Voice drift in Hive 2?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does Hive 2 have voice drift like Zebra 2 has? To my knowledge it's not an option you can switch on or off, but does it have it by default?

Also — will Zebra 3 have the voice drift option? I'd love to have it. Maybe even with an amount knob! :tu:

I do not believe it has it, but I do feel like it should be a standard feature on all synthesizers.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Not per Default but you can use a "mod-noise" modulator with slow SL (slew Limit) as suggested in the User Manual.

And/or to simulate slightly detuned voices u can use the Random modulator.

Thanks for the answers! I'll check the user manual for modulating voices. Can you do this on a per voice basis? Or is it per oscillator?

Example setup:
MM01 = Dynamic Detuning per OSC
MM02 = Static Voice Detuning
Screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So what makes MM01 oscillator based detuning (the same for each voice) and what makes MM02 voice based detuning (different for each voice) in this example? They're both modulating the tune setting. Is it because SL is activated in one and not in the other?

Also what does dynamic mean in this case? I'm happy to dive deeper into the manual if that's going to be your advice — no worries.

MM01 has different mod amounts for OSC1 and OSC2. You could make it even more independently by using different modulators for OSC1 / OSC2.

MM02 I call static because there is no drift while a note is playing. Only some random detuning for every new voice/note. You can experiment with higher mod amounts. Range: 100.00 is 2 octaves, so 1.0 is 24 cents.
Last edited by Chris-S on Thu May 16, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instead ModNoise you can also use a slow running Sample&Hold LFO. But Hive only has 2 LFOs so I prefere ModNoise.

I see you're using tune in your example, but isn't that just for the sub-oscillator? Should I use detune instead for the main oscillator? Or should I modulate something else for that?

tune modulates osc and sub osc.
sub tune is relative to tune.

Return to “u-he”