Zebralette 3 Public Beta Announcement (Revision 15573)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

+1
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

benjaminhowell wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 pm I just released some FREE Hardware inspired patches for Zebralette3 that provide some fun & room for experimentation. Available here~ https://www.benjaminhowell.work/store/p ... ntage-free

It's my first ever patch release, testing the waters for something bigger in Zl3 coming very soon.. :party:
While I'm always a bit sceptical to leave personal data just to get a freebie (please consider changing this - just an email should be sufficient, in case you want to give it free and still reach out later).

But your preset pack sounds really nice! Can't believe its your first one. Those kinds of analog, classical patches are probably underrepresented and it's nice to hear that Zebralette is also capable of those, even with its intended limitations!
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

I'm missing click-and-drag for some controls. For example, the unison or polyphony voices, and others. Also, dragging a control with the MacBook trackpad is backwards right now (if I use 2 fingers to drag UP, it should increase the parameter value, in the same direction).

benjaminhowell wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 pm I just released some FREE Hardware inspired patches for Zebralette3 that provide some fun & room for experimentation. Available here~ https://www.benjaminhowell.work/store/p ... ntage-free

It's my first ever patch release, testing the waters for something bigger in Zl3 coming very soon.. :party:

Very tasty!!!!! Thanks Benjamin :tu:

What do guys recommend (Mac) to get to run Z3 or Zebralette 3. This thing is murdering my trusty old 2018 mac mini ?

brick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:03 pm What do guys recommend (Mac) to get to run Z3 or Zebralette 3. This thing is murdering my trusty old 2018 mac mini ?
It will get better once optimizations are done
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:19 pm It will get better once optimizations are done
Hopefully.
Still reckon I'll need to upgrade to be able to run Z3. Might as well just get the latest and greatest.

brick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:58 pm
Fannon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:19 pm It will get better once optimizations are done
Hopefully.
Still reckon I'll need to upgrade to be able to run Z3. Might as well just get the latest and greatest.
Outside of a few things, almost all plugins are single core and an entire VST chain is single core. Thats why you can load a single track with a lot of plugins and Ableton's CPU meter will show it maxed out, even though you have so many more cores to use, the CPU meter tracks any one core's limit to 100%. VSTs are essentially calculus equations, and the more plugins you add the more the equation grows, but since it stays a single equation its very tedious to spread that equation across multiple calculators. M1 to M2 to M3 have all been equal amounts of improvement in single core speed. There are some grumbles about the M3 line having a very small total increase in multi-core performance, which is true, but the single core jump in M3 is still great for audio.

TL;DR Get M3 if you can. The M3 Minis should come out soon, and a $600 M3 Mini will have a better CPU than a $2,000 gaming rig from 2020. The M3 Pro Mac Mini will basically be more computer than you'll need for the next decade. The audio gains you get with Apple processors are really, really nice. I can run Izotope RX plugs at highest setting and do real-time monitoring, when my $2k gaming rig stutters at medium quality.

psychichotline wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:40 pm
brick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:58 pm
Hopefully.
Outside of a few things, almost all plugins are single core and an entire VST chain is single core. Thats why you can load a single track with a lot of plugins and Ableton's CPU meter will show it maxed out, even though you have so many more cores to use, the CPU meter tracks any one core's limit to 100%. VSTs are essentially calculus equations, and the more plugins you add the more the equation grows, but since it stays a single equation its very tedious to spread that equation across multiple calculators. M1 to M2 to M3 have all been equal amounts of improvement in single core speed. There are some grumbles about the M3 line having a very small total increase in multi-core performance, which is true, but the single core jump in M3 is still great for audio.

TL;DR Get M3 if you can. The M3 Minis should come out soon, and a $600 M3 Mini will have a better CPU than a $2,000 gaming rig from 2020. The M3 Pro Mac Mini will basically be more computer than you'll need for the next decade. The audio gains you get with Apple processors are really, really nice. I can run Izotope RX plugs at highest setting and do real-time monitoring, when my $2k gaming rig stutters at medium quality.
Appreciate the advice. I'll wait it out for the M3 Mini. :tu:

So I found the randomizer.h2p preset I'd seen mentioned, and it's the most fun I've had with Zebralette3 by far! :phones:

The main downside is that locking is ignored so things you don't want changed, and things that should never be changed are still affected.

I really, really hope this type of thing becomes a native feature (for all u-he synths). But perhaps if it pre-dates parameter locking it's possible to update the .h2p (or how locking itself is implemented) so that it's more reliable?

Output volume should probably never be randomized, and if we could lock things like coarse tuning, glide, voice mode, accuracy/quality etc. 90% of the worse results could be eliminated.

Also, if it was a part of the plugin itself, the randomize % could be adjusted freely, and maybe there could be max/min % values that keeps parameters away from extreme positions.

IMO, no other feature would come close to allowing the largest number of users to get the most amount of satisfying sounds, uniquely suited to their personal taste, in the shortest possible time...

Synapse Audio's Genetics feature is also wonderful to experiment with (offering much greater control than Serum's Hybridize, and Hybridize favoring selected preset functions.)
GENETICS
With the Genetics function, new sounds can be created from 2-3 existing patches. In doing so, properties from these patches are pieced together randomly.
GENERATE
After selecting at least two patches in the patch window on the right, a new patch can be created using the GENERATE button. If the selected patches fit well together, usually only a few clicks on the GENERATE button are necessary to get a usable sound.
AMOUNT
The Genetics function can weight the selected patches differently. This is controlled by the
"Amount" knob. The higher the value, the more patches 2 and 3 are factored into the final sound. At the minimum value of 0%, patches 2 and 3 are not considered at all, and the first patch remains as is.

Gotta say. This thing is sublime. The fidelity is out of this world. Amazing work.
Can't wait for Z3

brick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am Gotta say. This thing is sublime. The fidelity is out of this world. Amazing work.
+1

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Excited to release my first major patch release for U-HE Zebralette3

"BH Zebralette3 Cinematic" came out of a time of intense exploration & experimentation of the synth's feature set. The unique spline based oscillators allowed me to push and shape the sound in directions unlike anything else.

Every sound in this demo is a patch from Zebralette3 Cinematic!!

Patch Library - https://www.benjaminhowell.work/store/p ... -cinematic (https://www.benjaminhowell.work/store/p/bh-zebralette3-cinematic)

Patch Library Walkthrough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wXSgG8zDLM

U-He Zebralette3 Beta release - viewtopic.php?t=607153

Been spending a lot of time with Zebralette 3.

Have a few suggestions, I think some might have been mentioned already, but I'll put them down anyway.

1. Limiter in Curve Spectrum mode.
2. Editor Exit button in top right of editor window. It's weird having it on the global panel.
3. Ability to draw shapes in the Guide editor (sine,saw,square)
4. Swap Osc FX option
5. Be able to pitch the mod noise
6. Linear / Square option in the osc. editor. The opposite of SinOmatic
7. Right click option to mute a curve
8. Indicator to show where in the curve the sound is
9. Clear a mod matrix slot button
10. Ability to morph a curve point..either horizontally or vertically.

Cheers

brick wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:48 pm 7. Right click option to mute a curve
8. Indicator to show where in the curve the sound is
Come again? You can't mute a part of a waveform. And the sound is the entire curve. The whole thing equates to partials in a phase relationship to one another.

Return to “u-he”