Logic Pro 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

qtheerearranger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 pm honestly its the only thing that keeps me from using ableton. it is a creative flow killer for me. it gets me so angry lol. I have to admit I just assumed bitwig had the same issue lol. I may give it another go. Does bitwig have GUI lag like ableton for larger sessions?
If you follow the rules of Live, use the key shortcut, and never manually close the GUI in Ableton, it works fine, maybe better than Logic. In Logic it's all key commands, or an even worse mousing experience with that idiotic instrument sliver. In Live each track when selected can show/hide the plugin, which I don't believe Logic does? Bitwig does it like Live, but closing the plugin manually does not force you to mouse click the sub window device to open it again.

my issue is i naturally press escape to close windows. there is a setting in logic to have the plugins only be visible on selected track. I personally love the individual keyboard shortcuts to open each one but I do wish the slivers were bigger! I think S1 handles plugin windows by far the best out of any daw and i dont understand why every daw isnt trying to copy it but its probably bc I'm the only one who actually likes it. I love the nested plugin windows where everything is in one window unless you pin the plugins! But I think logic is then better bitwig and ableton but keyboard shortcuts are again something I love. I'm a former pc mmo gamer in my youth so keyboard shortcuts are no sweat.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

native plugin search after 30 years would be mindblowing

qtheerearranger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm
qtheerearranger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:56 pm have to say ableton 12 is really cool though as someone whos had the beta for two months. I just cant get into clicking that little wrench for third party plugins.
Ugh, my least favorite UX issue in Live is how third party plugin GUI's are opened. The first time you instantiate a plugin on a track the GUI opens and if you do not close it with the mouse manually, you can use the instrument key shortcut to open/close the GUI, (option command p), but if you close the GUI manually, you're back to the wrench. There's literally no reason why closing the plugin manually should force you to use the wrench, but that's how it be. Moral of the story, learn the key command and never close the plugin manually.

I think Bitwig is the only DAW that got this right without tweaking something or following weird rules like Live, the default key command to open a selected tracks instrument window is v, for VST, that's it.
honestly its the only thing that keeps me from using ableton. it is a creative flow killer for me. it gets me so angry lol. I have to admit I just assumed bitwig had the same issue lol. I may give it another go. Does bitwig have GUI lag like ableton for larger sessions?
Why not configure the same shortcut for each instrument/fx group to quickly show or hide or select the corresponding plugins without the need to click on the wrench icons(command+k)? Biwtg also supports this feature, and you can even use extra mouse buttons for triggering. Search for the best light MMO mouse for 2024 online to find a suitable option
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:30 pm why not assign the same shortcut per instrument/fx group to toggle the visibility of the corresponding plugins(lead,bass etc), eliminating the need to click on the wrench icons? Command+K is the shortcut for the key map mode switch.
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 22.25.34.png
Biwtig also knows it, able top open/close the assigned plugin from anywhere
If you never close the plugin window manually, you can always use the Show/hide plugin window key shortcut option command p. It's just when you close the plugin by it's own window that you lose the ability to use the key shortcut.

also can be good, especially on mac since the shortcuts in menus can be remapped, and you don't need two hands to do it.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:30 pm
qtheerearranger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:18 pm
qtheerearranger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:56 pm have to say ableton 12 is really cool though as someone whos had the beta for two months. I just cant get into clicking that little wrench for third party plugins.
Ugh, my least favorite UX issue in Live is how third party plugin GUI's are opened. The first time you instantiate a plugin on a track the GUI opens and if you do not close it with the mouse manually, you can use the instrument key shortcut to open/close the GUI, (option command p), but if you close the GUI manually, you're back to the wrench. There's literally no reason why closing the plugin manually should force you to use the wrench, but that's how it be. Moral of the story, learn the key command and never close the plugin manually.

I think Bitwig is the only DAW that got this right without tweaking something or following weird rules like Live, the default key command to open a selected tracks instrument window is v, for VST, that's it.
honestly its the only thing that keeps me from using ableton. it is a creative flow killer for me. it gets me so angry lol. I have to admit I just assumed bitwig had the same issue lol. I may give it another go. Does bitwig have GUI lag like ableton for larger sessions?
Why not configure the same shortcut for each instrument/fx group to quickly show or hide or select the corresponding plugins without the need to click on the wrench icons(command+k)? Biwtg also supports this feature, and you can even use extra mouse buttons for triggering. Search for the best light MMO mouse for 2024 online to find a suitable option
Hey! While this doesn't satisfy the speed at which I'd like to work (having to configure as you add stuff it doesn't seem to stay when I switch instruments or create a new track). However, this does solve my second biggest gripe with ableton about being able to easily bring up your master fx. didn't know I could do this with select instrument and show/hide its good to know! thank you!
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

I hope they overhaul the GUI to the new iPad language, Logic starts to feel a bit outdated by now.. maybe we'll see some major changes before the summer or after WWDC, paired with some major AI features

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”