New GForce OB-EZ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

In the days when liner notes was a thing, check how many had credits for synth programmers separate from keyboardist/synthesist (lots)..

There are a few who excel at both like Arksun, Julian Pollack, Matt Johnson and I am sure quite a few others though, but they are indeed imho two separate art forms...

Of course if it is a hobby and you are just doing it for fun, that indeed is different as you don't necessarily need to be good at either.

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Post

A lot of people just play keyboards and have no interest in how the sound was made, so a player version makes sense- AAS do loads of these.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Post

zvenx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 am but they are indeed imho two separate art forms...
Of course but there's no reason one can't excel at both art forms. For example would Skrillex be Skrillex if he had only used presets made by others?

Having said that, I'll use presets made by others without any guilt but I always reach for my own first because they're made to be the kind of presets I like and use.
zvenx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 amOf course if it is a hobby and you are just doing it for fun, that indeed is different as you don't necessarily need to be good at either.
Or if it's more about being professional then learning the tools of your art form makes perfect sense. :wink:

Programming your synths prior to making music with them is as old as synths themselves. My first hardware synths didn't have the ability to save presets so you had no choice but to manually program them before each track.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post

Teksonik wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:01 am Can one not be a "synth programmer nerd" and also a musician? I consider myself to be both and don't consider them to be mutually exclusive. :shrug:
You know what I mean... I'm talking about people who *aren't* synth programmer nerds, because the ones who are, will generally always want everything exposed and tweakable. It was pretty clear from my post, so let's not just try and be argumentative for the sake of it...

No one's saying you can't be a synth nerd and *also* a musician, but that's so obvious from the context I can't believe I'm having to actually type it...

If it still wasn't clear, there are people who have no interest or skills in synth programming, and are more interested in composing, and all they need (for a low price) is a good bunch of sounds and some easy musician-friendly-non-synth-nerd controls to quickly adjust to taste for the part.

Post

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:48 pm That's not quite the same thing, unless you want to make every module identical. That's why OB-EZ is so good - it has a UNISON button that detunes each module against the others.
You're right. With Group turned on, the knobs should move relative to their current positions. Also, Unison should be added to OB-E.

Post

SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:32 am A lot of people just play keyboards and have no interest in how the sound was made, so a player version makes sense- AAS do loads of these.
Yes, and the amount of control available with OB-EZ is quite a bit better than AAS Player and Analog Lab. Perfect for the person who likes to start from a preset and tweak from there.

Post

beely wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:14 am
Teksonik wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:01 am Can one not be a "synth programmer nerd" and also a musician? I consider myself to be both and don't consider them to be mutually exclusive. :shrug:
You know what I mean...
I don't think you know what you mean. Perhaps you need to work on your "clarity". :wink:

Anyway my point stands. It's not impossible to be a sound designer and a musician at the same time.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post

Uncle E wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am
SLiC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:32 am A lot of people just play keyboards and have no interest in how the sound was made, so a player version makes sense- AAS do loads of these.
Yes, and the amount of control available with OB-EZ is quite a bit better than AAS Player and Analog Lab. Perfect for the person who likes to start from a preset and tweak from there.
For the record I'm not opposed to this plugin at all but here's how I view it... :lol:


Training Wheels 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post


Post

zvenx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 am but they are indeed imho two separate art forms...
Not at all, for me music is creative exploration of sound, making music generally involves exploring sonic spaces where sound design and musical composition are part of the same process

Post

How many great musicians are also great sound designers?
Make it easier, how many good musicians are also good sound designers.
oh Add Eric Persing to my previous list.

rsp
sound sculptist

Post

I would much rather they'd made SEM polyphonic with a spread dial for voice panning and detune instead of making this. A simpler version of OB-E, much like what they did with Oddity 3 and Axxess.

Post

zvenx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:39 am How many great musicians are also great sound designers?
Make it easier, how many good musicians are also good sound designers.
oh Add Eric Persing to my previous list.

rsp
I would say most modular synth musicians also don’t see sound creation as a separate process from music creation - they are one and the same, the music emerges from the exploration of sound. This is also true of composers like Berio such as in his Sequenzas where the music is about exploration of the sonic and expressive possibilities of particular instruments.

Post

Teksonik wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:47 am For the record I'm not opposed to this plugin at all but here's how I view it... :lol:



Training Wheels 1.png
Plugin for zoomers.

Image
<List your stupid gear here>

Post

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am
zvenx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:39 am How many great musicians are also great sound designers?
Make it easier, how many good musicians are also good sound designers.
oh Add Eric Persing to my previous list.

rsp
I would say most modular synth musicians also don’t see sound creation as a separate process from music creation - they are one and the same, the music emerges from the exploration of sound. This is also true of composers like Berio such as in his Sequenzas where the music is about exploration of the sonic and expressive possibilities of particular instruments.
I think modular synthesists is an exception though.
I actually would in general consider them more sound designers and composers than musicians in this role.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”