Why are so few Mac plugs limited to default drive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can always symlink dirs like content dirs of plug-ins, moving them to external drives. This commonly works with all software under macos. But you have to know the basics about macos structure and terminal.

Just move your home folder to an external drive.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:03 am So I was thinking mostly in general terms "how can it be hard for a developer to add the option to select install location?".
The devs have NOTHING to do with this. Where the plugins go is a feature of the OS.

psynical wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm
GearNostalgia wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:03 am So I was thinking mostly in general terms "how can it be hard for a developer to add the option to select install location?".
The devs have NOTHING to do with this. Where the plugins go is a feature of the OS.
totally wrong.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

For years developers have complained that Mac users need the most support, because they expect the computer & software will do everything FOR them so they don't need to learn about their OS file structure (e.g. using the tools in my previous post) :?
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:42 am For years developers have complained that Mac users need the most support, because they expect the computer & software will do everything FOR them so they don't need to learn about their OS file structure (e.g. using the tools in my previous post) :?
This does not change the fact that some developers have managed to add the "select install folder dialogue" and some have not.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:05 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:42 am For years developers have complained that Mac users need the most support, because they expect the computer & software will do everything FOR them so they don't need to learn about their OS file structure (e.g. using the tools in my previous post) :?
This does not change the fact that some developers have managed to add the "select install folder dialogue" and some have not.
All the developers in the world cannot change the fact that your hard drive is smaller than your GAS :shrug:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:23 am All the developers in the world cannot change the fact that your hard drive is smaller than your GAS :shrug:
And they can not change the way Apple like to lock us into not expanding drives, so if they want to sell plugs they better add "select install location".

1.Download the free app Symbolic Link Maker from the App store and install it. It adds a "make symlink" command to Finder's contextual menu.

2. Make note of the location of the folder you want to move.

3. Move the folder to a new location.

4. Once it's moved right/ctrl click on the folder---> Make symlink

5. Move the symlink to the original location of the folder you just moved.

That's it.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:05 am This does not change the fact that some developers have managed to add the "select install folder dialogue" and some have not.
Da fuq are you talking about? I have hundreds of plugins and never once has one asked me where to install the plugin.

GearNostalgia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 pm And they can not change the way Apple like to lock us into not expanding drives, so if they want to sell plugs they better add "select install location".
You know damn well how Apple is, you chose to play on their team, now you have to follow their rules and learn how to use the tool you just bought. You dont go buy a hammer and complain when it can't do finish sanding. It would have been just as easy to wait and save another $1-200 to get the next size hard drive, but you HAD to have whatever you got right then and there..

OS X cleaned up a lot of the mess of the old days. Now things have a dedicated place, and they go there so things 'just work'. That's the way it is. Not sure why a company develops an operating system, and then the public expects that operating system needs to bend to their individual will, instead of learning how to actually use it the way it was intended. That is not how any of this works..

mothra wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:22 pm You know damn well how Apple is, you chose to play on their team, now you have to follow their rules and learn how to use the tool you just bought.
Now I know. I was tricked into Apple. I regret getting Apple cause it is so crippled and locked down and the OS is a limboland. Either software don't work cause the OS is too old or they don't work cause the OS is too new and after many months many programs still have not updated to the new OS. A system of many headaches.

GearNostalgia wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:52 amI was tricked into Apple.
and all those plugins, too!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

:lol:

as mothra has implied, what the OP wants is windows sort of protocol. There's no good reason to put plugins on another volume under Mac OS, it's overly complicating one's own life even worrying about it IME. I would think one would have to have a preposterous amount of plugins to amass significant space issues there.

Return to “Instruments”