A producer told me something today that I need to run by you guys...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a meeting today with a guy who's produced a lot of records in Nashville. He said something to the effect that if I create my own backing track using, say, royalty free samples and midi drum loops I bought from Groove Monkee or someplace like that, that record labels, streaming services or radio programmers would not touch it because it wouldn't "scan"; meaning there weren't people who you identify who played those parts, for royalty purposes. But this dosen't make sense with all the people nowadays getting famous off songs they recorded in GarageBand, and surely they didn't use real backing musicians. Sounds to me like a not-very-well-informed opinion. Am I right about this?
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

The odds of you making money from your music are so astronomically low that I wouldn't worry. On the other hand, to me that seems like painting by number, and not that rewarding.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

This is 100% BS !

That sounds really odd, if not completely bogus to me as well. The biggest (though remote) potential down side in using "royalty free samples" to me, would be that if they are (particularly) 'melodic', they may have already been used, and you might get an infringement "claim" by that user, or a hit by some streaming algorithm. Youtube has had some issues with this. (IIRC) Still, dismissing an entire (and currently predominant) production methodology seems way off base. I'd do some research into some independent Nashville artists production techniques. I suspect more than a few do what you are intending to do. {2c}
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Was he just saying it's better to have name artists on your tracks rather than just being some lone rando programming everything using prefab loops? I can see that for obvious reasons.

mjudge55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:41 am Was he just saying it's better to have name artists on your tracks rather than just being some lone rando programming everything using prefab loops? I can see that for obvious reasons.
I guess. But I like being a lone rando. Besides, I can't afford all those name sidemen, I've been resigned to doing it all myself.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 pm I had a meeting today with a guy who's produced a lot of records in Nashville. He said something to the effect that if I create my own backing track using, say, royalty free samples and midi drum loops I bought from Groove Monkee or someplace like that, that record labels, streaming services or radio programmers would not touch it because it wouldn't "scan"; meaning there weren't people who you identify who played those parts, for royalty purposes. But this dosen't make sense with all the people nowadays getting famous off songs they recorded in GarageBand, and surely they didn't use real backing musicians. Sounds to me like a not-very-well-informed opinion. Am I right about this?
99% of what you hear from producers is bullshit- not me though, I come here to be honest and get flamed for it. :cry:

Moe Shinola wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:16 am
mjudge55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:41 am Was he just saying it's better to have name artists on your tracks rather than just being some lone rando programming everything using prefab loops? I can see that for obvious reasons.
I guess. But I like being a lone rando. Besides, I can't afford all those name sidemen, I've been resigned to doing it all myself.
Yeah I mean most people don’t buy sidemen. It’s more like through years of building community these musicians become your friends and you make music with them and a scene sort of builds and the label is like ‘yeah I think there’s an audience for this’.

Moe Shinola wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 pm But this dosen't make sense with all the people nowadays getting famous off songs they recorded in GarageBand, and surely they didn't use real backing musicians. Sounds to me like a not-very-well-informed opinion. Am I right about this?
Yes

I have been asked this question by record labels.
Apparently, they do take this into consideration.
I thought it was an odd question as so much music made today uses loops and samples.
I wasn't too concerned, but there are some loops and samples that a lot of people have used.
Perhaps those overused loops and samples are more of an issue, then using loops and samples for music making.

mjudge55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:56 am
Yeah I mean most people don’t buy sidemen. It’s more like through years of building community these musicians become your friends and you make music with them and a scene sort of builds and the label is like ‘yeah I think there’s an audience for this’.
Yeah, but you can easily buy a multisampled drum kit and make your own beats from scratch in your DAW. That costs very little, and in the end you will have something unique that you actually made .
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:39 am
mjudge55 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:56 am
Yeah, but you can easily buy a multisampled drum kit and make your own beats from scratch in your DAW. That costs very little, and in the end you will have something unique that you actually made .
Right well a lot of these incompetent Nashville producers just assume some guy who can actually play drums live on a drum kit and has fans who will instantly buy anything he's associated with is a hotter commodity than me and Kontakt in a basement in Spanaway, WA and I just think that's very stupid and/or unfair. The real victims are the producers' kids though, they probably have no money for food, their dads being all incompetent like that.

Probably because the Groove Monkee User Agreement is so clear:

The purchaser of this product/license may use the contents in their own commercial and noncommercial compositions/releases with no additional costs to us. Be sure to clear any other potential copyright claims.
The copyright of Groove Monkee' products and all included MIDI files, audio files and/or audio demos, is retained by Groove Monkee, and is licensed to the purchaser (via paid download) for use in commercial and non-commercial music releases. Only purchasers of this product/license from Groovemonkee.com, or authorized distributors, have the legal right to use the contents in their own "original" musical releases and/or in advertisements, soundtracks, and television or film music productions. All rights not expressly granted to the user are reserved.
The contents of this product may not be used (wholly or partly) in the creation of any competitive product; including but not necessarily limited to; Sample Packs, Sample CDs, Sample DVDs, Virtual Instruments, Expansion Packs, Production Music, Library Music, Subscription Services, App Contents (Mobile or otherwise), or in any other collection or service, in any format, or in any product that would involve the re-licensing of Groove Monkee’ product copyrights, without our permission.
The contents of this product are not to be used "isolated" in your musical works. They must be used within the context of a musical piece mixed with additional parts. Any audio demos are provided as “demos” and they are not licensed to you, and they may not be re-created or used in their current state. You may not re-sell this collection or transfer it to a third-party, as a purchased license is a single-user license and non-transferable.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”