Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

databroth wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 pm I am only trying to provide information for those curious about Myth
and I don't want people to be mislead into believing myth is a sampler
it is actually very important that we understand myth is NOT a sampler, nor is it trying to be a sampler
Reading this thread I don't think anyone is really saying Myth is a sampler or is trying to be a sampler

Myth however needs to load samples for the Iris Oscillators work. Without a sample there is nothing to resynthesize so there is no Iris

When people like yourself feel the need to play the hero and rant about how Myth is not a sampler all you are doing is mudding the waters

Is MYTH a Sampler? Of course not as it can't record samples. Does myth need samples? Absolutely the answer is yes

Page 13 of the user manual states "Drag and drop your own
samples onto the IRIS"

Then states
"The IRIS is a representation of
a sound source as a loop.
The start and end of the sample
are at the12 o'clock position."

Page 15 then states
"When you drop audio onto the IRIS,
machine learning is used to re-synthesize
The sample in a special way."

And

"MYTH approximates your sample by
finding the optimal combination of four
"

I could go on but you can read the manual for yourself

Myth 100% needs samples, it's what the synth is built upon, it's sample based to say it's not is silly

As has been pointed out multiple times already, you don't have to use the Irises. Myth also has virtual analog oscillators with subtractive and FM (etc.) and noise generators with physical modeling resonators and modal filters etc.

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:31 pm Does myth need samples? Absolutely the answer is yes
Myth 100% needs samples, it's what the synth is built upon, it's sample based to say it's not is silly
This is patently false.

It has a sample based component to it but it absolutely does not "need" it to make sound.

It's better to think of it as a modular system.

Of course the Irises are an important part but you can leave them out altogether and use it as a subtractive, FM or physical modelling synth without ever having to go near the irises.

yeah, just so we're clear
Myth does not "need" samples to operate
you can do quite a lot with just the default sine wave iris or even use the "wave" module

some people seem to just be in here to argue
it's a shame, but whatever, I'm not here to argue

I know Myth inside and out, even proofread the manual and wrote the tutorial presets
so if anyone is curious about anything regarding Myth, please ask me and I'll gladly help you out

Myth is far more than the Iris, there's a bunch of different modules that can be added together in nearly endless ways
there is likely more coming as well...
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm ...
I am generally not buying Dawesome synths because there is not much evolution. I got Novum, good but imperfect synth and it never really evolved.
Do you think it will change with Myth ?
Any insider information on this?

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm
I am generally not buying Dawesome synths because there is not much evolution. I got Novum, good but imperfect synth and it never really evolved.
Seems like Databroth just said so (he's a Dawesome employee).

They say it's their "flagship" synth so it would make sense for it to get more updates / feature expansions than the others.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:12 pm

They say it's their "flagship" synth so it would make sense for it to get more updates / feature expansions than the others.
It would be great... I still consider Dawesome "niche" but with a well maintained flagship and a bit of work on their UI, they could be among the top best devs...

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm yeah, just so we're clear
you can do quite a lot with just the default sine wave iris or even use the "wave" module
Sure but it's the Iris that needs samples that makes it unique

Which is exactly why all the marketing materials focus on Resynthesis as does the manual

I can put my family in my car and push it to the store, but it's designed around and engine

And you are right some people are here just to argue like arguing that Myth doesn't need samples to fully function as intended

But since you work for Dawsome maybe you can lecture the people there who make your webpages and who wrote the manual on why they were wrong to focus on Resynthesis and the use of samples in your product

Obviously you seem embarrassed that Myth needs samples to function as intended and want to minimize that reality

totally understand, I do often feel there is too much expectation for synths to be updated over time
it wasn't long ago when a plugin would only receive compatibility updates and no additional features.
Super modern synths have set this precedent that all synths should be updated, and this just isn't manageable for smaller devs and teams. Many of the synths out there that do receive updates also charge for updates, and I worry this would upset people as well, but it also gives the developer a clear path and financial compensation for adding new features.

Not trying to imply at all that this is your perspective, just discussing the whole realm of "updates" in general.

That said, I can't make any promises, so I wouldn't dare suggest buying Myth with any expectation for updates, or any plugin really. Right, you buy the thing that is being sold, that's the part you get to play with now. But do keep an eye out

Edit: hopefully this edit catches you before you read this

"It would be great... I still consider Dawesome "niche" but with a well maintained flagship and a bit of work on their UI, they could be among the top best devs..."

with all I've said so far, the reality is, the updates are unlikely to be exactly what you wish them to be, especially when it comes to UI. I believe all of Dawesome's plugins have received some level of minor update at this point, usually bug fixes, even Abyss got a new feature since release with the FM. So he has in fact worked on them.

but, I added this to say, feel free to DM me any UI type requests you have, many people have many different ideas of how a UI "should" be, most are conflicting, but your opinion can give me a better idea of which desires are more common
Last edited by databroth on Sat May 18, 2024 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm
databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm yeah, just so we're clear
Sure but it's the Iris that needs samples that makes it unique

Which is exactly why all the marketing materials focus on Resynthesis as does the manual

I can put my family in my car and push it to the store, but it's designed around and engine

And you are right some people are here just to argue like arguing that Myth doesn't need samples to fully function as intended

But since you work for Dawsome maybe you can lecture the people there who make your webpages and who wrote the manual on why they were wrong to focus on Resynthesis and the use of samples in your product

Obviously you seem embarrassed that Myth needs samples to function as intended and want to minimize that reality
Whoa, you have the same tone and the same capacity to argue to death on stupid things on each and every thread you go. :-).

I love your logic... It helps me understand why there is flat-earthist.

But just for the fun of it, can you explain the embarrassment about proposing a resynthesis feature ?

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:12 pm

also being sorta modular, it's the easiest one to add updates too
no need to rework the UI or tinker with signal path, just simply add some new modules and expand the capabilities.

not that it's really that "simple" to update anything

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:25 pm But just for the fun of it, can you explain the embarrassment about proposing a resynthesis feature ?
I am the wrong person to ask, I find no issue talking about the need to accept reality that the earth is round and Dawsome Myth needs samples to be fully functional

I am not the employee of the company that made a plugin that is based on Resynthesis trying to minimize that fact

But you do you

databroth wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:24 pm
totally understand, I do often feel there is too much expectation for synths to be updated over time
it wasn't long ago when a plugin would only receive compatibility updates and no additional features.
Super modern synths have set this precedent that all synths should be updated, and this just isn't manageable for smaller devs and teams. Many of the synths out there that do receive updates also charge for updates, and I worry this would upset people as well, but it also gives the developer a clear path and financial compensation for adding new features.

Not trying to imply at all that this is your perspective, just discussing the whole realm of "updates" in general.

That said, I can't make any promises, so I wouldn't dare suggest buying Myth with any expectation for updates, or any plugin really. Right, you buy the thing that is being sold, that's the part you get to play with now. But do keep an eye out
I actually fully understand and agree.

Developing this kind of stuff requires highly skilled and intelligent people, who could go in any other fields of engineering and make a ton of money.
So if we want in this industry to keep talented people, we need to understand that these people need to be paid for their work... It isn't rocket science.

My perspective talking about updates and free updates is that the synths proposed by Dawesome are becoming so good and successful that he could maybe reach a critical size making this possible.
Creating a flaghip that is so successful that it bring other fields of revenue like the extensions for VPS Avenger or preset packs for Spire for example. This is I feel also what Arturia is doing, with Pigments with is creating a kind of flagship brand for them. Nobody can say they don't know synthesis when they have one of the most successful soft synth of the market...

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:25 pm But just for the fun of it, can you explain the embarrassment about proposing a resynthesis feature ?
I am the wrong person to ask, I find no issue talking about the need to accept reality that the earth is round and Dawsome Myth needs samples to be fully functional

I am not the employee of the company that made a plugin that is based on Resynthesis trying to minimize that fact

But you do you
He is just trying to explain to people how Myth work. And you doing you make it a cause of fight.
He is not minimising at all the fact that it is using samples for resynthesis. He was just trying to be crystal clear for people who may be interested by the synth and not fully understand it that it isn't like a sampler needing sample to work. It is a synth, with a resynthesis function which make it funnier to use.
But that, you said it, he said it and you are just trying to pick a fight when there is none.

It reminds me when you were bragging about "winning the argument" on a previous discussion you were participating. Can't you just have a polite and serene discussion without trying to fight for stupid things ?

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:32 pm My perspective talking about updates and free updates is that the synths proposed by Dawesome are becoming so good and successful that he could maybe reach a critical size making this possible.
Creating a flaghip that is so successful that it bring other fields of revenue like the extensions for VPS Avenger or preset packs for Spire for example. This is I feel also what Arturia is doing, with Pigments with is creating a kind of flagship brand for them. Nobody can say they don't know synthesis when they have one of the most successful soft synth of the market...
Yes, this is a goal in a sense, it does depend on the success of Myth.
Preset packs are on the way, I'm working on very focussed packs, instead of a "databroth" theme pack of various random favorites of mine, I'm doing a pack focussed solely on keys/plucks, I'll have another for lead/bass, and one for pads/ambience.

this will provide more of an "expansion" feel, where you're filling in sounds you use most rather than a mixed bag that may end up with only 10 plucks.

The more successful Myth is, the easier it is to add features, I just don't feel comfortable making any hard promises, and even less comfortable giving any sort of time line. I'd prefer if people who purchased Myth did so for what it is now, not because they expect stuff to be added.
Imagine if we left features out that are already there just to add them in, does that make it any more valuable?

Personally though, I think adding a couple modules once a year would bring a lot of excitement

Return to “Instruments”