God forgive me I might change my DAW..

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Changing to different tools can be great for two reasons. First, the novelty can give your brain a squirt of serotonin. That doesn’t last forever, but it can make it more fun. Second, as you already know, new features can give you better ways to do what you’ve been doing or brand new ways of getting new results.

I switched to Bitwig because I got a Roli Rise 49, and while you could get MPE to work in Live, it was a clumsy workaround and general pain in the ass. It didn’t even support polyphonic aftertouch, which was something I was also eager to add back to my world. Bitwig supports both, and has the best MPE support out there. When I discovered all the modulation possibilities, I knew I had made a good decision. Bitwig’s not perfect, but in general, I can get what I want out of it without too much hassle.

Live added MPE and polyphonic aftertouch, and even integrated M4L into itself, giving it a more Bitwig like modulation capability list, but it was too late. Back when I switched to Bitwig, this was a hobby for me, but now I have deadlines, and I don’t think my employer would be too happy with me spending a lot of time learning the new features of Live, and I don’t feel like doing it on my time off and spending my own money to do it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

M4L comes bundled with Live (suite version). It's not integrated.

eluherlu wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:20 am Also, I made a shortcut in Reaper that can transpose any loop sample to project key in 1 shorcut and 1 mouse click. How cool is that? That's still missing in Bitwig.
I'm unsure if I understand. So, one can set a Reaper project to a key? Like C or F# etc.?
If that's the case I would assume there would be an option where dropped in samples/loops would automatically transpose to the key. No need for shortcuts.

vurt wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:32 pm everyone, should try dp, at least once.
DP has some nice features.
If low latency performance is important to you, it's the worst of all the major DAWs.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Did I just wander into the Out of Context thread?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Jim Roseberry wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:43 pm
DP has some nice features.
If low latency performance is important to you, it's the worst of all the major DAWs.
Have never noticed any issues with DP and latency, I have 6 DAWs on this computer here. I mostly run at 128. I seem to recall version 8 having new improved latency performance, maybe it used to have latency issues? but even then there wasn't a noticeable difference to me.

machinesworking wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:11 pm Have never noticed any issues with DP and latency, I have 6 DAWs on this computer here. I mostly run at 128. I seem to recall version 8 having new improved latency performance, maybe it used to have latency issues? but even then there wasn't a noticeable difference to me.
FWIW, You won't notice it running at a 128-sample buffer size.
At 44.1k, that's roughly 6ms round-trip.

I meant pushing the envelope more.. running 32-sample ASIO buffer size... where round-trip latency is 1-2ms.
With an empty project, couldn't play a single instance of The Grandeur without many glitches.

Haven't tested the past couple of versions... as that ruled it out (for my purposes).
Just downloaded the demo... and will run some tests.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Just tested DP v11.31
Ultra low latency audio performance is roughly equal to Cubase.
It's a major improvement over what it was back in version 10.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

see, everyone should give dp a good go!

Jim Roseberry wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:05 pm Just tested DP v11.31
Ultra low latency audio performance is roughly equal to Cubase.
It's a major improvement over what it was back in version 10.
DAWs are weird creatures, DP and Cubase used to be far far less CPU efficient than Logic ten years ago, but the Apple Silicon processors turned that on it's head. DP and Reaper (Cubase as well I hear) are using all cores including the efficiency cores, which translates to a significant track count difference from Logic, which is not. I would never expect Bitwig or Live to use them, but it is, strange that Logic has issues there? Efficiency cores are less powerful than Performance of course but they aren't slouches like some think, they're perfectly capable of holding the double buffer trick that Reaper, Cubase, DP and Logic do to get higher track counts. With 8 efficiency cores here, the difference is brutal, something like 106 in Logic to a 140 track tie with DP and Reaper. Tomorrow that could change, Logic could get control of efficiency cores.

can't stop anymore.

:hihi: :hihi: dp aint for me :hihi: :hihi:
Processor AMD PRO A10-8750B R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (30.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

https://soundclick.com/guerillagenus

vurt wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:07 pm see, everyone should give dp a good go!
When did you first experiment with dp, vurt, and what made you try it?

Also thinking of adding Bitwig to my repertoire. Was always put off by the thought of having to oay to upgrade 2 DAW. But now Logic 11 has arrived at zero extra cost, it looks like that will be less of a concern.

Been devouring BW Youtube content, and will probably start mucking around with the demo.

dp
tenor 2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Processor AMD PRO A10-8750B R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (30.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

https://soundclick.com/guerillagenus

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”