TAL-Drum (v2.5.3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Drum

Patrick may not have the most obvious announcement system, but at least he does regularly update. Incredible support imho.

I still haven't bought into this plugin though as being an Ableton user I really don't need it. However, the moment Patrick implements a synthesis system in Drum, I will seriously consider jumping in.
-- Blake Casimir : Check out my recently updated Bandcamp for melodic space techno!
http://blakecasimir.bandcamp.com
http://www.blakecasimir.co.uk

Could someone explain the release control in the amp env section to me? No matter how I set ahds, release doesn't change the env at all (?)

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:01 pm Could someone explain the release control in the amp env section to me? No matter how I set ahds, release doesn't change the env at all (?)
did you switch the one shot play mode off? Otherwise it will just play the sample and bypass the env.

One shot was activated but turning it off didn't change anything. Attack, hold, decay and sustain do what they're supposed to do, but release doesn't change the curve in the sample display in any way.

I'm on the demo version if that matters.

And you are using the envelope top right not in the middle at the bottom tabs.
That is the red one not the yellow (sometimes I haven't used Tal-Drums in awhile and I revert to Env1 for synth muscle memory which is the wrong one here).

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 12.43.40 PM.jpg
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Yeah, I'm using the amp env above the filter env in the top right corner, on the left side is the mapping section and below is a wave form display with the amp env curve drawn on it. When I turn the other knobs, like attack, hold, etc. the curve changes, but release doesn't.

edit: ah yeah screenshots now, yes I'm using the env in the red box

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:06 pm Yeah, I'm using the amp env above the filter env in the top right corner, on the left side is the mapping section and below is a wave form display with the amp env curve drawn on it. When I turn the other knobs, like attack, hold, etc. the curve changes, but release doesn't.

edit: ah yeah screenshots now, yes I'm using the env in the red box
Just to confirm, are you saying that editing the Release doesn't change the curve visually, or that it doesn't change the curve visually AND it has no effect when playing? If you load in a long sample, and quickly tap the key/button on your MIDI controller, does changing the Release impact how long it takes to fade out/stop playing?

If it's just about the visual curve, then this is normal behaviour for many samplers, as the curve shows the amplitude of the sample playback from the sample's start position and end position, which is determined with ADS, and the Release is based on how long the key is pressed or how long the MIDI note data is.

If changing the Release makes no difference in playback (e.g. at 0 or 100, playing a super short note with a long sample makes no difference), then something else is going on. Keep in mind that this may be hard to tell with very short samples.

If I'm misunderstanding or telling you things you already know then my apologies.

phreaque wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:00 am [*] Show all mapping layers on the pad over blended.[/list]
That is nice! Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly yet. For instance, it ignores fades and reversing the sample. So it still doesn't reflect visually how the pad sounds.

concealed identity wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm Just to confirm, are you saying that editing the Release doesn't change the curve visually, or that it doesn't change the curve visually AND it has no effect when playing? If you load in a long sample, and quickly tap the key/button on your MIDI controller, does changing the Release impact how long it takes to fade out/stop playing?

If it's just about the visual curve, then this is normal behaviour for many samplers, as the curve shows the amplitude of the sample playback from the sample's start position and end position, which is determined with ADS, and the Release is based on how long the key is pressed or how long the MIDI note data is.

If changing the Release makes no difference in playback (e.g. at 0 or 100, playing a super short note with a long sample makes no difference), then something else is going on. Keep in mind that this may be hard to tell with very short samples.

If I'm misunderstanding or telling you things you already know then my apologies.
All good mate, I'm new to this plugin and it's exactly what you're describing. I've probably been overthinking because I couldn't see a visual representation on the curve.

Thank you and everyone who tried to help! :tu:

fladd wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:01 pm
phreaque wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:00 am [*] Show all mapping layers on the pad over blended.[/list]
That is nice! Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly yet. For instance, it ignores fades and reversing the sample. So it still doesn't reflect visually how the pad sounds.
Afaik, the pad's waveform-images are calculated while loading the plugin or samples.
So, it can't reflect any changing to the actual sound after loading. Keeping that in mind, this little display can not be really used as exact representation. I see it rather as a kind of "table of contents" of the pad.
To reflect the Pad's actual sound to any time TAL had to rewrite the whole mechanism of that display, i'm afraid...

About the amp-release topic, anyone has an opinion about having release a little opened by default?
When i use amp env, i open release vitually every time. If only to prevent clicky or harsh break noises. Especially by using a section looped.
In one-shot mode which is by default, the release value doesn't matter at all. So would be an other value no problem as well.
What do you think?

Return to “Instruments”