Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Resonant- Serpent wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:15 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am They got back to me and the upgrade didn't get thru because it was bought as a upgrade from Pro to Pro version.
I think it must have been a glitch since i clicked on upgrade from my Artist version.
So i will stay on Artist V6 and Bitwig since i only wanted the Pro version so i could use the built in Arp.
I use Zzounds for my Studio One upgrades. Helps to have the payments so I don't have to lay it all out at once.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSS16PROARTUPG
Wonder why the Upgrade is so expensive.
The price is almost double compared to going for the Studio one+ Hybrid option.

D-Fusion wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:58 am Wonder why the Upgrade is so expensive.
I think this price model is from the pre-subscription era. It‘s simply more or less the difference between Artist full price and Pro perpetual full price.

D-Fusion wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:58 am
Resonant- Serpent wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:15 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am They got back to me and the upgrade didn't get thru because it was bought as a upgrade from Pro to Pro version.
I think it must have been a glitch since i clicked on upgrade from my Artist version.
So i will stay on Artist V6 and Bitwig since i only wanted the Pro version so i could use the built in Arp.
I use Zzounds for my Studio One upgrades. Helps to have the payments so I don't have to lay it all out at once.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSS16PROARTUPG
Wonder why the Upgrade is so expensive.
The price is almost double compared to going for the Studio one+ Hybrid option.
Yeah, I didn't even look at the price since I've been on Pro for a long time. Looks like Hybrid is the best way to upgrade.

You can still get Hybrid+ on payments:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSS1PLUSHYBRID
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Studio one + hybrid 6 months $99 ???? I've seen this in 3 places dotcoms . Musicianfriend Guitarcenter and Sweetwater .... So do you keep the perpetual after 6 months ? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... -MQAvD_BwE

fedexnman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:57 pm Studio one + hybrid 6 months $99 ???? I've seen this in 3 places dotcoms . Musicianfriend Guitarcenter and Sweetwater .... So do you keep the perpetual after 6 months ? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... -MQAvD_BwE
Qualifies for the following upgrade options: If, during the 6 month term, another Studio One+ 6 Months is purchased, then the product will automatically upgrade to Studio One+ Hybrid, where you will receive a permanent license for Studio One Professional at the end of the term. The same applies to the combination of a Studio One+ 6 Months in combination with Presonus hardware, which also includes a Studio One+ 6 Months

Digivolt wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:39 pm
fedexnman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:57 pm Studio one + hybrid 6 months $99 ???? I've seen this in 3 places dotcoms . Musicianfriend Guitarcenter and Sweetwater .... So do you keep the perpetual after 6 months ? https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... -MQAvD_BwE
Qualifies for the following upgrade options: If, during the 6 month term, another Studio One+ 6 Months is purchased, then the product will automatically upgrade to Studio One+ Hybrid, where you will receive a permanent license for Studio One Professional at the end of the term. The same applies to the combination of a Studio One+ 6 Months in combination with Presonus hardware, which also includes a Studio One+ 6 Months
Thanks , for the read . Some tricky stuff . I have version5 . I may just skip 6 .

I guess I haven’t left Studio One after all. Sweetwater had a 10% savings so I bought the upgrade to S1v6 Pro and can now use it again on my M1 Mac. I had several good song ideas started in S1v5 that I can finish now. :)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I've left Studio One, due to the fact they still haven't implemented a smart media bay browser like Cubase / Nuendo, as well as the fact they do not support midi exports of the midi devices you spend hours on building, only to find out you can't use the back ups on any other machines.
Presonus lost their edge. Now with Fender at the wheel, it's become even worse.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

What is a media bay browser, and why would I need one?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:30 pm What is a media bay browser, and why would I need one?
If it's like a Pirate Bay, then I'm in!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Cubase / Nuendo has Mediabay it's their browser. It allows the user to tag their content, perfect for vst track presets , vsti presets, sfx etc.. Most daws have browsers, but I've outgrown Studio Ones basic browser. I was using Resonic Pro/as well as other 3rd party browsers to counter Studio Ones short comings, but Cubase answers the issues of being able to tag content, and back up our midi controller settings with Midi remote.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

OK. But Studio One saves your recorded audio files to a media folder in your song's folder, and keeps them in the song's pool. I'm not sure why I would need to search for media outside of my song's folder. I'm also not sure why I would need a browser for presets when they're available in the plugin. :shrug:

I've been using Studio One for almost 15 years and this hasn't ever been something I've even thought about needing. Seems like a pretty frivolous reason to leave.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Well to be fair the threads name is.. Why did you leave Studio One , I do alot of sound design, media bay allows me to search and view all my presets ( hardware synths / software synths ) at one time in a global browser with tags, that can constantly change over time. Studio One doesn't support hw the same way, they don't even support sysex. :( midi's pretty lackluster as well.. VST3 plugins aren't supported with the full spec vs Cubase midi program change support doesn't actually work correct with S1's VST3 plugins.. long story

If I just recorded audio or played an occasional soft synth , and didn't need access to mediabay I would stay on s1.. Cubase just blows it away now. With Cubases midi remote manager, it's even better. Maybe when Presonus decides to allow users to back up their midi controller settings to import/export them to different cpu's and updates their browser with tagging, I'll check them out again. Anyways that's my reasons, frivolous or not.
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I 'left' S1 back in April and made some posts about it here whining about upgrade prices, which I still think are bs.

I own 5 Artist, and they make you have to buy 6 Artist in full, no upgrade/update discount for 5 owners, imo this sucks. I'm hopeful I can find someone selling 6 Artist here or on Knobcloud because I don't want to pay full price for something I've already paid for.. just want to update it to the current version..

That aside - I've gone back to S1. I jumped ship and went with Ableton for a while (had 12 Suite), bought Logic, tried to tough it out for a bit on Reaper, didn't bother revisiting Bitwig, had some fun with FL Studio..

Decided to try out S1 on the Mac - just because I've got a Mac, doesn't mean it needs to only be Logic, right?

Anyway, downloaded S1 5 Artist and within like an hour, I had a whole new song written, recorded, mixed and mastered and scheduled for upload via Distrokid.

S1 just has something about it that I work well with, the workflow is optimal for me, I don't know why exactly but no other DAW beats it when it comes to actually releasing songs.

It's weird, I've released a fair bit of music, and have never intentionally stuck with S1 in the past - I've always jumped around DAWs, but looking back on the songs I've actually released, almost all of them are S1. There's only 3 that weren't done in S1. This wasn't even intentional, and it's happened while never settling on a DAW.

S1 has an intuitive workflow for me, upgrade pricings aside - it's a fantastic DAW, and it works beautifully on both PC and Mac. I prefer how it works on Mac over Logic, tbh I was a little taken aback with how awesome it was on Mac.

Not sure what I was expecting, but on PC, I felt like I was toughing it out a bit with S1 because I liked the workflow but it felt a bit sluggish and slow to do what I wanted. On Mac, lightning fast, smooth as heck - can't fault it.

Smashing out a song, start to finish so quickly just tells me I should go back to S1 and just stop messing with other DAWs.

Feel bad for complaining about it now - still feel the same way about upgrade prices but I mean.. I'm a full-time musician (make 99% of my cash from live music though).. S1 is a tool, and it's the right tool for me.

jamcat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:30 pm What is a media bay browser, and why would I need one?
Used Cubase 3 years until 2018.
You can organize all kinds of files, for any purpose, really.
And you can rate with 5 star system.

I used it to tell which projects and what state they are in.
- and you can filter on the rating too
- embryo, recording, mixing, mastering, done or similar.

I wouldn't mind have it in all daws. Idea is very useful.

Not a showstopper to leave a daw, though. There might be 3rd party software that do similar things, not sure.

For me the mandatory conversion of midi recording to automation was the showstopper leaving StudioOne. Created all kinds of unexpected behavior on midi recordings.

I asked support as S1 v6.5 was released if that changed. I was told to investigate myself by running trial. Such a major feature would certainly be known, like in all other daws ability to set if to keep midi as recorded or convert it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”