Do You Recognise The Sound Of The DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

koalaboy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am You have to plug them in upside down in Australia. It's a phase issue.
You might have a point there. Is that why my music plays backwards too?

The more pro the panning laws the more analog the sound. Not necessarily how pro the DAW is though, just it's panning laws. I know this as I read it on Gear Slutz
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:58 pm
koalaboy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am You have to plug them in upside down in Australia. It's a phase issue.
You might have a point there. Is that why my music plays backwards too?
no, thats because you are the hellspawn of beelzebub.

I nominate this thread for 'DAFTEST THREAD OF THE YEAR!' (so far).
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jens wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:07 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 am KVR experts need to be more specific about the 'DAW Sounds' they recognise. 'Mushy' is a good start for sure, but what about its opposite, crispy?
If you want cripsy, then you need to put the DAW's installation-file on a USB-drive that you expose to the sun for a good while - this works best in the summer (or otherwise you can also put it on a sunny window-sill for a couple of days). Then after doing that install the DAW and you'll be surprised how crispy your mixes will end up sounding.
Hey, that's also my method for warming up my soft synths!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:27 am Do you ever feel that you know what DAW was used in the production of a piece of music? I remember there was always an ongoing debate about the "Reason sound", as if you knew straight away that it was made with it. I don't necessarily mean from sounds or instruments but from the signature sound in which things are processed. Something distinctive about it.
Yeah but the "Reason sound" thing came from the time when it was a closed system, so it was sometimes easy to pick. Which, of course, makes your question absolutely f**king ridiculous, as usual.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

cryophonik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:17 pm
jens wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:07 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 am KVR experts need to be more specific about the 'DAW Sounds' they recognise. 'Mushy' is a good start for sure, but what about its opposite, crispy?
If you want cripsy, then you need to put the DAW's installation-file on a USB-drive that you expose to the sun for a good while - this works best in the summer (or otherwise you can also put it on a sunny window-sill for a couple of days). Then after doing that install the DAW and you'll be surprised how crispy your mixes will end up sounding.
Hey, that's also my method for warming up my soft synths!
But... don't they get even softer then?

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:27 am Do you ever feel that you know what DAW was used in the production of a piece of music? I remember there was always an ongoing debate about the "Reason sound", as if you knew straight away that it was made with it. I don't necessarily mean from sounds or instruments but from the signature sound in which things are processed. Something distinctive about it.
Yeah but the "Reason sound" thing came from the time when it was a closed system, so it was sometimes easy to pick. Which, of course, makes your question absolutely f**king ridiculous, as usual.
No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

He didn't write "stupid" he wrote "absolutely f**king ridiculous" which, apart from being spot on, is quite different.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am No such thing as a stupid question…
I use to believe this, but tbh KVR and GS have kinda changed my mind.

Also, I’m sure it’s not what was meant but I can definitely hear the difference between Logic Pro’s and Studio One’s various audio time stretching algorithms (not saying which one, if any, is “better” as to not start a war).

As for the “Reason sound” thing (20+ years on it’s a legend at this point really), BONES hit it on the head I think. Reason was a closed system, with all the built-in synths designed by the same group of people.

Thats the basis for my theory as to why people initially started to say Reason has a “sound” (usually said in the negative sense) when compared to other synths coming out in the early 00s. I say synths instead of DAWs because back then and even now Reason is unique among the DAWs and is almost viewed as both, and I recall it was the built-in synths everyone was talking about in regards to the “Reason sound”.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:27 amI remember there was always an ongoing debate about the "Reason sound", as if you knew straight away that it was made with it.
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm the "Reason sound" thing came from the time when it was a closed system, so it was sometimes easy to pick.
i need Help wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:12 amReason was a closed system, with all the built-in synths designed by the same group of people.
Thats the basis for my theory as to why people initially started to say Reason has a “sound”
Exactly.

These posts prove that a 'closed system' has a sound that people recognise in comparison with an 'open system' which has a different sound. This thread asks the Reasonable question, Can people recognise the sound of different open systems in comparison with each other?

Everyone knows that hardware mixing desks have a sound, because some desks became quite famous for their sound.

A DAW is just a model of a mixing desk, so it is quite logical that a DAW would also have a sound.
Some people cannot hear or discriminate the sound of DAWS, probably due to age and/or exposure to loud music.

However, other posts in this thread prove that some people do have the ear sensitivity and the ear training that enables them to discriminate those subtle qualities.

Q.E.D.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.
I get the idea behind that, but it's just plain wrong. For example, asking "will my dinner taste better if I stick my finger in the plug socket while I'm eating it" is just a stupid question. "Should I wear my birthday suit or the posh suit to my wedding?" also would be a stupid question asked by an imbecile. Of course, the sensible answers to those questions should be "yes" and "birthday suit" just to make sure those people receive their respective Darwin awards properly.

Michael L wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:37 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:27 amI remember there was always an ongoing debate about the "Reason sound", as if you knew straight away that it was made with it.
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm the "Reason sound" thing came from the time when it was a closed system, so it was sometimes easy to pick.
i need Help wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:12 amReason was a closed system, with all the built-in synths designed by the same group of people.
Thats the basis for my theory as to why people initially started to say Reason has a “sound”
Exactly.

These posts prove that a 'closed system' has a sound that people recognise in comparison with an 'open system' which has a different sound. This thread asks the Reasonable question, Can people recognise the sound of different open systems in comparison with each other?

Everyone knows that hardware mixing desks have a sound, because some desks became quite famous for their sound.

A DAW is just a model of a mixing desk, so it is quite logical that a DAW would also have a sound.
Some people cannot hear or discriminate the sound of DAWS, probably due to age and/or exposure to loud music.

However, other posts in this thread prove that some people do have the ear sensitivity and the ear training that enables them to discriminate those subtle qualities.

Q.E.D.
I don't think that these posts prove anything. Clearly the point on reason was valid in the past theoretically but it doesn't prove that it is valid in practice.

And we need to decide what would validate it.
If I open redrum and subtractor and play default patch you will surely recognise. But does it validate the claim?
What if I do a complete song with my own sounds, my own presets? Well you be able to recognise?
People can claim what they want, as long as there is no blind test, I don't believe it.

And for open system, I agree with everybody else... That's BS....

kritikon wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:46 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.
I get the idea behind that, but it's just plain wrong. For example, asking "will my dinner taste better if I stick my finger in the plug socket while I'm eating it" is just a stupid question.
OT, but I'll respond anyway.

It's not actually because the brain responds to electrical stimulation. It's like asking whether you like the taste or sensation of the electric current when you put a 9 Volt Duracell battery on your tongue (as a kid I kinda liked it, I don't know why). Personally, I have been electrocuted by an electric toaster in the past 5-7 years, which threw me halfway across the kitchen floor, the full 240 Volts hit me so I'm quite lucky to be alive I think. Now I wasn't eating anything at the time, but I did have a feeling of being sick and having a dry mouth, which was probably caused by the shock itself. So taste would have changed.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Jac459 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:00 am I don't think that these posts prove anything. Clearly the point on reason was valid in the past theoretically but it doesn't prove that it is valid in practice. And anyway, it surely isn't valid anymore since a long time as reason is now an open system.

And we need to decide what would validate the point anyway.
If I open redrum and subtractor and play default patch you will surely recognise. But does it validate the claim?
What if I do a complete song with my own sounds, my own presets? Well you be able to recognise?
People can claim what they want, as long as there is no blind test, I don't believe it.

And for open system, I agree with everybody else... That's BS....
Your argument is irrational
:nutter:

You say that proof needs validation and a blind test.
Then you say 'That's BS' without validation or a blind test.
That is a 'double standard'
:shrug:

BS needs to be validated with a blind test, too!
What is your blind test to prove that BS is bonafide, and not fake?
How do you know BS is valid in theory but not valid in practice?
Last edited by Michael L on Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”