Fake VST3 plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK this applies to fx plugins too but there is no forum category for plugins in general (oddly) unless you count the developer forum.

I am trying to get rid of VST2s from my system, as much as possible, but I keep running into plugins where if you delete the VST2 the VST3 won't work any more. Which suggests the VST3 is nothing more than a wrapper for the VST2. The worst example is I didn't realise all my Rob Papen plugins required the VST2 for the VST3 to function so am just having to reinstall the whole of Explorer 8.

Just so I am forewarned before making this mistake again, what other developers create fake VST3's that need the VST2 to function?

I am pretty sure a lot of the Korg VSTs do that

Ah yes some do - I had to reinstall the older 'Legacy' collection VST2s as well. But the newer ones seem to be genuine VST3s

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:33 pm Ah yes some do - I had to reinstall the older 'Legacy' collection VST2s as well. But the newer ones seem to be genuine VST3s
That doesn't really bother me with the Korg Collection ones because as vintage emulations they don't really have any advantages running them as VST3 instead of VST2

IvyBirds wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:17 pm That doesn't really bother me with the Korg Collection ones because as vintage emulations they don't really have any advantages running them as VST3 instead of VST2
Depends of what you're using, I guess:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... scontinued

felis wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:16 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:17 pm That doesn't really bother me with the Korg Collection ones because as vintage emulations they don't really have any advantages running them as VST3 instead of VST2
Depends of what you're using, I guess:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... scontinued
I am an avid Cubase user but I am not bothered in the least. I'll just load an instance of Voltage Modular by Cherry Audio as a VST3 and use that to host a VST2. I do that lots of time anyway so I can have unlimited LFOs and complex effects setups all self contained in a saveable preset

That also works the other way. I have some older software that only hosts VST2, so I run Voltage Modular as a VST2 and host VST3 inside

IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 am
I am an avid Cubase user but I am not bothered in the least. I'll just load an instance of Voltage Modular by Cherry Audio as a VST3 and use that to host a VST2. I do that lots of time anyway so I can have unlimited LFOs and complex effects setups all self contained in a saveable preset
THAT is interesting !
As a fellow avid Cubase user I would love to see how you operate this as I often regret not having LFOs to modulate VST plugin parameters in Cubase. (Steinberg add a mod system on C14 please..)
If you were to be able to drop a screenshot (or screen capture) that would be really cool, if you have time of course :hyper:

paramita123 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 am
IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 am
THAT is interesting !
As a fellow avid Cubase user I would love to see how you operate this as I often regret not having LFOs to modulate VST plugin parameters in Cubase. (Steinberg add a mod system on C14 please..)
If you were to be able to drop a screenshot (or screen capture) that would be really cool, if you have time of course :hyper:
I am away from my computer on my phone at the moment but it's really simple

Voltage Modular is essentially a Virtual Eurorack, while there are others on the market (and I have tried all of them) VM is extremely light on CPU

Two of the "modules" are VST Hosts. Using them you can host any VST into a module. You can run it as VST3 and host VST2 if you want, or Logic or Protocols and host VST2
or VST3 which you usually can't. They have mixers, mults, LFOs, and all kinds of other things as modules also

You patch them all together using virtual cables. There are different types of cables for MIDI, audio, and "CV"

The difference between the two VST hosts is the amount of inputs and outputs for each of them

Basically any parameter in the VST that can be seen and controlled by a DAW can be modulated by LFO modules. You want to have 20 extra LFOs you can. There are many different types of LFO modules and you just drag and drop them where you want

This video probably explains it better than me

https://youtu.be/bSOzHL5tVg8?si=-OJO31wNUXjUHkJI

Besides extra LFOs, it's simple to create complex effects chains. Take a synth plugin and run it into a delay and then run that I to a reverb or split the outputs and send it to multiple places.

It's amazing really. You can if course use it like a Eurorack, but I mainly just use it a crazy VST host inside my DAW to do all kinds of weird things

IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:03 am I mainly just use it a crazy VST host inside my DAW to do all kinds of weird things
Wow .. That opened new doors for me, this is so interesting! Also kind of what I'd love for Cubase 14 to do natively! :phones:
I do have a license for Voltage Modular Ignite so I'll install that again ~ I removed it because it had CPU spikes for my setup, gonna try again.
Thanks for sharing :party:

This can also be done with cardinal (free VCV rack plugin). It's fun and useful.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

paramita123 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:55 am
IvyBirds wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:03 am I mainly just use it a crazy VST host inside my DAW to do all kinds of weird things
Wow .. That opened new doors for me, this is so interesting! Also kind of what I'd love for Cubase 14 to do natively! :phones:
I do have a license for Voltage Modular Ignite so I'll install that again ~ I removed it because it had CPU spikes for my setup, gonna try again.
Thanks for sharing :party:
You are welcome, unfortunately I think you need the full or "core" version of VM to get the VST Host modules

So....are you saying that with VM you can route modulators to any vsti's (Diva, for example),
or just that you can route modulators to the modules that are contained within Voltage Modular?

Doesn't seem likely that you'd be able to modulate any external vsti's, but what do I know? :shrug:

felis wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:02 pm Doesn't seem likely that you'd be able to modulate any external vsti's, but what do I know? :shrug:
Not sure about VM but you can definitely do this in VCV Rack, with the Host module ($30). Basically any VST plugin becomes a eurorack module, and up to 16 (or 24) exposed parameters can be modulated with CV.

funky lime wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:33 pm Not sure about VM but you can definitely do this in VCV Rack, with the Host module ($30). Basically any VST plugin becomes a eurorack module, and up to 16 (or 24) exposed parameters can be modulated with CV.
Seems pretty slick. Have you tried it?
Maybe someday, developers will say if their vsti's can handle fast modulation.

And about the vst2/vst3 thing, everything I've got is vst3 now.
impOSCar was the last one I use, of many, to get updated.

Return to “Instruments”