Cakewalk account, but couldn't get into it, not could I reset the password. Emailed the help desk, and they sent me a reminder of my authorisation key :-).

So a company that I have never dealt with was able to solve a problem that I had created. Whether they are like that in 2023 as they were in 2021 (and with costs involved) would be interesting to see
Odd. They have never replied to my many support request to access my account. And in trying to create a new separate account with Bandlab and requesting support of that after having installation problems. They also have continually chosen to not respond with anything but a one time programmed response.

BBFG# wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:39 pm
Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:51 pm Just to add, and it may be totally irrelevant, but I bought Z3ta+ way back when from rgc:audio (Rene, the orig developer's company).

Odd. They have never replied to my many support request to access my account. And in trying to create a new separate account with Bandlab and requesting support of that after having installation problems. They also have continually chosen to not respond with anything but a one time programmed response.
Looking back at my emails, it was from the _Cakewalk_ help desk, not Bandlab. Wonder if that made a difference?

Edit: I emailed support @ cakewalk.com

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:41 pm
BBFG# wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:39 pm

Looking back at my emails, it was from the _Cakewalk_ help desk, not Bandlab. Wonder if that made a difference?

Edit: I emailed support @ cakewalk.com
I've emailed both. Repeatedy.

Huh - I was really impressed with their customer service, and now I'm not :-(

Hi everyone, what would you suggest as a free or low priced replacement for Sonar that would support vst3?

[/quote]

[/quote]

A few months before, I emailed cakewalk and in 2 days got my password, download issues settled.
I do not think their support is that bad. Some might be having due to other issues like sharing / distributing or changes in email etc.
Regards.
maanga

surreal wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:33 am Hi everyone, what would you suggest as a free or low priced replacement for Sonar that would support vst3?
Why not just go on using Cakewalk by Bandlab? It's not as if the software will break tomorrow, especially as you're on Windows.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:45 am
surreal wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:33 am Hi everyone, what would you suggest as a free or low priced replacement for Sonar that would support vst3?
Why not just go on using Cakewalk by Bandlab? It's not as if the software will break tomorrow, especially as you're on Windows.
true that. but if i need to reinstall after doing a windows update... thats what i am concerned about... Eventhough cakewalk by badlab was free it still requested me to re authorize the software to keep working every 6 months so in essence it was and still is and extended demo for what is going to end.. Imagine working on bandlab cakewalk all your production hours in the "free" version and 6 months down the line it asks to reauthorize and then you get a friendly pop up saying... thank you for using the free version of cakewalk, please select one of the following options to continue using Cakewalk by bandlab.. or worse still.. this product is no longer supported and cannot be authorised..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”