Songs gone "can't find missing source file" please help

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I've recorded a dozen songs in tracktion 2 and today when I tried to open the default edit in a project I got a message saying "can't find missing source file". I get the same message for all the songs I've recorded over the last couple of months. Nothing has changed on my PC, external hard drive, set up, nothing. Using the Window search doesn't turn up anything either. All the .wav sound files are shown as missing in tracktion as well. Any idea what could be happening? Losing all that work would be horrible. thanks.

Are you absolutely positive that NOTHING has changed? Not the name of a directory that leads to those projects? Moving the projects even from "D:\My Songs\Song 1" to "D:\My Songs\Blues\Song 1" can mess things right up depending on your methodologies. If you had samples that got imported from another directory (or source DVD that you tend to keep in the drive) and the source directory is gone, things could be messed up.

Go to the directory where your audio is supposedly stored-- using plain old Windows Explorer. If the audio is there, then all is not lost. Otherwise, you've had a hard drive failure or end user error.

I've also farked edits right to kingdom kablooie by importing an archive back into my project while attempting a collaboration. I work on an edit called "for collab", the collaborator sends it back, and I open that person's archive back into my project... even if the archive is named "Back Atcha", the edits it contains probably aren't renamed, and the pointers within aren't properly renamed. Goodbye original edit.

Greg

thanks for the input but I've tried those things and double, triple checked the external hard drive directoy where all the tracktion songs are and its all gone. I've been a pro tools user for about 5 years and all of the pro tools sessions created on that drive are all there and in good shape. in fact all of the data on the drive is fine, only the tracktion data got wiped out - thats why I'm thinking the software did it.

never had tracktion delete the files (secretly) before. I think its a case of hunt the missing files in the browser and then re-assign them.

Else think really hard about whether a folder got deleted by accident or perhaps someone else used the computer and deleted them?

You might try using windows search for all wave files on the computer. Then check to see if any of the files "created on dates" match up with what your looking for. One time I did something that caused windows or tracktion to rename all the files needed for a recording to a series of numbers but they were still .wave files so I found them. Also, and I know its hard, but make archive files as often as you can. I use DVDs for this.
Steve

This has happened to me too. All my work in Waveform 12 IS GONE. There yesterday, GONE today. Fortunately I have a backup of alot of it, but when I try to restore it, as soon as I reboot, its gone. WTF TRACTION?

This was a very old thread from 2007 to which you added your case.

This new case of yours, what do you suspect having caused it? Do you remember any not so usual steps which you have recently applied? Did you upgrade software or plugins, your operating system? Did you manage projects on the Project tab of W12 (which version, W12, W12.5, W12.5.20)? Did your Virus Scanner maybe interfered, is it reporting anything suspicious? Which Platform (Win, Mac, LInux) are you on?
I am afraid that nobody can help you without more information, and also, any bug maybe having caused this cannot be investigated.
Good that you have your backup policy in place!

You mention: "but when I try to restore it, as soon as I reboot, its gone".
I would first suspect that the Virus Scanner is interfering and falsely deciding that the data should be moved to quarantaine. If it isn't this, then a detailled file system check would be the next thing for me to do. Finally, letting run a long S.M.A.R.T check on the HDD would tell if the HDD is still healthy.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

Return to “Tracktion”