Is my EQ linear phase?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LunarKitten wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am Okay, that is good to hear. In a particular case I think it is important, because I want to enhance the lowend of a bassline by adding a lowpassed copy that is differently edited. If I use non linear phase I am afraid I am destroying the lowend with phasing.
How good is your monitoring? Can you hear the low end properly? If you use a normal EQ for this and it doesn’t destroy your low end, then there’s no need to worry :)

Kappa_Beta_Hi-Phi wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 am Sounds like a job for Mixing with Mike OP:

https://www.youtube.com/@mixingwithmike/playlists

Also since everyone is telling you to get the TDR stuff let me introduce you to our friend Dan Worrall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpokm0j1DXQ

And before anyone says anything MwM is great for beginners - I don't care if you think he's shit, and also I don't care if you don't like Dan Worralls voice or whatever, in Worrall we trust!
Thanks those are awesome videos.
andymcbain wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:23 pm
LunarKitten wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am Okay, that is good to hear. In a particular case I think it is important, because I want to enhance the lowend of a bassline by adding a lowpassed copy that is differently edited. If I use non linear phase I am afraid I am destroying the lowend with phasing.
How good is your monitoring? Can you hear the low end properly? If you use a normal EQ for this and it doesn’t destroy your low end, then there’s no need to worry :)
I don't have a sub, so it could be better.
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

I have two subs. I sometimes use linear phase - mostly when I'm taking care of low end and minimal phase produces significant peak overshoots or changes the timbre of something drastically, or when I'm processing something in parallel.
i.e. phase can screw up mic correlation in multitrack drum recordings. it can also make it better because you usually have some phase distortion going on anyway because mics are usually not the same distance.

so it's really a "let's try" sort of thing. for making multi-mic guitars fat I use this
https://www.voxengo.com/product/pha979/

it's the opposite of linear phase EQ, this doesn't change any frequency but introduces only phase distortion. :D

In case you don't happen to have a linear phase EQ, you can create your own, using any of your normal plugins. Simply render the results. Then reverse the audio so that it plays backwards, then render the identical EQ settings again and reverse the audio back to normal. Voilá, you've just created a linear phase EQ.

Only thing to note is that of course your EQ gain settings will be doubled. So if you want to do -3dB of cut or +3dB of boost then you need to halve that amount in your plugin as it gets rendered twice. Other than that, you can create your own with ease. Granted it's not real-time and slightly cumbersome but it's none-the-less an interesting process.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Ploki wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 am I have two subs. I sometimes use linear phase - mostly when I'm taking care of low end and minimal phase produces significant peak overshoots or changes the timbre of something drastically, or when I'm processing something in parallel.
Interesting. I was concerned about the phase issues and destroying the lowend when processing a bass in parallel.
Ploki wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 ami.e. phase can screw up mic correlation in multitrack drum recordings. it can also make it better because you usually have some phase distortion going on anyway because mics are usually not the same distance.
So it can fix the issues of not properly setup multimic applications.

Ploki wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 amso it's really a "let's try" sort of thing. for making multi-mic guitars fat I use this
https://www.voxengo.com/product/pha979/

it's the opposite of linear phase EQ, this doesn't change any frequency but introduces only phase distortion. :D
I don't completely understand. Phase distortion is not phase shifting right? So the phase gets bent resulting in less phase cancelation?
bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm In case you don't happen to have a linear phase EQ, you can create your own, using any of your normal plugins. Simply render the results. Then reverse the audio so that it plays backwards, then render the identical EQ settings again and reverse the audio back to normal. Voilá, you've just created a linear phase EQ.

Only thing to note is that of course your EQ gain settings will be doubled. So if you want to do -3dB of cut or +3dB of boost then you need to halve that amount in your plugin as it gets rendered twice. Other than that, you can create your own with ease. Granted it's not real-time and slightly cumbersome but it's none-the-less an interesting process.
This is the point at which I'd rather buy a plugin. :D

Thankfully there is Ozone 11.
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

LunarKitten wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:15 pm
bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm In case you don't happen to have a linear phase EQ, you can create your own, using any of your normal plugins. Simply render the results. Then reverse the audio so that it plays backwards, then render the identical EQ settings again and reverse the audio back to normal. Voilá, you've just created a linear phase EQ.

This is the point at which I'd rather buy a plugin. :D

Thankfully there is Ozone 11.
Indeed, but it can be a fun thing to experiment. Try creating linear phase versions of an emulation of some gentle tube EQ (massive passive, pultec etc). :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:38 pm

Indeed, but it can be a fun thing to experiment. Try creating linear phase versions of an emulation of some gentle tube EQ (massive passive, pultec etc). :)
I'm going to give it a try.

Return to “Effects”