LED lightening issue

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I have noticed that certain colors appear different from column to column on my Linnstrument (200). It took some investigation but in the end I found out that it depends on how many LEDs are lit on one column if the color is affected or not. White becomes something like cream or beige, light blue becomes turquoise, pink something like apricot and so on.

It becomes clearly visible if 5 or more LEDs are active in one column (so only vertically). The issue occurs independently from the power settings. It is almost invisible on darker colors like the green in the default setting.

Furthermore did I notice an annoying flickering on certain colors like light yellow if used in low power mode.

Is all that normal? I mean shouldn't the Linnstrument always be a feast to the eyes too?

Btw I got the Linnstrument new and unused one week ago.

Greetings from Berlin/Germany

As expected, perfectly normal. I think I remember Roger talking about this before.
Try searching the forum or perhaps the official FAQ on the Linnstrument web site.

Hi Vranq,

I'm sorry to say that the slight hue shift is normal when using a color that mixes 2 or more colors as do the colors you mentioned. You won't see such an artifact for red, green or blue, which are single colors.

The reason is that I designed LinnStrument's 208 RGB LEDs (effectively 624 discrete LEDs) to to be powered from USB, which isn't easy to do. The way it works is that I use high-brightness/efficiency LEDs but only one column is turned on at a time, with the columns sequentially scanned at high speed. The advantage is the ability to power from USB or even from an iPhone in Low Power mode, but this does result it the slight hue shift with mixed colors that you're seeing. I felt it was an acceptable compromise.

Thanks. Yes, acceptable compromise. I was just concerned if everything is ok with the Linnstrument because I didn't find an answer by searching the forum.

Vranq wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:48 am Greetings from Berlin/Germany
Herzlich willkommen to the family of LinnStrumentalists.
We could start now an orchestra of expressive harmonists in Berlin… :hihi:

I’m sorry about that. The LED circuit is optimized for very low power in order to be powered by USB or even an iPhone. However, this does result in the artifacts you’re seeing. It’s difficult to power 208 RGB LEDs (effectively 624 discrete LEDs) from such low power sources but I thought this circuit was worth not having to always connect a separate power adapter.

Looks like the post you were replying to had their account (JaydanCalhoun) deleted.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”