What Turns You On More: Producing Or Performing Live To An Audience?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:02 am
neverbefore wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:55 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:02 pm Are audiences really there any more?
there are still audiences but probably not so much for small to mid sized venues.
last time I performed live was a few years back maybe to 25000 people but that was a 12hr festival with lots of top line acts.
live performing is way more exciting than studio work. but I also record outside the studio for various projects and that can be great if the project invol es interesting people

live playing is just a whole order above tho
What I was referring to though was that while the venue is full, there are far less people actively listening. It's more important to them in showing others they were there than actually "experiencing there".
sorry - yes, distractability is rife with well known cause. Art galleries and museums now design in a selfie piece to every large show so that they get free advertising over social media and also so that the selfie crowd doesn't get in the way of the work that requires sustained attention

Seems like that would be good for electronic musicians, though. People used to surround us when we performed, just to watch us tweaking all the analogs. I imagine it'd be the same now, only with tons of pictures and videos getting uploaded after.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:10 am Seems like that would be good for electronic musicians, though. People used to surround us when we performed, just to watch us tweaking all the analogs. I imagine it'd be the same now, only with tons of pictures and videos getting uploaded after.
yes, rather than just play the music it might be better to put on a show with selfies in mind -live video feeds are cheap and relatively easy now, a few projectors/screens and only effort stands in the way of an interesting audience focussed visual experience to go with the sound

They’re two very different things that are each rewarding in their own way, but I’d definitely have to go with live music. Most of my live playing was throughout the late 80s-2000 and most of that was the Michigan college circuit. This was far before the cell phone days and the college students came out to see the band, dance, drink heavily, and have a great time. So much energy. The largest crowd I think I ever played before was around 5K for an outdoor reggae festival. The band I was in at the time was not even remotely a reggae band, but the promoter was a fan and friend of our drummer, so he invited us to play. I actually played our set with a broken toe from a bizarre frisbee incident just before we went on. It was gruesome and painful, but all I remember was seeing a sea of people (and bongs) dancing along to our songs. I’ve never experienced anything like that feeling in my studio…not even close.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Virus TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | Maschine+ | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 am I actually played our set with a broken toe from a bizarre frisbee incident
The 90's ruled.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:22 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 am I actually played our set with a broken toe from a bizarre frisbee incident
The 90's ruled.

Yeah, I lost most of those brain cells, but I’ve heard it was a good time. :hihi:

Musically, I’ll take the 80s, but the 90s was like a decade-long college frat party. Good times! :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Virus TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | Maschine+ | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:22 am
The 90's ruled.

Yeah, I lost most of those brain cells, but I’ve heard it was a good time. :hihi:

Musically, I’ll take the 80s, but the 90s was like a decade-long college frat party. Good times! :tu:
True dat! Some of us enjoyed our second childhood with all of the trimmings, and then some!

A Female is what get me going but i am not to judge if a concert or making music does it for you :hihi:

But i did like to perform in the 90s and getting good feedback from the crowd which made me happy :)

Making music is fun too :tu:

Live, even in the studio I prefer to play live. Thats the nature of free improvisation. Its kind of the opposite of constructing/producing music…

D-Fusion wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:24 pm A Female is what get me going but i am not to judge if a concert or making music does it for you :hihi:
do you narrow it down to a few species or is it open? or just one even?

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:24 pm A Female is what get me going but i am not to judge if a concert or making music does it for you :hihi:
do you narrow it down to a few species or is it open? or just one even?
Only Human Species and one is enough :party:

I have some great memories playing live but lately I have found performing a bit dissatisfying mainly due to the fact that even on good production stages the onstage sound is terrible. It really has become a chore to get through the gig. The energy is cool but I would really like to enjoy the sound on stage.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

That is why I bring my own music equipment instead of relying on the venue. While you may not be able to practically deal with sound treatment issues at every gig or large venues supporting thousands of people, you can at least bring the right gear for the job and shape your sound the way you want yourself and others to hear it.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am That is why I bring my own music equipment instead of relying on the venue. While you may not be able to practically deal with sound treatment issues at every gig or large venues supporting thousands of people, you can at least bring the right gear for the job and shape your sound the way you want yourself and others to hear it.
Agreed. The band Keane used to be a customer of mine and they treated their live sound engineer as a member of the band. He was with them for the several years I knew them. They took their live sound seriously and consequently sounded fantastic every time I saw them perform.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm ... they treated their live sound engineer as a member of the band. ... They took their live sound seriously and consequently sounded fantastic every time I saw them perform.
had to +1 this x 1B. what you sound like is all you got, especially if ur doing originals. we paid our sound guy first and well and always sounded like what we hoped for. he ended up producing our first record, as well as getting loads of other studio gigs.

...unless ur a fashion model banging a laptop full of loops at a biker bar. then nobody cares...

and just noting my first sentence looks like algebra...(smh)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”