God forgive me I might change my DAW..

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

everyone, should try dp, at least once.

Lol

eluherlu wrote: ↑Wed May 29, 2024 5:33 am
VOODOO U wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 10:45 pm
eluherlu wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 8:16 pm I can make my Reaper almost like Live if I want to.
You mean the session view? If so, I know you said "almost" but I'm curious how deep one can go using Reaper to mimic Live. Even using regions with SWS it's not quite there.
Ok I guess I answered my question, that's where "almost" comes in.
Still curious.
Not the session view, althought I know some script in Reaper can mimic Live. Playtime if I'm not wrong.
But I don't use session view. Can't get a song done when started with the session view workflow.
But all the other editing, mixing, recording workflow. Watched lots of Ableton videos about the workflow, and I said, well Reaper can do that.

In fact, I don't really understand why Ableton got so many love. FL Studio is a different animal though.
Session view is primarily why it gets love.

Then M4L, with a massive community that builds tools for everything.

Live was built as a performance tool, but over the year grew as people wanted to keep working in Live without needing to finish in other DAWs.

If you don’t gel with Session view, you’re going to notice limitations not found in other DAWs.

eluherlu wrote: ↑Wed May 29, 2024 5:22 am
dartfordyes wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 9:35 pm
eluherlu wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 6:19 pm Just got Bitwig Studio after playing with the 8-track version for months. Getting used to it and I make music with somewhat different workflow. And it makes me excited again!
All the modulators, clip edit, sampler, midi fx etc are soo fun.

Before that I used Reaper for more than 10 years (on and off). I almost have a perfect setup for my Reaper. All that shortcut, toolbar, customizatios. I can make music in lightning fast with Reaper.

Trying to learn a new DAW feels refreshing to me. I don't know if I make better music with Bitwig yet. There are times I feel like, "ugh I can't wait to get back to Reaper so I'm in the comfort zone again". But I get through it and I know I'm having more fun. And now I almost forgot some shortcut keys for Reaper. Oh my..

Is it because it's just a new thing for me? Or Bitwig is simply more fun?
I feel terrible if I ever leaving Reaper. Reaper is always be 'My Guy'. But yeah we'll see..
have you tried the new uad luna ? you might just jump again
Nope. Seem like another standard features DAW to me. But maybe I'm wrong
it might be , but it’s free and the instrument that comes with it is a premium sounding instrument

eluherlu wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 8:16 pm I can make my Reaper almost like Live if I want to.
You mean the session view? If so, I know you said "almost" but I'm curious how deep one can go using Reaper to mimic Live. Even using regions with SWS it's not quite there.
Still curious.
Not the session view, althought I know some script in Reaper can mimic Live. Playtime if I'm not wrong.
But I don't use session view. Can't get a song done when started with the session view workflow.
But all the other editing, mixing, recording workflow. Watched lots of Ableton videos about the workflow, and I said, well Reaper can do that.
With editing and recording workflow, not sure specifically what you're talking about, but I'll throw in Live is hard to beat in regards to swift ease of editing and recording because it was initially designed with live performance in mind.
Dropping fx in and out, automation, rearrangment - all can be done on the fly while recording. At least for me, it never hiccups or chokes.

eluherlu wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 6:19 pm Is it because it's just a new thing for me? Or Bitwig is simply more fun?
I feel terrible if I ever leaving Reaper. Reaper is always be 'My Guy'. But yeah we'll see..
The Lord forgives you. Go in peace, my son.
A well-behaved signature.

I switched away from Reason to Studio One after 13 years. I didn't really, regret it. I enjoyed the change to something I felt more professional. It happened to be the best choice I could have made at the time, and I've not looked back, other than for curiosity. I honestly didn't think I'd ever leave the Reason environment entirely, but when I did, it was easy. I like most people stick to one DAW and use it till it no longer stands up to the competition. For me, Reaper never even got off the starting blocks. The whole thing is just meh.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

elxsound wrote: ↑Wed May 29, 2024 5:37 pm
Still curious.

In fact, I don't really understand why Ableton got so many love. FL Studio is a different animal though.
Session view is primarily why it gets love.

Then M4L, with a massive community that builds tools for everything.

Live was built as a performance tool, but over the year grew as people wanted to keep working in Live without needing to finish in other DAWs.

If you don’t gel with Session view, you’re going to notice limitations not found in other DAWs.
When talking about session view, I always see it as a great tool for 120 ish bpm, 4 on the floor kind of music. Techno, house etc.
But I don't make that kind of music.
Every producer that I look up to working in Live never used the session view.
With M4L, I think its only for the Live Suite edition? And that's frickin expensive for me lol

VOODOO U wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 12:35 am
Still curious.
With editing and recording workflow, not sure specifically what you're talking about, but I'll throw in Live is hard to beat in regards to swift ease of editing and recording because it was initially designed with live performance in mind.
Dropping fx in and out, automation, rearrangment - all can be done on the fly while recording. At least for me, it never hiccups or chokes.
Editing and recording in Reaper is a beast. Automation, dropping fx, arrangement too. As long as you want to customize it. Like I said before, I can make Reaper almost like Live if want to. Almost. Maybe for some shortcut I need 1 more mouse click.

Also, I made a shortcut in Reaper that can transpose any loop sample to project key in 1 shorcut and 1 mouse click. How cool is that? That's still missing in Bitwig.

EnGee wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 11:26 pm
eluherlu wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 8:16 pm Yep I've tried Live and Reason.
I can make my Reaper almost like Live if I want to. So nope.
Reason's UI is too messy with my tiny laptop monitor.
Although Bitwig is somewhat similar to Live, but I don't know, Bitwig feels strange to me. In a good way
Bitwig and Reaper are my DAWs in Linux which I'm using it now more than Windows or Mac. They run great in Linux (I use Mint Linux). Linux is installed on my external SSD drive (T7) and runs faster than Windows on M.2 or my M1 Mac! It is a great OS and I have a great setup with it now :)

Bitwig presets unfortunately don't inspire me, but doing my own presets in FM4 and other synths is much more rewarding sonic wise. The drum kits are also not that good, so I use samples to construct my kits.

There are no shortages of great synths in native Linux. u-he and TAL are my favourites commercial developers. Vital and Surge XT round up the setup beautifully.

Anyway, although I can use either Bitwig or Reaper for the whole project. I depend on Bitwig more. Reaper might be a better choice for mixing, but Bitwig Studio has more tools.
I'm curious about the Linux. What are the advantages in terms of music production?
You can install it in external drive? And how much faster than your Win or Mac?

eluherlu wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 5:39 am
I'm curious about the Linux. What are the advantages in terms of music production?
Advantages are relative. For me, they are two points mainly:
1. Less is more mentality. It enables me to concentrate on less tools than in Windows or Mac. This might be a negative point for many, but for me, it boosts my creativity more.

2. Linux is more transparent than Windows or Mac. You know exactly what are you installing or updating. The concept of freedom is also comforting. If one company or distro developer becomes asshole, I have many other choices.

I don't have measures of how fast is my Linux setup, but generally the OS seems snapier than my Windows 11 (the same PC). It also seems snapier than my M1 mini Mac.

Don't get me wrong! I also like my M1 Mac because of how silent and power efficient it is. Its philosophy however, is the opposite of Linux. Still, I would choose Apple over Microsoft any day! Logic is also a great DAW πŸ‘

EnGee wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 7:16 am
1. Less is more mentality. It enables me to concentrate on less tools than in Windows or Mac. This might be a negative point for many, but for me, it boosts my creativity more.

2. Linux is more transparent than Windows or Mac. You know exactly what are you installing or updating. The concept of freedom is also comforting. If one company or distro developer becomes asshole, I have many other choices.

I don't have measures of how fast is my Linux setup, but generally the OS seems snapier than my Windows 11 (the same PC). It also seems snapier than my M1 mini Mac.

Don't get me wrong! I also like my M1 Mac because of how silent and power efficient it is. Its philosophy however, is the opposite of Linux. Still, I would choose Apple over Microsoft any day! Logic is also a great DAW πŸ‘
Does the speed affect your Bitwig in particular? To me Bitwig is a little bit slow. For example, there are a couple seconds to audition a longer loop in browser

eluherlu wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 5:39 am I'm curious about the Linux. What are the advantages in terms of music production?
I'll probably be put on a stake for this but here it goes: I think linux gives you zero advantages in terms of music production.

I also think it will be a waste of your time unless you are a programmer or have strong ideological reasons for using it.

Also, I'm a sinner and change DAWs all the time :D

eluherlu wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 8:22 am
EnGee wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2024 7:16 am

Does the speed affect your Bitwig in particular? To me Bitwig is a little bit slow. For example, there are a couple seconds to audition a longer loop in browser
Hmmm! I don't think there is a noticeable difference! Part of the code of Bitwig (I think mainly the GUI) is written mainly in Java. This is great for running on multiple platforms but it won't be as fast as C/C++ code (As far as I know, but I could be mistaken because my info is old).
Anyway, I have tested several audio loops, and you are right, Bitwig is sluggish a little bit compared to Reaper (in Linux). I don't think this is only in Linux though, so this is one of the negatives of Bitwig! I hope there is a way for the developers to make it more responsive in future updates.

Return to β€œHosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”