Gorgeous high frequencies?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, a YT video was recommended to me (not sure why, I never even heard of the show before the recommendation), but I clicked on it (I am always on the lookout for good television). At the very beginning of the clip, I notice the absolutely gorgeous eqing of the snare drum. And then at the end of the video, it sounded like they had done their own EQ tinkering with the AC/DC tune, which (though already a fan when I was kid) sounded a whole lot better than normal.

Here's the video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QumXVbpw8YU

My question is, what range should I be looking for to replicate that beautiful high-frequency sound? I typically either edge off high frequencies, or just don't add any at all. But that's the stuff I'm lookin' for right there. I've heard these sounds before over the years, but I just don't know how to find them -- that sweet spot of the high end.

Didn’t check the video, but you could try finding the frequency with a wide band eq boost, then use a high cut or high shelf and bring down the higher frequencies, then adjust the Q on the boost to suit, if required.

I find using Spectre helps alot in moulding a specific timbre. It's saturation but you're able to put it on specific frequencies. So I would play with that, even if you just get the demo for the sake of trying to achieve the sound you want. Just sweep through the upper frq range with it till you find it works for you.

Digitt wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:19 am I find using Spectre helps alot in moulding a specific timbre. It's saturation but you're able to put it on specific frequencies. So I would play with that, even if you just get the demo for the sake of trying to achieve the sound you want. Just sweep through the upper frq range with it till you find it works for you.
Huh, all right. I'll check that out. Thanks

Digitt wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:19 am I find using Spectre helps alot in moulding a specific timbre. It's saturation but you're able to put it on specific frequencies. So I would play with that, even if you just get the demo for the sake of trying to achieve the sound you want. Just sweep through the upper frq range with it till you find it works for you.
I did download the demo, but haven't yet tried it yet -- afraid to start the clock on it just yet. But I did find something I believe is similar, Ferric, which I kinda like. I also tried Voxengo's Shinechilla, which though has some very noticeable, right-off-the-bat promise, murdered my CPU. I'm using an older PC, and she just couldn't handle it. Ferric, however, doesn't demand much in that regard, and is pretty easy to use, though I would like to learn more about fine-tuning with it.

Spectre looks fantastic, and I'm starting a new recording today, so I might mess with it a little later on in the week.

irpacynot wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:16 am
I did download the demo, but haven't yet tried it yet -- afraid to start the clock on it just yet. But I did find something I believe is similar, Ferric, which I kinda like. I also tried Voxengo's Shinechilla, which though has some very noticeable, right-off-the-bat promise, murdered my CPU. I'm using an older PC, and she just couldn't handle it. Ferric, however, doesn't demand much in that regard, and is pretty easy to use, though I would like to learn more about fine-tuning with it.

Spectre looks fantastic, and I'm starting a new recording today, so I might mess with it a little later on in the week.
is Ferric this? https://plugins4free.com/plugin/660/ If so, it looks nothing like spectre.

Spectre def doesnt use up much cpu. Even on my old pc i used to have which was 10 years old, i could use spectre well. spectre is fantastic in its sound quality too, one of my essential plugins :) enjoy trying it out :)

Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:46 pm
is Ferric this? https://plugins4free.com/plugin/660/ If so, it looks nothing like spectre.

Spectre def doesnt use up much cpu. Even on my old pc i used to have which was 10 years old, i could use spectre well. spectre is fantastic in its sound quality too, one of my essential plugins :) enjoy trying it out :)
Yeah, that's it. And honestly, after more time with it, I'm not sure it's at all what I'm looking for in that regard. Spectre, however, looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I think I will try to break into it today. I'll keep you posted.

Return to “Sound Design”