Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 or OTHER?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:35 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm Oh, I thought buying a Macintosh meant you were OK with with things becoming incompatible. :hihi:
LOL! Nailed it.
If all things were equal, I'd more than prefer using an Apple computer. I've got their phone, watch, HomePod, two HomePod Minis, an old Mac Mini, iMac, Macbook Air... some white plastic laptop... that doesn't even count what my wife and daughter have. I used to be the biggest Apple evangelist you'd every meet. I had a Newton! :lol:

But then came the dark times. I had some really fast G5, I called it the hair dryer. It was so loud. I held on to it for a really long time, as it didn't seem like some companies were ever going to get to updating for Intel Macs. Finally, I gave up and got a PC, and that was that. I haven't really had a compatibility problem since. I'd love to go back to them, but every time I read a post like yours, I can't help but think I made the right move.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm picturing all you Apple naysayers as 'Windows Guy' from the old commercials. :P

Here 'tis.
First impressions. I like the keyboard better than my Novation Sl61 mKII, and I also like that it isn't cluttered with knobs and faders, as I never bothered to try to pair it to Logic after Automap headaches.
There are software issues. The Komplete Kontrol plugin opens up into a black screen in Logic, and it isn't reading 3rd party instruments like Hive and Synthmaster, even though they show up as available for mapping.

Otherwise, I like it. Any software issues will, I hope, be ironed out soon.
It is a cool setup in theory. Now I'll see. If it lasts me 4-5 years, I'll be happy.

EDIT: fixed the issue with Hive 2, Synthmaster One, and Synthmaster.
I do like this, I have to admit.
Even if it becomes only a midi controller, with this keybed, there are very few options, and this came in the least expensive. I've seen a few in ebay classifieds, and they're being sold for more than I paid new.
But the integration…I can see people getting quite pissed off if that becomes incompatible with OSes. It's nice not to stare at my monitor, testing patches with my left hand, and scrolling through patches with my right. This is far better.
And, so far, I've barely had to read any effing manuals. That comes now.
IMG_1509.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Looks great! It's a beautiful keyboard and has many superb qualities. Since you don't plan to ever upgrade your OS, you can ignore all my suggestions about not getting it.

btw, as bitter as I am about Kore and Maschine MKI, that didn't stop me from getting Maschine MK2 and an M32, both of which are working great.

tq wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:55 am Hey, I am not opposing NI - I was actually owning nearly all of their stuff at one point, and went through pretty much all of their ups and downs since the Generator days. And as mentioned above, I still do have a MK3 and Maschine, and I am a Komplete user. So I am certainly not negatively biased against them.

Still, the main selling point of their keyboards is the software integration. Using them as generic MIDI controllers - while kind of functional - is not what they are designed for. They are not like "any other brand", as many other controllers do not rely on a software for the major part of their functionality.... Btw, Novation's Automap is exactly the same example, just worse - I do have an old Nocturn, and it's a wonderful doorstop.
You can still use it though? As far as I know, Automap still works. But, I guess you're limited to runnng the VST2 versions of your plugins in it.

Well, that's my point. Many keyboard manufacturers have such wrappers.

Still waiting for a nice MIDI 2.0 keyboard which offers all the stuff you can do by default with MIDI 2.0.

Is the Korg not good?

Uncle E wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:02 pm Looks great!
Indeed. The thing is quite the looker.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:11 pm Is the Korg not good?
I have no idea. I'll have a look.

You mean the Keystage, right? Nice, but, a bit out of my price range, AND, I wouldn't need MPE and polyphonic Aftertouch either. But, I think that should be the direction such keyboards should go.

Having NI Komplete Kontrol MK1 I can say that they abandon their products to early and the fact that they do not support it anymore makes me think the same happens with MK2 and MK3. That is aroun 8 years and you are done and forced to get a latst model again. This really sucks. On top of that the new updated software still sucks. Minor changes are not worth the money (especially Komplete Kontrol program). That is why I am considering SL Mk3 or Arturia Keylab. Newest Komplete-MK dos not even have pads, 8 knobs only, and the price is way to high for what it does.

I'm doing my Rick Wright imitation on the Farfisa, lol. :harp:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:15 pm I'm picturing all you Apple naysayers as 'Windows Guy' from the old commercials. :P
John Hodgman went on to have a good career in comedy and acting. What happened to Apple Guy? :lol:
Here 'tis.
First impressions. I like the keyboard better than my Novation Sl61 mKII, and I also like that it isn't cluttered with knobs and faders, as I never bothered to try to pair it to Logic after Automap headaches.
There are software issues. The Komplete Kontrol plugin opens up into a black screen in Logic, and it isn't reading 3rd party instruments like Hive and Synthmaster, even though they show up as available for mapping.

Otherwise, I like it. Any software issues will, I hope, be ironed out soon.
It is a cool setup in theory. Now I'll see. If it lasts me 4-5 years, I'll be happy.

EDIT: fixed the issue with Hive 2, Synthmaster One, and Synthmaster.
I do like this, I have to admit.
Even if it becomes only a midi controller, with this keybed, there are very few options, and this came in the least expensive. I've seen a few in ebay classifieds, and they're being sold for more than I paid new.
But the integration…I can see people getting quite pissed off if that becomes incompatible with OSes. It's nice not to stare at my monitor, testing patches with my left hand, and scrolling through patches with my right. This is far better.
And, so far, I've barely had to read any effing manuals. That comes now.
IMG_1509.jpeg
I’m having a similar experience, and speaking of PC guy, the PC firmware updater is super broken and I had to use my wife’s Mac to get the latest firmware. :lol: I’m also having problems with the Kontrol plugin crashing in Bitwig, even with Native Instruments sounds.

But the feel… is awesome. I was worried the key action wouldn’t be as good as my trusty old General Music S2, but I think I like it more. If anyone wants a General Music S2, PM me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

That is ironic if not hilarious! :lol:
Last I saw of Justin Long was in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Not the Bitwit crashing, of course. Logic is perfectly stable, so far.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”