Linnstrument: a discontinuity in pitch when doing pitch bend with quantize and quantize hold

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find it impossible to play nice pitch bends with quantize and quantize hold turned on. If I start pressing a square and then start moving my finger along the X axis, more often than not I hear a discontinuous pitch change (without an attack) when switching between the first and the second square. If I glide my hand for more distance than the width of one square, usually the switch between further squares doesn't cause problems. It's the first square change that causes a discontinuity. The discontinuity sound bad (at least on the virtual instrument I am using).

I attach an audio file demonstrating the problem. In it, I do the following: for each note in the 4th row, I do a two semitones slide, then I switch to the next note. You can hear that on more than half glides, there is a discontinuity in the pitch. I hoped that I would be able to do continuous pitch bends even with quantize and quantize hold turned on. Is it a problem with my Linnstrument in particular? How do you guys and girls deal with this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19v_9Ef ... drive_link

__phi__ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:18 pm I hoped that I would be able to do continuous pitch bends even with quantize and quantize hold turned on. Is it a problem with my Linnstrument in particular? How do you guys and girls deal with this?
It may be more an issue with the sound you are using than the LinnStrument.

Other than using Surge XT, the official LinnStrument softsynth, I also replaced the silicone playing surface with bamboo fabric in my LinnStrument Darker Mod: there are no physical square grids to interrupt polyphonic slides during my performances; the entire playing surface is seamless.

So, if you completely disable pitch quantize on the linnstrument, do the pitch bends sound smooth as expected?
If yes, then we can take the sound engine out of the equation.
Roger will likely be able to help you finding the best setting for your purpose.
(I have not had quantize on for years, so I am not of much help there.)

Hi Phi,

Unfortunately the audio file isn't so helpful because it doesn't show me how you playing.

This is more of a support issue than a forum discussion, so please send me a short video that clearly demonstrates how you're playing, with sound, that causes the problem. Send it to the normal support address. That will help me better understand the problem.

I have noticed this too and brought up with Roger last year. The pitch will bend at a fixed amount based on the distance travelled within a pad, but if the initial quantized strike is off-center, bends will be either too low or too high at opposite margins of the pad. When the adjacent pad is invoked, pitch corrects itself so that the inaccuracy of the first note doesn't follow your bend into other squares. This behavior is good for predictable vibrato within a square, but less so for bending notes smoothly outside of the square. I'm more interested in the latter, but I understand why the implementation is the way that it is. Most of the time it's imperceptible, especially when you strike close to the center, but occasionally I will turn off initial quantize when smooth bends need to take precedence over accurate landings.

2pulse wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:52 am Most of the time it's imperceptible, especially when you strike close to the center, but occasionally I will turn off initial quantize when smooth bends need to take precedence over accurate landings.
There it is though... If you play with greater accuracy, anticipate this behaviour, and accept its limitations, it all but ceases to be an issue. This is literally true of every instrument.

The only difference is that, when it comes to controllers, we're left with the impression that we can somehow will our way around said limitations, as to avoid the need for developing any real proficiency.

The violin, for example, is difficult to play with good intonation. However, when we resign ourselves to that, and just work harder on our technique, the reward is undeniable.

By comparison, the LinnStrument is not only easier to learn, but boundless in its musical potential.

Cheers!

__phi__ wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:18 pm I find it impossible to play nice pitch bends with quantize and quantize hold turned on. If I start pressing a square and then start moving my finger along the X axis, more often than not I hear a discontinuous pitch change (without an attack) when switching between the first and the second square. If I glide my hand for more distance than the width of one square, usually the switch between further squares doesn't cause problems.
The quantize hold function has to assume that you don't want the note to drift, until such time as you do something deliberate to indicate that you do in fact want to initiate a pitchbend.

So, if you bend, say, a mere quarter tone over the line, and do so too slowly, it's going to fight you. Whereas, if you bend a full tone quickly, for instance, the quantize hold function will readily disengage. Hence why your pitchbend becomes continuous when you bend beyond the second cell. There has to be a trade-off in that kind of real-time decision making.

There are three solutions to this:

1) Turn the quantize hold function off, and learn to play with better intonation, as you would on the above-mentioned violin.

2) If you vibrato the note before you start the bend, the quantize hold function will have already disengaged, and the bend will be allowed to happen unabated.

3) Simply perform bends with more speed and vigor.

Cheers!

Today I learned a bit about LinnStrument! Interesting discussion.

Sort of on topic, I just want to share that I'm often changing up the quantize settings. For most melodic lines I like the middle of the road approach of using the start of note quantize but nothing else. If I want to play something super moody and bendy, like a slow somber flute line, only then to I play completely unquantized.

But when it comes time to play chords, I start engaging the quantize hold to varying degrees to help me. When holding a funky hand shape to hit all the right notes, it's much hard to keep every pad on the right target for X.

So don't be afraid to play with the quantize settings often.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”