How do I get my flex-a-tone to make the 'doing' sound??

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought two different flex-a-tones off ebay: a small, brass one, and a larger one off Amazon. I don't want that wacky, wobbly sound, though. I just want a 'doing' sound, like so.

On one of them, I removed the bottom beater and on the other one, I removed the top beater. I've tried putting a rubber band around the flex part, so my thumb doesn't mute the metal. I've tried striking it with a separate mallet, because when I hit it hard with the attached beater, it ricochets back and hits the metal multiple times.

So how do I get the sound I want out of this instrument? Do I need to get the deluxe LP version and remove the beaters? What's the trick?

You could try some physical modelling synthesizer.
Here is an example using Ableton Collision:
https://voca.ro/1dkkcXn5ymTr

What if you removed both beaters and used one to strike the metal plate just once? Also instead of bending the plate with your thumb, try just recording a long sustained strike then load into a sampler and use the pitch bend. You might even be able to get away with making a single-cycle loop in the sampler to increase the sustain.

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at different videos and I've come to the conclusion that you need to have an LP Flex-a-tone if you want this sound. Accept no substitutions. I really didn't want to spend 54 bucks for the LP deluxe flex-a-tone, but instead I spent 26 bucks on a cheap one that just doesn't produce enough tone to make the sound I want.

Definitely remove the beaters, I have the smaller LP one and just broke them off.

Return to “Sound Design”