Connecting DAWs Together With Connector

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Connector

In this video tutorial we should you how to setup Logic Pro and ProTools to send audio and/or MIDI between DAWs flawlessly with our software Connector.

Link to the article with the video: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... connector/

Next step is to create system wide MIDI ports, there is a SDK for this you might integrate.

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software ... lmidi.html I have very good experience with this software.

That’s everything to have feature complete product. Virtual ASIO and MIDI.

Another less used stuff is ReWire but this never worked reliably for me over years and it’s discontinued. Another use case I will like is sending audio to icecast server for broadcasting.

There are indeed lots of additions that we could do to this plug-in! Let's see how it evolves in the future!

Quick question from a not-so-geeky geek. I've watched most, if not all, of the tutorial vids, and read most of the manual. Then again, it might just be my dislexia. However, I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what it can and can't do with MIDI. I'll just ask how I understand my objective. FYI! I AM planning on buying a separate Server PC. Can Connector support playback of all 16 MIDI chs.? If not, how many instances do I need? Should I create maybe 4 instances and only play 4 chs. through each, which doesn't seem like a real solution. Pls advise?

Also, when I install my pre-existing VSTs is it as simple as copying them from my current DAW PC (and the directories they're in) to the new Server PC (the exact counter part directories)? And will I have to re-license them?
i7-12650H CPU, 32Gig RAM/Win 11 Pro. PreSonus 1824C, Native Instr S88 Mk1, ATOM SQ, PreSonus Sphere, Sonar Platinum, SampleTank4, BIAB 2023.

I guess you are thinking about using both Connector (to send/ receive) and PatchWork's Network mode (to process)?

In this case, you indeed have to install your plug-ins on the server, with appropriate licensing and configuration, if possible, in the same directories. Connector can indeed send all 16 MIDI channels thru a single connection. And you would receive back a single audio stream from the PatchWork app.

Here is some positive feedback to make your day: I have been trying, with zero success, to use FL Studio as a VST withing Reaper. Absolutely no way to get a signal to go through FLS then back to Reaper. Rewire is worthless. On a hunch I tried Connector and now this works perfectly! FLS now works exactly as a VST plugin. Thank you!

Rodulf wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:33 pm Here is some positive feedback to make your day: I have been trying, with zero success, to use FL Studio as a VST withing Reaper. Absolutely no way to get a signal to go through FLS then back to Reaper. Rewire is worthless. On a hunch I tried Connector and now this works perfectly! FLS now works exactly as a VST plugin. Thank you!
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback!

Update- Connector is working great between Reaper and FL Studio but when I send the signal back to Reaper I cannot render it. Sounds great, definitely a signal coming through...just will not render. I don't think this is Connectors fault, but Reaper is not happy. Any thoughts?

Rodulf wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:14 pm Update- Connector is working great between Reaper and FL Studio but when I send the signal back to Reaper I cannot render it. Sounds great, definitely a signal coming through...just will not render. I don't think this is Connectors fault, but Reaper is not happy. Any thoughts?
By "render", do you mean offline rendering? Connector streams in real time, so offline rendering will not work (except when streaming withing the same application).

one question about Connector. There will sometimes be some latency from the sounds of it, does connector make any attempt to report latency to the host for PDC to kick in?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:05 am one question about Connector. There will sometimes be some latency from the sounds of it, does connector make any attempt to report latency to the host for PDC to kick in?
Unfortunately, latency estimation is really tricky with Connector, as the audio path may be quite complex (you can have as many hops as you wish, on several machines). In many scenarios it even does not have any sense, and Connector cannot be made aware of what you are doing with it.

So that tells me that as is, not sample accurate..which is fine, I get it for live use that makes sense. For recording, not so much. I understand it might be difficult to detect the latency, but anyway if there was a knob to set it on our own then at least it could report some latency to the host and let PDC kick in for mixing down a project sample accurately that way.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

If you are using the "App" mode inside a single app it is a different story of course (it is zero latency in most cases, and one buffer at worst). Sample accurate latency compensation between several apps/machine which audio interfaces are not synchronized does not make much sense anyway.

There are several plug-ins that let you report any latency to the host, so you should be able to use that on the tracks that require synchronization.

Huh? I thought Patchwork standalone reported back the delay to connector?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but have a support ticket out, and are we legit saying that fine if you send a whole mix stereo bus out through Connector to patchwork then whatever delay happens happens no issue, just:

1. Do not have an insert sending out and coming back, meanwhile many other tracks going to your two bus without the Connector Patckwork hop, because combined it wont be in sync, the hop is delayed no matter what?

2. The thru dial in Connector should never be used simultaneously with the returned audio, as it will clearly show at least either samples or millisecond or basically best case flamming audio? Why does it exist other than for internal App use cases?

So bummed out by Connector and Patchwork standalone…

I really thought I was onto a DSP multithreaded solution, I guess install AudioGridder now and see…

David

It depends on what you process on the server side (typically a reverb is fine, monitoring is fine too), and there are many cases where Connector is used to receive audio that is not related at all (another track / instrument etc.). Offloading processing on another computer is just an "extra" that you can do with Connector, but it is definitely not the main purpose.

The process is fully asynchronous (or you would not gain any CPU at all), so it is not an easy thing to determine the exact latency and report it to the host. It is however estimated now (You can hover the mouse on the network icon to get an idea of the latency from the network, and you also have the buffer length in milliseconds), so we will probably add an option in the future to manually enter a value for latency compensation.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”