DELAY CAT by RED TIMBRE AUDIO

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi everyone!

Here to introduce a new plugin, Delay Cat, developed by our new company, Red Timbre Audio.

Delay Cat is truly unique and unlike any other delay plugin out there. It leverages the power of concatenative synthesis within a delay line, offering an entirely new way to manipulate sound. This advanced technique allows you to create intricate, next-gen sound textures that stand out in any mix. Whether you're producing electronic, ambient, or any genre that craves depth and character, Delay Cat is the plug-in you are going to be thrilled to use.

To celebrate the launch of Delay Cat and honor Memorial Day, we're excited to offer an exclusive introductory price of $19.99. This special offer is our way of saying thank you to our early supporters and ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to experience the unique capabilities of our plugin.

Help us innovate creativity in audio production! Download Delay Cat today and see some of the cool things it can do. Visit https://www.redtimbreaudio.com/product-page/delaycat (https://www.redtimbreaudio.com/product-page/delaycat) to learn more and grab our Memorial Day introductory offer.

Thank you for supporting Red Timbre Audio. We can't wait to hear the amazing sounds you'll create with Delay Cat!

░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Looks really cool. Hopefully this thread about this plugin will stay a bit more on-topic. I can't buy it at the moment because of the payment options (I only use PayPal) but I'm happy to bump the thread and help to get the word out.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

@noiseresearch: Straight from their response to me:
As for copy protection, you will get 2 activation keys on purchase to use which will activate the plugin on a machine indefinitely (unless returned and specifically disabled on our server). You only need internet for the initial activation and then never afterwards. You can request additional activation keys if you have good reason. We built the system to be as non-invasive as possible.
And btw, no demo, but they now have audio/video on their site.
@pough: Not sure how far you got through the payment process, but the final payment page lists After Pay, Affirm, Google Pay or just straight entering credit card info. Yeah I'd prefer PayPal too but I went ahead and did ye olde credit card.

I bought this at the current price - very cheap for what you get. Will take some time to understand - they link out to the academic paper describing the research and that seems a useful read. Going through the presets seems a good idea too - covers quite a range

RedTimbre wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:22 pm Hi everyone!

Here to introduce a new plugin, Delay Cat, developed by our new company, Red Timbre Audio.
Welcome back! Looks really good and at the intro-price it's almost a no-brainer.

I find the manual a bit too technical.

It needs to be dumbed down for dumbass musicians like myself!

I get the concepts but it seems to be written from the POV of someone who has a deep inherent knowledge of singal processing technology and its overarching concepts.

I have Dillon Baston's Coalescence M4L sampler which has some overlapping concepts with Delay Cat like concatenative sampling and things like the Mel scale but a lot of it is double dutch to me.

e.g. "Viable Segments: these indicators (orange) represent viable segments for selection, meaning a read segment (delay tap) may be placed at one of these positions in the buffer. Notably, these viable segments will be sonically related to the delay time segment by a degree determined by the Target Radius parameter. Note: there is typically an implied viable segment behind the delay time indicator."

This makes my brain hurt!

My understanding is that you have a delay line that can be segmented? (grouped?)based on certain features inherent in the signal like spectral content, loudness, change. And if the criteria for the features are met that criteria they are added to a pool of samples that can be used to alter the characteristics of the sound in some way.

Is that a good approximation of what it does or am I way off?

It's got lots of hardcore analysis that is used for various parameters modulation. Like how a pitch shifter that knows the initial pitch can be used in different ways than one that doesn't. I'll pay 20 bucks for sure. Hopefully my computer doesn't break. I've only seen the Mel scale used in Pure data (fft based shifter) and that nifty drum sampler that I can't think of the name of.

The only real use of concatenative sampling that I know of is the stuff people use to make "deep fakes" lol. "Make generic vocal sound like a low bit rate MP3 of patsy cline" type stuff. I'm excited to see this used in a more "open" system.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Since there's no demo, you should really state specific minimum system requirements. Does it run on 10.13.6?

Edit: and have a clear "return" policy

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:13 am It's got lots of hardcore analysis that is used for various parameters modulation. Like how a pitch shifter that knows the initial pitch can be used in different ways than one that doesn't. I'll pay 20 bucks for sure. Hopefully my computer doesn't break. I've only seen the Mel scale used in Pure data (fft based shifter) and that nifty drum sampler that I can't think of the name of.

The only real use of concatenative sampling that I know of is the stuff people use to make "deep fakes" lol. "Make generic vocal sound like a low bit rate MP3 of patsy cline" type stuff. I'm excited to see this used in a more "open" system.
The range of things it can extract is pretty mind boggling.

It's nice to see Music Information Retrieval tech being used for music.

The Mel scale is also used in the Visco Drum machine (Is that what you'r referring to?). It's used a lot in speech recognition.

As mentioned above I've seen concatenative sampling used in Dillon Baston's coalescence M4L sampler. It's used as a way of grouping things by similarity of a certain characteristic.

I don't think I've seen anything as deep as Delay Cat though.

I have a better handle on it now... I think but there's a lot of functions that I'm still scratching my head about.

I really like the latch parameter, great for glitchy weirdness.

Yeah. I couldn't remember Visco for some reason. I'm getting this now. For 20 bucks I'm down with anything that is different than the rest. As long as it's stable and doesn't destroy my CPU.

Well. I grabbed it. it is way more fun than most pitch shifting delays I've ever used, but that's about all I've been able to make it do so far. I haven't looked at the manual and it's not exactly straightforward to know what the graphs etc at the bottom right are doing. It sounds great and the CPU is small enough. Always down to spend a couple bucks on something strange. I'm sure once I figure out how it really works it will be even more fun. It definitely kicks the crap out of most "standard" granular delays as it is easy to avoid runaway pitch shifting while still having large feedback.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:29 am Well. I grabbed it. it is way more fun than most pitch shifting delays I've ever used, but that's about all I've been able to make it do so far. I haven't looked at the manual and it's not exactly straightforward to know what the graphs etc at the bottom right are doing. It sounds great and the CPU is small enough. Always down to spend a couple bucks on something strange. I'm sure once I figure out how it really works it will be even more fun. It definitely kicks the crap out of most "standard" granular delays as it is easy to avoid runaway pitch shifting while still having large feedback.

The bottom right graph (parameter graph) section is effectively a modulation matrix.

The X axis is the source chosen from the list and the Y axis is the amount applied to the destination. You can right click to add nodes to the graph (envelope)

Click on a control (e.g. Pitch shift) somewhere in the plugin and select a source in the list above the parameter graph.

Hit the set button beside the list to engage the modulation. It can be either used to set it directly or multiply it by its current value.

So, for example, you could choose beat position in the list and assign that to pitch. You'll see it advancing through the graph window. You can add nodes to the envelope and adjust the Y axis level to alter the pitch as it advances.

I chose Beat position because it's the easiest to understand.

Things get really wild when you choose one of the many other sources.

One cool thing I tried was loudness to the latch parameter. (Latch is the probability that one of the selected nodes in the feature space repeats itself). So the louder the signal the more likely it is to glitch out.

One important parameter is the smoothing in the segment selection. That smooths out the movement of the target position.

Still digging in to it.

Thanks! I figured it was something like that, but I only played around for a few minutes after I downloaded it. This is some spiffy stuff.

Bought this, as I was intrigued by that bottom left section (Timbre, brightness etc), but um... I can't get those sliders to do anything?
Are they just a subtle effect, or does something need to be activated in order to use them?
I only had a 20 minute play, but for the life of me, I can't get those sliders to do anything!

Oh, and also, the Pitch control on the right... tooltip help says that we can set in semitones by right clicking? Nope, not on my comp. All buttons have the same effect.

Win 10, FL, using vst3

Return to “Effects”