Which plugins do you want to see redesigned?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synplant 2.

It's been mentioned but not named so here we go : Tranzistow obviously. If it gets a decent UI someday, the world will never be the same (not an easy task tho I guess).

Other than that, Op-X Pro 3, Imposcar 3, Synplant 2 (that DNA editor :dog: )
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

All that have GUIs... Take all the useless graphics off, make 'em all GUI-Less...

Supercollider wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:10 pm In particular, almost every single Arturia plugin could use a redesign to make better use of computer display real estate. This goes for Roland and Softube as well. It's just silly seeing a Jupiter 8-like synth UI, for instance, on my laptop screen.
Arturia's V Collection Synths for the most part are emulations of classic hardware synths from decades ago

As emulations they have an option to use them with a GUI based heavily on the original hardware, if you don't want to use that there are also alternate screens and GUIs

The original layout however is often very handy as on the original hardware the workflow was often times expressed in the way the controls were laid out. For example since you talked about the Jupiter 8. The VCO section is on the middle left, and the filter section is right next to it in the middle left

If you move away from laptop screens, on my setup I have a very large monitor as my screen and I have all of the VCO and Filter controls mapped to a controller. So when I move a control on the controller, I see that same control move on the screen. This is especially handy for emulations of vintage Analog hardware as all of them have very similar controls meaning you can have a universal program on your controllers that works on all of them and then displays in the appropriate spot on the GUI

It's a fun way to work and program sounds that hands on and visual

Airwindows stuff.

The older logic stuff, if it hasn't been already (I just upgraded to 11 a couple days ago, and haven't looked at many of the stock instruments and plugins). Delay Designer, Sculpture etc...very good plugins but kind of hard to use. They've done a great job IMO with re-doing a lot of their stock plugins. I'm a fan of flatter, simpler vector-graphic looking and above all, resizable interfaces (Valhalla being another example). I find the realistic ones with 3d button graphics to be less than good with a mouse at times, even if they look cool (looking at you, Lindell 80 and bx_townhouse from Plugin Alliance! I like both of these a lot but wish they had a better gui).

Other than that, can't really think of much. I've only installed a fraction of my old plugins on my newer machine and don't have any issues with the ones left standing. Well, ok, FM8 from NI DEFINITELY needs a redo but I may end up getting a different FM synth at this point as I don't expect that will ever happen.

Stokely wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:51 pm The older logic stuff, if it hasn't been already (I just upgraded to 11 a couple days ago, and haven't looked at many of the stock instruments and plugins). Delay Designer, Sculpture etc...very good plugins but kind of hard to use. They've done a great job IMO with re-doing a lot of their stock plugins. I'm a fan of flatter, simpler vector-graphic looking and above all, resizable interfaces (Valhalla being another example). I find the realistic ones with 3d button graphics to be less than good with a mouse at times, even if they look cool (looking at you, Lindell 80 and bx_townhouse from Plugin Alliance! I like both of these a lot but wish they had a better gui).

Other than that, can't really think of much. I've only installed a fraction of my old plugins on my newer machine and don't have any issues with the ones left standing. Well, ok, FM8 from NI DEFINITELY needs a redo but I may end up getting a different FM synth at this point as I don't expect that will ever happen.
+1 on that. I would like to see ES2 get redone in higher resolution graphics. I still use that one, more so than Alchemy, go figure!

PebbleInAStream wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:18 pm
concealed identity wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 am I love the sound of Dune 3, and the interface isn't terrible or anything, but there's just something about it that doesn't feel right. I think it's just having the tabbed oscillators, osc mixer, voice layer selector, and number of voices/layers all in separate parts of the synth. The more complex my patches get, the more I find myself searching around to edit the specific things I want. Even though it's useable now, I definitely think there is room for improvement in Dune 4's interface.
+1 from me, I liked the sound but not the workflow of Dune (especially compared to other synths I had) so I sold it on, if they improved the UI (and the MSEG editor!) I'd be back onboard. (This is probably beyond the scope of what Wayford is interested in doing though)
I also don't like the preset browser they added more recently to DUNE 3. It feels rather clunky and tacked on, as compared to other top synth's menu systems.

DUNE 3 sounds amazing, but its GUI and workflows could be improved.

agharta wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:59 am Synplant 2.
What don't you like about it?

Did you like the design of Synplant 1?

All of the Melda stuff

MrJubbly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:17 pm
The synth editor is the part I particularly dislike.
I never used version 1.

agharta wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:23 am
MrJubbly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:17 pm
The synth editor is the part I particularly dislike.
I never used version 1.
Granted, Synplant's editor is quite unorthodox. I tend to think, that is intended mainly just for minor tweaks and to tame the wilder randomly-generated sounds created with the plugin's main UI.

But Synplant is an unusual synth for sure and probably not to everybody's preferred workflow.

Plasmonic, some Plugin Alliance like Bettermaker,, u-he Diva, Melda
they all look awful to me or are too uninspiring because of bad or chaotic look,
Melda with better gui would be the
only dev I would take a closer look, though
Best plugin gui is Avenger for me, because complexity meets simplicity, although there's a huge amount of options, it's simple to learn.
Generally I prefer simple effect plugins like Waves Renaissance or Air plugins or Reaper plugins without too many distractions caused by too many features /options.

one ping only (on steroid)...

I'd like to see the iPod Classic software redesigned. Not that I use mine any more.

Return to “Instruments”