Digital Synth VSTs (like DIVA)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:56 pm What is it about Diva’s JP8000 emulation that is different than JP6K? Assuming the OP is only after the oscillator emulation, as he’s stated.
The JP6K only emulates the Supersaw. Diva's Digital Osc has the Supersaw and 6 other modes, plus ringmod and crossmod.

The Digital Osc is a JP8000 oscillator an earlier VA which has a different sound than actual analog synths and has a unique quality of its own.

The big thing about a JP8000 was the supersaw sound (although it had several tricks). I'm guessing they probably decided not to do the filter because they probably think the "Analog" filters already in DIVA are probably of better quality (and I'm not sure on how well liked the JP8000 filters were anyways)

Basically any VST subractive emulation is a "digital" (or really all VSTs are digital anyways). Digital oscs are probably better for more "modern" sounding stuff (wide, clean, cuts through mix), but I would group them into a couple of categories:

1. Older Analog emulations from the 2000s (with older analog emulation tech) (Reason Subtractor, Alot of Reaktor ensembles such as Nords etc).
2. VAs such as Sylenth, Hive, Dune.
3. Wavetables such as Serum, Vital, Massive X

If you want flexible oscillators, a good Wavetable would be your best bet. If you want more of the Supersaw sound, synths such as Hive or Dune would be good bets (although these are essentially wavetables as well, and most Wavetable synths have a unison feature anyways) for creating supersaws.

Older Analog emulations sometimes can have a dirtier character to them that might work well for certain things).

I own a few hardware synth ( microbrute,ms-20,dark energy 2.....) , the vst wich sound really good (for me) is fabfilter one.
**dark music for dark lovers**

Electra3 has several options for Super/Hypersaw.

Examigan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:16 pm Electra3 has several options for Super/Hypersaw.
He's not after just the supersaw, he wants the whole oscillator.

I would have thought that was clear by now.

And what’s going on with those recommended synths that cost nearly the same as Diva ?!?

If he can purchase those, he could purchase Diva ! How many times do we have to repeat it before you all stop posting around for nothing ?

Simple question, simple answer. There you go.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:37 pm And what’s going on with those recommended synths that cost nearly the same as Diva ?!?

If he can purchase those, he could purchase Diva ! How many times do we have to repeat it before you all stop posting around for nothing ?

People don't read the thread after a few pages, only the title, and then chime in with their favourite synth. Has been like this for years.
<list your stupid gear here>

jlgrimes11 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:32 pm Older Analog emulations sometimes can have a dirtier character to them that might work well for certain things).
Because of Aliasing? Or because of low bit depth?

egbert101 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm
DJErmac wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:37 pm And what’s going on with those recommended synths that cost nearly the same as Diva ?!?

People don't read the thread after a few pages, only the title, and then chime in with their favourite synth. Has been like this for years.
Sorry that I may have seemed serious.
Yeah, regular forum in a few words. :wink:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:50 pm
Fannon wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 pm From your question its not entirely clear to me: Are you mostly after the digital synth sound and not so much for a synth that looks / feels like Diva?

If yes, then you could try out Vital. It's free and on par with commercial synths. There's also a LOT of free presets available for it, e.g. here: https://presetshare.com/presets?instrument=2

I'm pretty sure that with Vital you could get to the sound you're after if you know what you're doing. Its a very flexible synth and the interface is rather intuitive for how much it can do.
I cant afford DIVA, as I said. As I have other analog emulations, including Repro, this part is the most interesting to me. DIVA as a whole would be wonderful as the other oscillators sound good as well. I don've anything like the digital oscillator it includes and I don't know of anything that's similar.

So thanks, but Vital is a wavetable vst. It doens't do what I'm referring to. Are you familiar with DIVA?
You can sometimes get DIVA second hand pretty cheap. I re-sold Diva for € 59 afair.

egbert101 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 pm

It's the internet. But that said, reading the title and the OP and the thread itself, it's still not clear. Starting from the title, with reference to 'digital vsts like Diva' which is probably the most highly esteemed VA synth out there. That's a confusing way to start.

I would still recommend Hive because of its varying engine options which to some degree does the digital emulation of virtual analogue pretty well. The dirty engine in particular is very characterful.

Surge XT has a wide collection of digital oscillator types, it is free and can do what you want. I prefer it to Diva and I own Diva.

The OP is asking for a digital VA oscillator.... That's what the jp8000 was. That's what the majority of VSTs are. The jp8000 had the super saw and the feedback OSC. These things can be done in various synths in various ways. If one isn't familiar with the jp8000 then having a "close emulation" isn't really a big deal. Get surge. Get any of the many free awesome synth a out there. They're all digital oscillators with various unison modes etc that will cover the ground that the diva OSC does, just not in the exact same way. If you want diva just save up and buy it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I realize this sounds EXTREMELY smug and entitled. That's probably my "coastal elite" side showing. But is Diva really that expensive for what it is?

Although Diva doesn't (thankfully) provide 1:1 emulations of classic analog (and digital) synths, it's even better, IMO, in that it provides the building blocks to create all manner of "analog" synth tones. $180 seems like an absolute steal for those capabilities.

But alas, if you are subsisting on cat food, then yes, $180 does seem like a lot of money. But I would do my very best to save up for Diva. It can easily replace a whole host of other boring "analog modeling" plugins and still sounds top notch 13 years after its release, IMO.

Well, $180 is about two tanks of petrol on our coast right now. Even cat food is 3-4 times the price. But there are sales and second hand purchases. Keep watching, the right deal will come along.

Return to “Instruments”