Name of a Shimmering Sound Effect from Classic Video Games

How to make that sound...


Hello Everyone,

I'm intrigued by a particular sound effect frequently used in classic video games...
it's a shimmering sound that gently appears and fades . This effect has a unique characteristic, and I'm sure there's a specific name for it, though I dont know it.

For those interested in helping you can hear it in this Youtube video at the timestamp of 3:03.
Does anyone here know the technical name of this shimmering sound effect?


Video Opens rights away at Effect Location (3:03)


wind chimes?


sqigls wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pmwind chimes?
close...but perhaps yes. :wink:

It's a short stroke/jiggle on bar-chimes... solid bars, not tubes, like most "wind-chimes".

23-bar Single-row Classic Chime.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music.


Haven't listened, but the thing in the picture is called a Mark Tree (also known as a nail tree, chime tree, or set of bar chimes)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!



Listen under Instruments here: ... percussion

Return to “Sound Design”