Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

Post

nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:35 am Yes, the map. It was first and then XO. If you don’t use the maps I don’t understand why you’d use the software.
How are you using maps exactly, if I may ask? Do you mean separate maps, so you can quickly generate kits for a hip hop track, for a house track or whatever? Or are you using maps to actually find, select and load samples?

Maybe I’ve missed something, but I’ve never found the latter particularly effective. Separate maps are far more useful to me, but not essential, I think — I simply don’t have that many samples (I don’t like) on my drive. This means I can quickly generate a great kit in Live 12 without having to open a third party plugin first, and everything is integrated and ready to go.

Thats hard to beat, imho, and so far my needs are all met by Live 12. But then again, I don’t have hundreds of gigabytes worth of snares on my drive, so I’ll probably survive without custom maps. But I’m still testing, so who knows.
Yes I make separate maps and an overall one. Atlas was originally meant to be a sample browser - the sequencer was more the add on.

I make maps for vintage drums or synthwave drums or live drums or 808 drums or any map I might find useful as a means to help browse for drum samples. I have my samples organized in folders on the drive so it depends on how those are organized and added to the map.

Browsing is different than randomly selecting. Both have their place. But if you never browse then you probably don’t need Atlas or XO.

Post

Just downloaded the demo. I have lots of WAV drum and melodic Loops, and was wondering how are they utilized inside Atlas2.
Can they be automatically chopped and categorized in some way? Do you have some recommendations on how to approach it?

Post

davidka wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:47 am Just downloaded the demo. I have lots of WAV drum and melodic Loops, and was wondering how are they utilized inside Atlas2.
Can they be automatically chopped and categorized in some way? Do you have some recommendations on how to approach it?
No Atlas doesn't chop loops. Tal Drum chops loops.

Post

Any of you all lose access to your license? I logged into the Algonaut site and I have no 2.0 license under my account anymore. Basically when I updated to the newest version, this happened. Reached out to Algonaut to see what the deal is.

Post

stash98 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 am Any of you all lose access to your license? I logged into the Algonaut site and I have no 2.0 license under my account anymore. Basically when I updated to the newest version, this happened. Reached out to Algonaut to see what the deal is.
i haven't

Post

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:31 am
stash98 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 am Any of you all lose access to your license? I logged into the Algonaut site and I have no 2.0 license under my account anymore. Basically when I updated to the newest version, this happened. Reached out to Algonaut to see what the deal is.
i haven't
Yeah I went searching to see if I sold the plugin to someone but don’t see that I did so far. I did sell XO but I’m pretty sure I kept this one.

Post

stash98 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:12 am
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:31 am
stash98 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 am Any of you all lose access to your license? I logged into the Algonaut site and I have no 2.0 license under my account anymore. Basically when I updated to the newest version, this happened. Reached out to Algonaut to see what the deal is.
i haven't
Yeah I went searching to see if I sold the plugin to someone but don’t see that I did so far. I did sell XO but I’m pretty sure I kept this one.
send them an email mate, they're sound i spoke to them before.

Post

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:24 am
davidka wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:47 am Just downloaded the demo. I have lots of WAV drum and melodic Loops, and was wondering how are they utilized inside Atlas2.
Can they be automatically chopped and categorized in some way? Do you have some recommendations on how to approach it?
No Atlas doesn't chop loops. Tal Drum chops loops.
That's what I'm using now (about a week) and I love it. I have XO and Atlas but I'm reaching for Tal Drum consistently.
I downloaded the Sitala Ableton Rack Converter so I can retrieve all my racks and see how I will use them in Tal Drum.
Atlas is great but now I'm on Tal journey.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Post

liquidsound wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:24 am
davidka wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:47 am Just downloaded the demo. I have lots of WAV drum and melodic Loops, and was wondering how are they utilized inside Atlas2.
Can they be automatically chopped and categorized in some way? Do you have some recommendations on how to approach it?
No Atlas doesn't chop loops. Tal Drum chops loops.
That's what I'm using now (about a week) and I love it. I have XO and Atlas but I'm reaching for Tal Drum consistently.
I downloaded the Sitala Ableton Rack Converter so I can retrieve all my racks and see how I will use them in Tal Drum.
Atlas is great but now I'm on Tal journey.
They both have a place IMO, Atlas is good at what it does. :)

Post

fisherKing wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:59 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:35 am
nanostream wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:13 am
enCiphered wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:18 am Seriously, you're clueless about Atlas and what it brings to the table. What you are posting sounds like you've only treated it as some basic drum machine for playback.
Honest question, what does Atlas bring to the table that’s genuinely unique and useful? I’ve never really used the map, for example. It’s a good idea and looks pretty, but I’ve found it to be quicker by just randomly generating new kits, locking pads with sounds I like until I have everything I need. I can do the exact same thing in Live now.

I’ll maybe miss the ability to create custom maps, but other than that? Live‘s sequencer and sampler are far better, so, what’s left?
Yes, the map. It was first and then XO. If you don’t use the maps I don’t understand why you’d use the software.
i've switched from the map to the list; works better for me. and i don't use the sequencer... but, hands down, my fave drum plugin (and i've owned way too many...)
Must say, I have to agree with nanostream. I have owned the Atlas from the version onwards, tried to like it. Made at least 40 attemps with different set of kit samples/sounds, spent hours with the software. But the result is: the mapping doesn’t work good enough, too much tweaking, walking in the dark.
I get better results with the 15 other drum application own, with a fraction of time.
Good if the product fits to your workflow, to mine, not with this level if ”AI”.

Post

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 am Must say, I have to agree with nanostream. I have owned the Atlas from the version onwards, tried to like it. Made at least 40 attemps with different set of kit samples/sounds, spent hours with the software. But the result is: the mapping doesn’t work good enough, too much tweaking, walking in the dark.
I get better results with the 15 other drum application own, with a fraction of time.
Good if the product fits to your workflow, to mine, not with this level if ”AI”.
just curious: what's wrong with the mapping? especially if you've made '40 attempts' to make kits... what needs tweaking? what is 'walking in the dark'?

i make kits, usually use sep outs to eq etc as needed... and work. seems pretty simple.

Post

fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 am Must say, I have to agree with nanostream. I have owned the Atlas from the version one onwards, tried to like it. Made at least 40 attemps with different set of kit samples/sounds, spent hours with the software. But the result is: the mapping doesn’t work good enough, too much tweaking, walking in the dark.
I get better results with the 15 other drum applications own, with a fraction of time.
Good if the product fits to your workflow, to mine, not with this level of ”AI”.
just curious: what's wrong with the mapping? especially if you've made '40 attempts' to make kits... what needs tweaking? what is 'walking in the dark'?

i make kits, usually use sep outs to eq etc as needed... and work. seems pretty simple.
The basic flaw simply is - according to my opinion - that the end result doesn’t sound good. Or making it sound good after
1.the ”AI” has generated the mapping
2, you let the the system to create the drum kit
to make the final result sound good requires a lot of manual tweaking.

Its easier the do the whole process manually. E.g. by create a drum rack in the Live, and the choose each kit piece sound to the rack from your Live sound library/your purchased drum sound library.

What is the add on value of the Atlas ”AI” if it isn’t capable to create the mapping in the way, that once you generate the kit based on mapped kit piece categories, the end result of the kit sounds 80-90 % good?

But as said, if you are happy with the Atlas, good for you. So far the AI which ”listens” the sound and makes the ”kit piece group universe”, isn’t good enough, in my opinion.

Post

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am
fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 am Must say, I have to agree with nanostream. I have owned the Atlas from the version one onwards, tried to like it. Made at least 40 attemps with different set of kit samples/sounds, spent hours with the software. But the result is: the mapping doesn’t work good enough, too much tweaking, walking in the dark.
I get better results with the 15 other drum applications own, with a fraction of time.
Good if the product fits to your workflow, to mine, not with this level of ”AI”.
just curious: what's wrong with the mapping? especially if you've made '40 attempts' to make kits... what needs tweaking? what is 'walking in the dark'?

i make kits, usually use sep outs to eq etc as needed... and work. seems pretty simple.
The basic flaw simply is - according to my opinion - that the end result doesn’t sound good. Or making it sound good after
1.the ”AI” has generated the mapping
2, you let the the system to create the drum kit
to make the final result sound good requires a lot of manual tweaking.

Its easier the do the whole process manually from the scratch. E.g. by creating a Live drum rack in the Live channel, and then choose each kit piece sound to the rack from your Live sound library/your purchased drum exterbal sound library grouped in kcks, snares, toms, higats etc.

What is the add on value of the Atlas ”AI” if it isn’t capable to create the mapping in the way, that once you generate the kit based on mapped kit piece categories, the end result of the kit sounds 80-90 % good?

But as said, if you are happy with the Atlas, good for you. So far the AI which ”listens” the sound and makes the ”kit piece group universe”, isn’t good enough, in my opinion.

Post

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am
fisherKing wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:32 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 am Must say, I have to agree with nanostream. I have owned the Atlas from the version one onwards, tried to like it. Made at least 40 attemps with different set of kit samples/sounds, spent hours with the software. But the result is: the mapping doesn’t work good enough, too much tweaking, walking in the dark.
I get better results with the 15 other drum applications own, with a fraction of time.
Good if the product fits to your workflow, to mine, not with this level of ”AI”.
just curious: what's wrong with the mapping? especially if you've made '40 attempts' to make kits... what needs tweaking? what is 'walking in the dark'?

i make kits, usually use sep outs to eq etc as needed... and work. seems pretty simple.
The basic flaw simply is - according to my opinion - that the end result doesn’t sound good. Or making it sound good after
1.the ”AI” has generated the mapping
2, you let the the system to create the drum kit
to make the final result sound good requires a lot of manual tweaking.

Its easier the do the whole process manually from the scratch. E.g. by putting a Live drum rack in the Live channel, and then choose and drag each kit piece sound to the rack from your Live sound library/your purchased drum third party sound library grouped in kcks, snares, toms, hihats etc.

What is the add on value of the Atlas ”AI” if it isn’t capable to create the mapping in the way, that once you generate the kit based on mapped kit piece categories, the end result of the kit sounds 80-90 % good (and you need just minor tweaking)?

But as said, if you are happy with the Atlas, good for you. So far the AI which ”listens” the sound and makes the ”kit piece group universe”, isn’t good enough, in my opinion.

Post

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am The basic flaw simply is - according to my opinion - that the end result doesn’t sound good. Or making it sound good after
1.the ”AI” has generated the mapping
2, you let the the system to create the drum kit
to make the final result sound good requires a lot of manual tweaking.

Its easier the do the whole process manually. E.g. by create a drum rack in the Live, and the choose each kit piece sound to the rack from your Live sound library/your purchased drum sound library.

What is the add on value of the Atlas ”AI” if it isn’t capable to create the mapping in the way, that once you generate the kit based on mapped kit piece categories, the end result of the kit sounds 80-90 % good?

But as said, if you are happy with the Atlas, good for you. So far the AI which ”listens” the sound and makes the ”kit piece group universe”, isn’t good enough, in my opinion.
random sound choices are... random. if that's not a good starting point, you don't have to use that option.

i choose the sounds i want, and get to work... just as you can do in the drum plugins in most DAWs. i like the list view, the options & control i have in over sounds in atlas. not sure what else there is.

Return to “Instruments”