Channel Pressure Behavior: Fixed in Custom Firmware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teknico, I've looked at the MIDI data and did some detailed listening. I now _see_ what I'm hearing.

In the case that: pressure is mapped to cutoff, one note is held lightly, a subsequent note is played quickly/firmly there is still a "jump" in pressure data from the low pressure value to the high value. Depending on the synth, this causes occasionally audible artifacts.

I now consider this an unavoidable consequence of that playing style and the physics of touch pads vs keys. I doubt many (any) synthesizer designers planned on receiving instant pressure data changes of that magnitude (i.e. 3 to 127). You have already convinced me that my initial idea of adding more slew to pressure could introduce more problems, and again, the changes you made to the firmware and their results are much preferred and make playing non MPE synths a joy on the Linnstrument. Thank you!

The binary release is now downloadable from Github:

t01.001

Again, this is unofficial firmware, use at your own risk.

Then again, everyone is welcome to try it, and I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
--
Nicola 'teknico' Larosa

Good work, teknico. I tried it out and you did a good job. I can now better see how it is useful for your and ryanpg's use case. I'll add it to our feature list, though it probably won't be added soon because of more pressing priorities for Geert's available time. But at least people who have a similar need now have an option, due to your generosity. Thank you.

Just came across this thread and I am completely flashed… I should start getting into it as well and add an extra controller for sending information about the row played in MPE mode…

Looking at this fork, it never was pulled into the main branch correct?

Correct: a pull request was never created to begin with.

https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linn ... e/pulls?q=

No worries, I'm going to give this a go tonight as it sounds like a great improvement for many of my use cases. I just want to say that if it works as expected, it's well worth bringing over to head from my view.

Thanks!

jeffmhopkins wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:32 pm Looking at this fork, it never was pulled into the main branch correct?
I'm sorry to report that this code change has not yet been reviewed by Geert or a UI option added to enable it, so the feature is not yet in a software release, nor do I yet have an estimate of when it will be in a software release. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

I was able to flash over the experimental image, and had no issues, so that's a win in my book. No worries on getting it merged... Maybe if I feel froggy in the future I can can look at implementing a UI modifications etc... but of course like most of us, time availability is the biggest hinderence to this type of thing. Demanding day job and kiddos keep me busy :)

Teknico, if you're like to do a pull request, then Geert will be able to review your changes when he has free time.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:48 pm Teknico, if you're like to do a pull request, then Geert will be able to review your changes when he has free time.
I'm afraid I'm not going to make a pull request: my changes are not amenable to be integrated as is, Geert will want to apply his own changes, if any.

Furthermore, my changes do not include any UI or settings, nor any way to be disabled.

Finally, I would not be able to follow up on any comment on a pull request, because I don't own nor use a Linnstrument anymore.

My changes will remain available, should Geert be interested in them:

https://github.com/rogerlinndesign/linn ... and-y-axes

Thanks again to you, Roger, and Geert for all your work.
--
Nicola 'teknico' Larosa

That's OK, teknico. The needed change is pretty clear and it's on our internal list of features to implement when Geert has available time.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”