How to import wav samples into Waveform?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry. I have searched a lot, but can't find it. How can I import samples as wav files into Waveform? What Windows folder?

What are you wanting to do with them? Do you want to put them on a track as audio clips or do you want to load them into a sampler to play as an instrument?

They don't need to be in any particular folder and when you add them to an Edit you should be asked if you want them copied into the project folder.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:20 am What are you wanting to do with them? Do you want to put them on a track as audio clips or do you want to load them into a sampler to play as an instrument?

They don't need to be in any particular folder and when you add them to an Edit you should be asked if you want them copied into the project folder.
Hi Pough. I want to be able to import them into the Micro Drum Sampler in Waveform Free. I saw a video in which it is possible, but I wouldn't know where and how to import the individual wav files. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0Aw-4gBMY

He's using the Search tab of the Browser, but I would recommend against that. I just tried selecting Samples there and I don't know what criteria Waveform uses to choose the files it shows, but it's chaos.

Instead, go for the Files tab in the Browser. It can go anywhere on your computer. You can also just use your OS's file browser, but the one in Waveform allows you to preview the audio files.

Drag and drop an audio file onto one of the pads on Micro Drum Sampler.

I don't use a lot of free stuff, so I can't really point you to many resources. I'm sure there are a lot out there. You might want to try Goldbaby. He has some free sample packs.

https://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

you can install serato free and there are many free packs that you can use WF free
https://serato.com/studio/sounds?tags=Free%20packs
Orion, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixbus :party: :tu: :clap:
Win 10, intel i7, ram 20 steinberg UR22mkII :wink:

pough wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:04 am He's using the Search tab of the Browser, but I would recommend against that. I just tried selecting Samples there and I don't know what criteria Waveform uses to choose the files it shows, but it's chaos.

Instead, go for the Files tab in the Browser. It can go anywhere on your computer. You can also just use your OS's file browser, but the one in Waveform allows you to preview the audio files.

Drag and drop an audio file onto one of the pads on Micro Drum Sampler.

I don't use a lot of free stuff, so I can't really point you to many resources. I'm sure there are a lot out there. You might want to try Goldbaby. He has some free sample packs.

https://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html
Thanks for your answer! I have tested it and it works!

Only problem is that suddenly Waveform crashes a lot when I enter the samples into the Micro Drum Sampler. Error message says that a problem occurred with the Micro Drum Sampler. I have to figure out if I'm doing something wrong. Also, sometimes a sample does not play when I've dragged it onto a pad of the Micro Drum Sampler. Any thoughts?

If you're not running the latest version, run the latest version. if you are, I guess you'll need to track down whatever the problems might be. It might have something to do with specific samples.

pough wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:31 am If you're not running the latest version, run the latest version. if you are, I guess you'll need to track down whatever the problems might be. It might have something to do with specific samples.
I have the latest version. But it might have to do with the samples, indeed. I downloaded them from https://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html which is highly recommended. But when I load a sample into a pad in the Micro Drum Sampler, sometimes there is no sound. Or Waveform crashes all together. It's very random and can't be reproduced really.

Could it be that the Micro Drum Sampler maybe isn't meant to be used in this way, and that you're supposed to only use drum packs from Tracktion itself? Anyway, I'm going to test loading drum samples again with Sitala https://decomposer.de/sitala/ and see how that goes.

Thanks again for your help!

PauloMatix wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:16 am Could it be that the Micro Drum Sampler maybe isn't meant to be used in this way, and that you're supposed to only use drum packs from Tracktion itself?
Nope. It's definitely meant to allow you to make your own kits. In the recent past there were bugs in the Micro Drum Sampler, but I thought they had all been addressed. I don't tend to use it much (I've spent the last 20 years acquiring plugins so I don't need it) but when I'm answering peoples' questions I usually try it out myself just to confirm and I have successfully made and saved a new kit using samples from Goldbaby's SP1200 collection.
PauloMatix wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:16 am It's very random and can't be reproduced really.
So if a specific sample results in a crash and you try that exact same sample again, it doesn't result in a crash the second time? And if a specific sample is added but is silent then trying that exact same sample a second time will make noise?

Are you using samples that are in a folder that's sync'd to a could service?

pough wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:31 pm when I'm answering peoples' questions I usually try it out myself just to confirm and I have successfully made and saved a new kit using samples from Goldbaby's SP1200 collection.
Wow. Much appreciated!
pough wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:31 pm So if a specific sample results in a crash and you try that exact same sample again, it doesn't result in a crash the second time? And if a specific sample is added but is silent then trying that exact same sample a second time will make noise?
I think I tested it rather specifically, but maybe not well enough. I'm going to test it again, now trying to exactly replicate the problem, and I'll come back here again.
pough wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:31 pm Are you using samples that are in a folder that's sync'd to a could service?
No, the samples are on my pc's SSD, not linked to a cloud service.

pough wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:31 pm So if a specific sample results in a crash and you try that exact same sample again, it doesn't result in a crash the second time? And if a specific sample is added but is silent then trying that exact same sample a second time will make noise?
I've now thoroughly tested my samples in the Micro Drum Sampler. I've found one thing that I definitely did wrong. Because I'm a terrible newbie, I didn't notice that I accidentally and randomly clicked the S (solo) and/or M (mute) button on one or more of the pads in Micro Drum Sampler. I just found that out. This probably explains why I didn't hear some of the samples. Although I do not yet know how to turn off these buttons again (will Google that shortly ;-) ), I'll say that disabling the M button was the reason why I didn't hear some samples before.

But... why did my Micro Drum Sampler crash so much before, when adding samples from my hard drive (SSD)? I still don't know. I've tried to reproduce it. What I tested:

- Started up a new project in Waveform Free. Loaded Micro Drum Sampler as a plugin in track 1.
- Clicked Micro Drum Sampler which shows the drum pads.
- In Waveform, opened the browser window and navigated to the folder where my samples are: custom made folder SAMPLES on my C drive where I paste all my wav samples.
- I do not have too many wav samples in that custom folder already (almost 100 samples), but I've loaded every single one of them into pads on the Micro Drum Sampler. And what do you know: NO CRASH!
- After that I've assigned samples to different pads, moved pads to other positions in the 4x4 layout in Micro Drum Sampler, saved my drum kits in Micro Drum Sampler, used MIDI Learn and still: NO CRASH!

I don't understand it. Why did Micro Drum Sampler crash so much before? I didn't change anything. Could it have something to do with accidentally clicking the S and M buttons?

Return to “Tracktion”