Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:58 pm I wonder if face-palm or roll-eye or both...
This thread? Facepalm + eye roll + headdesk.

IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:42 pm
kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:18 pm
I think the criteria for a synth being "fully functional" is that it can make a sound based on the user input.
Awesome so you would buy Minimoog only use one of its three oscillators, don't use anything for modulation and open the filter up all the way so it's not being used

To you that is using all of it

Perhaps since you want to argue semantics, you would prefer the term "fully utilized" over "fully functional"

In any case one of the main features of Myth is Resynthesis and that requires samples to work

It's silly to argue or pretend otherwise

But again you can buy a Juno and not use the Chorus and make sounds but it misses the point entirely

For the life of me I don't get why the biggest cheerleaders of Myth want to ignore the Irises and Resynthesis and pretend they don't exist

In doing so it's they acknowledge that Myth sucks when you utilize all of its features as intended

Apparently it's so bad that employees from the company now want pretend the Resynthesis and the Irises and all of that functionality doesn't exist. It's absurd and if you state the obvious you are called a troll and people feel the need to argue semantics instead of dealing with reality

Dawsome should have just released a synth without Resynthesis or the Irises of they are such a non factor but they didn't

I've already said in two posts that I use the Irises as part of the whole thing.

You're trying to argue that the Irises ARE the synth. I'm arguing that they are part of a bigger thing. Which they clearly are because you can make perfectly usable sounds without them.

Pointing out that the Irises don't have to be used is just to illustrate that Myth is not the resynthesis playback machine you seem to think it should be.

You're the one reducing Myth to the Irises. Most people are trying to tell you that there is far more to it than just being a resynthesis based synth.

The Irisies themselves are far from useless. In themselves you can make incredibly complex and evolving sounds. Do they give a 1 to 1 reproduction of a sample? No but that's not the point.

It's extracting data from samples to be manipulated with the various Iris controls and then be further altered by the Oscillator and filter sections.

That in itself makes for incredibly complex, interesting and useful sound design.

That's what Myth is. It's not the Irises. It's everything.

kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:34 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:42 pm
kraster wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:18 pm
I think the criteria for a synth being "fully functional" is that it can make a sound based on the user input.
Awesome so you would buy Minimoog only use one of its three oscillators, don't use anything for modulation and open the filter up all the way so it's not being used

To you that is using all of it

Perhaps since you want to argue semantics, you would prefer the term "fully utilized" over "fully functional"

In any case one of the main features of Myth is Resynthesis and that requires samples to work

It's silly to argue or pretend otherwise

But again you can buy a Juno and not use the Chorus and make sounds but it misses the point entirely

For the life of me I don't get why the biggest cheerleaders of Myth want to ignore the Irises and Resynthesis and pretend they don't exist

In doing so it's they acknowledge that Myth sucks when you utilize all of its features as intended

Apparently it's so bad that employees from the company now want pretend the Resynthesis and the Irises and all of that functionality doesn't exist. It's absurd and if you state the obvious you are called a troll and people feel the need to argue semantics instead of dealing with reality

Dawsome should have just released a synth without Resynthesis or the Irises of they are such a non factor but they didn't

I've already said in two posts that I use the Irises as part of the whole thing.

You're trying to argue that the Irises ARE the synth.
No I am not, I am saying that resynthesis is an important part of the synth as a whole and that FACT is CLEARLY spelled out in the marketing materials, websites, and manuals around the product

I am also saying that those need samples to work and I don't understand the need for the biggest cheerleaders of the product to dismiss the need for samples or the Irises all together

Can you make sounds without using the Irises? Sure but why the hell would you drop serious cash on a plugin and not use it's main features?

Most of the complaints around Myth is the Iris, you see it in this thread and others like it on other forums and websites

So the attitude just seems to be oh well screw it, just don't use them by the employees of Dawsome rather than, well let's fix them and make them better

I don't think anyone expects Myth to be a sampler or a Rompler, I think what people want and I include myself in this, is to be able to load a sample, have Myth use resynthesis and all the other tools to transform that into something else. That is rather clearly the vision and the workflow presented in all of the marketing materials

But instead now it seems like what is presented is to just skip over the Irises entirely and skip over the Resynthesis part

IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:46 pm
I think what people want and I include myself in this, is to be able to load a sample, have Myth use resynthesis and all the other tools to transform that into something else. That is rather clearly the vision and the workflow presented in all of the marketing materials
You literally CAN do that.

What is wrong with you?

You just don't like HOW it resynthesises it.

Just use Novum, FFS.

It does what you want.

IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:42 pm For the life of me I don't get why the biggest cheerleaders of Myth want to ignore the Irises and Resynthesis and pretend they don't exist

OK, now you are just lying
I'm not pretending "the Resynthesis and the Irises and all of that functionality doesn't exist."
not once did I say they don't exist or that they aren't important at all
that is simply an out and out lie

I am simply emphasizing how useful everything else in Myth is
and that the resynthesis isn't sampling

please do not make stuff up about me

"So the attitude just seems to be oh well screw it, just don't use them by the employees of Dawsome rather than, well let's fix them and make them better"

no, that's not my attitude, I'm just saying it's not the only thing to look at when looking at myth
that is it, just because YOU think it is the main feature, doesn't make it the main feature

you've been incredibly rude and mean this entire time
I'm sick of it, it's one thing to not like the synth
but your attitude towards myself and the other KVR members here has been astoundingly uncalled for

endless accusations, fixation on one feature, wild analogies to drive your redundant argument
calling people "cheerleaders" saying I'm "trying to be a hero"
and now, lies, you are lying about me directly, using the fact I work for dawesome to further your empty accusations
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

this is f**king absurd
the direction this thread has taken

how incredibly toxic, is this representative of KVR as a whole?
is this the community we, as synth players and sound designers, want to foster?

I've already been ignoring this one troll, up until my last post, I just can not tolerate lies being made about me

but I also suggest everyone else please ignore him, he will NEVER stop, and will only grow this thread to be grosser and more depraved.
just let him dislike Myth, it's ok
not everyone has to like everything
not everyone has to be so rude about it, but still

I'd much rather see people sharing demos/songs
cool tricks and techniques
or things that surprised them about myth

rather than arguing endlessly with one hater

I apologize to everyone for even responding to his nonsense
I shouldn't have taken it personally, but I did, it's hard not to when someone fabricates your opinion from thin air
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

You're all good man, no need to apologise.

I'd be interested to know what Ivy's previous username was here.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

this has been absolutely exhausting, and I'm tired of it
I read this thread to help users troubleshoot potential issues
to help people learn features they didn't know exist
to help people understand how Myth works and what they might not have been aware of
to teach sound design that is possible in Myth

I don't come here to argue
by arguing, you are wasting my time
not only that, you are making it more difficult for other users to get help or better understanding of Myth

I for one appreciate DB's input and candor. :tu:

databroth wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:33 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:42 pm For the life of me I don't get why the biggest cheerleaders of Myth want to ignore the Irises and Resynthesis and pretend they don't exist

OK, now you are just lying
I'm not pretending "the Resynthesis and the Irises and all of that functionality doesn't exist."
not once did I say they don't exist or that they aren't important at all
that is simply an out and out lie

I am simply emphasizing how useful everything else in Myth is
and that the resynthesis isn't sampling
Actually you went on a crusade about how Myth is not a sampler for some reason and then pretended that the Iris didn't exist and wanted people not to use them

At least that is how it came across

But maybe I am wrong and if so I apologize are you know saying samples and resynthesis are an important part of Myth? That you really do need samples? Or are you still on an anti sample crusade?

databroth wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:47 pm this has been absolutely exhausting, and I'm tired of it
I read this thread to help users troubleshoot potential issues
to help people learn features they didn't know exist
to help people understand how Myth works and what they might not have been aware of
to teach sound design that is possible in Myth

I don't come here to argue
by arguing, you are wasting my time
not only that, you are making it more difficult for other users to get help or better understanding of Myth
And none of that is true as you decided to argue and go on the Anti Sampling Crusade

What was the point of that?

So.... Is there ever going to be an actual technical description of the Iris analysis and resynthesis process? It wasn't what I expected even from the description in the manual and other official discussions (from the company) and I like knowing exactly what DSP is doing whenever possible. It has always helped me to understand and use tools better and has helped me learn a decent bit about DSP and sound processing in general. I'm not asking for the source code or anything but I'm genuinely curious.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:19 pm So.... Is there ever going to be an actual technical description of the Iris analysis and resynthesis process? It wasn't what I expected even from the description in the manual and other official discussions (from the company) and I like knowing exactly what DSP is doing whenever possible. It has always helped me to understand and use tools better and has helped me learn a decent bit about DSP and sound processing in general. I'm not asking for the source code or anything but I'm genuinely curious.
Yes, I actually gave a detailed technical description several pages back, but it has been hidden due to pointless arguing from a troll

I don't mind sharing this info again however

but first of all, it isn't a priority to share the technical details of the Iris, because the main premise is to use it more like a black box, put a sample in, get an oscillator out
will the results always be useful? no
but sometimes you can find magic that leads to some really cool sound design

this is sorta always the case with anything "resynthesis" related, they all have their tendencies and ideal sources

so this said, "what are Myth's ideal sources?" and "what is the Iris doing so we can better understand ideal sources"

first of all, the best inputs are at C3 on the keyboard, this is actually mentioned in the tutorials.

the Iris takes a sample and first analyzes it, this is the "AI" part of things
this analysis is trying to find 4 distinct layers it can split the sample into
these layers are not multiband splits, but are distinct tonal characteristics
sorta like stem separation or the splitting in novum

it doesn't end here though (hence why this isn't a sampler)
next there is analysis applied to each layer, this is used to determine frequency content of the layer, there is an array of bins (not harmonics)
I believe it's over 1000 partials (they are static and evenly spaced, hence why I prefer "bins")
so the AI analysis is trying to figure out which volumes to apply to the bins to match the tone of its layer

finally, the volume curve of each layer is applied as an MSEG with 500 segments to each layer
this means you loose motion accuracy with longer samples

to sum it simpler
the sample is analyzed
split into 4 layers
each layer is resynthesized as a static tone
then an volume curve is applied to each layer

C3 gives the best tonal results, a couple to a few seconds long works best
sounds that have little pitch motion work best
sounds with tonal motion, particularly tonal motion between 4 main tonal styles work best

I've found instrument plucks, and various instrument sounds can work incredibly well
you can even play a note (ideally C3), init Myth, then drag that note into myth to use your patch as a new iris

I hope this clears up some of how the Iris actually works
I've found that simple trial and error leads to the most interesting results

IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:16 pm
But maybe I am wrong
at this point I'd guess most folks in the thread don't actually care whether you are right or wrong, it's been beside the point for pages and pages
IvyBirds wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:16 pm
and if so I apologize are you know saying samples and resynthesis are an important part of Myth? That you really do need samples? Or are you still on an anti sample crusade?
You can clearly write eloquently when you choose to but this is gibberish.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

edit

Return to “Instruments”