U-He Repro 5 Vs Softube Model 80 - Blind Test Comparisons + Settings to Match Them

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dombaeb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 pm I made a mistake in the text. Of course, I compared the Repro and the Model 80...I know that U-he Repro can easily sounds like a real thing, and it's far more versatile if you have some wish to tweak it, but Model 80 sounds more attractive out of the box. Most of the time that's all I need from the synth.
Viktor [TUC] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:07 pm
Dombaeb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:17 pm ... the difference between the Repro and the original is too obvious...
You say you don't have one, so what is this based on? It sounds like our original Prophet-5, that's for sure.
If you don't adjust things on Repro it will not sound the same, that is true. Otherwise, it sounds very very very very similar. Model 80 seems to have the edge on authenticity overall, barely. However, it's not nearly as good of an overall instrument because of it's drastic limitations. The high CPU usage doesn't help, either.

If you just want to launch something and play, Model 80.
or
Just make a few tweaks to Repro5 and save some presets and you'll start off pretty much identical but with a lot more you can do thereafter.

In the end, though, get/use the one(s) that make you happy.

What are the tweaks to make Repro more vintage ?

Repro is more accurate, just like Synapse's Legend, Softube synths are exaggerated analog (more detuned, saturated) but we like that sound more (thats why we chase analog in the first place, imperfections, more of it = better) . Also in 99% of the audios you heard of the hardware, the synth get passed through an analog signal chain which colors the sound (more coloured with older songs cause vintage preamp, console, tape machine that wobble and flutter...) so in the end it probably will sound closer to M80 than repro, repro is modeled with the cleanest path possible (im assuming so cause that the right way to model). TLDR : Model 80 sounds better out of the box (better in sonics, not accuracy), with Repro you will have to add processing to make it on par but with the extra features, repro is more valuable in the end for me.

Also something i learned from a DMG's GS post is that when people compare analog compressors to plugins, the hardware is positioned in a way that the mixer had to move away from the speakers sweetspot to tweak which might greatly change the sound you hear depending on the position and the room, so take that into consideration when comparing HW synths to softsynths.

PS: U-he please add slop knob to Repros
Last edited by jtsterays on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

A “Slop Knob”. I like the idea, and the name as well! 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

carrieres wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:53 pm What are the tweaks to make Repro more vintage ?
Under the hood of it there are a lot of options to detune more. Distort the filter. Etc.

It’s so good. I’ve never considered another prophet plugin since and I have 2 dsi synths.

carrieres wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:53 pm What are the tweaks to make Repro more vintage ?
I'm not even joking:

jtsterays wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:11 pm Softube synths are exaggerated analog (more detuned, saturated)
How Model 80 is more saturated? Are you comparing to Repro or to the hardware?

It is not more saturated comparing to my P5 at all. To be frank I usually leave enough headroom for the oscillators on the mixer. If you just crank it up to full moon it will saturate more on the hardware, but not as bad (actually nice) like on the Matriarch/ Grandmother which literally makes your triangle a square wave.

I’m genuinely interested in audio examples where Model 80 saturates with OSC volume at 2 o’clock and main volume at noon, because I can’t hear that
Last edited by audiouser720 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs/u-he could offer different calibration profiles (new/precise/vintage/warm/unstable etc). People, including me,like how Softube emulations sound. It's a pleasing sound. I think they should analyze it and implement something to get that sound with a click of a button. We even discussed this in another thread a while ago. I can't remember which thread.

I won't buy Model 80 because i don't need another CPU hog. Maybe if they offer it for really cheap one day.

mi-os wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:41 pm Urs/u-he could offer different calibration profiles (new/precise/vintage/warm/unstable etc). People, including me,like how Softube emulations sound. It's a pleasing sound. I think they should analyze it and implement something to get that sound with a click of a button. We even discussed this in another thread a while ago. I can't remember which thread.

I won't buy Model 80 because i don't need another CPU hog. Maybe if they offer it for really cheap one day.
That day is today. It’s literally 40quid with that code they’re sharing on that other forum gerslutz.

I also didn’t find it too CPU intensive, but our machines are probably different
Last edited by audiouser720 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nope, i mean really cheap.

audiouser720 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 pm
jtsterays wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:11 pm Softube synths are exaggerated analog (more detuned, saturated)
How Model 80 is more saturated? Are you comparing to Repro or to the hardware?

It is not more saturated comparing to my P5 at all.
The resonance is sharper and more intense than the Rev 4. Maybe that's the saturation people are talking about, and I'd say the u-he is more accurate there. But dialing the Softube back, I can get all three of them to sound the same, which is why this discussion is pointless. It's beyond splitting hairs at this point.

You mean like Waves kinda cheap?

Definitely true for the Model 72, if I compare it to Monark or Diva. TBH, I think it's their weakest one. Model 80 sounds very good to me though, as do Model 82 and 84.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi-os wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:56 pm Nope, i mean really cheap.
I don't think it gets any cheaper than that.

I mean yeah if I run Repro through some preamps and add some OTB processing you will never tell it’s not a Prophet, but to be fair that’s what I do with the Prophet and with all my hardware synth as well. I think the genuine problem with these comparisons is that some people who compare, don’t seem to know how to use a real synth. Especially when comparing to vintage synths in a vintage song. Preamps, mixers, tape and those proper quality effects they used in the 80s add a lot to that charm. I could link in example to the contrary where youtube guy runs his p5r4 clean with no preamp drenched in shitty reverb and than it just sounds like a plugin

I actually wonder why no developer ever built a synth with (optional) preamp modelling. I guess it’s not quite possible unless your name is Andy Simper or something.

Imagine Diva 2 where you could not just select synth modules, but also different preamp models built right into the synth, imitating proper signal chain and or mixer characteristics. Of course, all component modelled 100x oversampled draining your CPU to death, but it would sound cool anyway.

Return to “Instruments”