Loom 3

Official support for: www.airmusictech.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edited out: See subsequent posts.
Last edited by Borbolactic on Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borbolactic wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:19 pm It may have been a simple issue of a reboot and/or problem with ILOK, but unsure ATM. I'll look more into it once I find the time. This is the first and last time I use ILOK, incidentally. It was already installed for NFA's Generate and I seem to recall Loom 2 asking for it as well.

If a company can't monetize their products without beating people over the head, they should choose another avenue and/or maybe FLOSS their products if they insist on making them.

About ILOK and/or whatnot; remember this if nothing else: Technology is supposed to work for people, rather than the other way around. Society doesn't owe you a living, via your product.
I'm not anti iLok, but by far my favorite method is simple serial numbers for sure. iLok is the easiest activation with a new computer with no comparison though.

Mostly I would be surprised if the drop down menus work for you, the only way it works here is in Bitwig, because it sandboxes the VSTi version into it's own native process and doesn't translate it to native like the AU version in other dAWs does. so it doesn't suffer that way.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:16 am
Borbolactic wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:19 pm It may have been a simple issue of a reboot and/or problem with ILOK, but unsure ATM. I'll look more into it once I find the time. This is the first and last time I use ILOK, incidentally. It was already installed for NFA's Generate and I seem to recall Loom 2 asking for it as well.

If a company can't monetize their products without beating people over the head, they should choose another avenue and/or maybe FLOSS their products if they insist on making them.

About ILOK and/or whatnot; remember this if nothing else: Technology is supposed to work for people, rather than the other way around. Society doesn't owe you a living, via your product.
I'm not anti iLok, but by far my favorite method is simple serial numbers for sure. iLok is the easiest activation with a new computer with no comparison though.

Mostly I would be surprised if the drop down menus work for you, the only way it works here is in Bitwig, because it sandboxes the VSTi version into it's own native process and doesn't translate it to native like the AU version in other dAWs does. so it doesn't suffer that way.
That's a good point. I will take a look and see if the drop-down menus work for me or not and let you know here.

EDIT: Ok, I have it open right now... When I'm in 'Edit Mode' and with 'Default' preset setting and click on the first module on the left (on the Odd/Even words at its top), I do get a drop down that includes options like 'Basic Modules', 'Filtering Modules' and 'Effect Modules', among others. When I hover over them, I get other popups for their sub-options.

Is that what you're talking about with regard to drop down menus? If so, they work for me. At least those ones in particular. If there are others that don't work, I'll let you know.

EDIT 2: In Edit Mode (still Default preset), under Partials, I get a dropdown of partial counts but selecting another number doesn't work.
Unsure if it's because I have to do something first, but it is a concern. I have a Windows box with Loom 2 on it as well that I'll look into in an hour or so.

Borbolactic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:16 am EDIT 2: In Edit Mode (still Default preset), under Partials, I get a dropdown of partial counts but selecting another number doesn't work.
Unsure if it's because I have to do something first, but it is a concern. I have a Windows box with Loom 2 on it as well that I'll look into in an hour or so.
Yep, that's the bug in the AU Rosetta version in a native DAW, the drop down menus say to choose partials etc. does not change to the selected partial, it stays the same. I'm sure the Windows box works just fine, this is the issue with Loom II in AU on Apple Silicon.

AIRy-Fairy?
machinesworking wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:04 am
Borbolactic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:16 am EDIT 2: In Edit Mode (still Default preset), under Partials, I get a dropdown of partial counts but selecting another number doesn't work.
Yep, that's the bug in the AU Rosetta version in a native DAW, the drop down menus say to choose partials etc. does not change to the selected partial, it stays the same. I'm sure the Windows box works just fine, this is the issue with Loom II in AU on Apple Silicon.
Looks like you're correct. On my Windows box, the selected/clicked-on dropdown options are properly registered.

Incidentally, for you or others with a Windows box where Loom 2 can crash; it seems that Loom 2 doesn't like high-resolution displays, or ones set at above 100%, which is what seems to crash Loom 2, along with my DAW (once I double click Loom 2 to open its GUI).

Its GUI is also a bit too small at native resolution anyway...

So what I do that seems to work, at least so far, is reset my display (right-click mouse anywhere on the Desktop to bring up the Display Options):

I set the Scale to 100% (down from default of 150%) and set the Resolution to 1440 x 900.

Everything is bigger in my DAW, including Loom 2, which is nice and big. So far so good, but I haven't really tested anything yet. I would probably reset everything back down and only do this for Loom 2 and whatever others are too small, like maybe Vacuum Pro now that I think about it.

If this helps, my Windows box is a Yoga 7i 14" 2-in-1. Its native resolution is 2240 x 1400 @150% scale by default. So the resolution is lowered/divided by 1.6x.

Hey AIR, if you're reading this, there you go. Also, it might do you well if you consolidated your selections and added more focus. That might help you and your customers; less bugs/versions/features/etc. to worry about, faster turnarounds in managing them and in general, and tighter, more focused concepts and a less sloppy/floppy public image to boot.

Two Looms and 3 Vacuum Tubes seem kind of odd, no?

You also seem to have too many products that you can manage effectively. And because you seem to have killer sales, perhaps that creates too many customers looking for help that you cannot provide for effectively. It's a global market after all. (Unsure what kind of business model you're going for.)

IOW perhaps, you seem to be setting yourselves up a little and spreading yourselves too thinly, what do you think? You seem to do good software, but again, maybe it needs a little more consolidation/concentration and focus.

Feel free to give me a shout if you might be looking for a Strategic Product Development Manager and/or somesuch.

----
airy-fairy
âr′ē-fâr′ē
adjective
Insubstantial or impractical.

Return to “AIR Music Technology”