Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mcbpete wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:00 am
dayjob wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:25 am Bundle? It’s a separate download available directly from madrona labs. Is it a problem to download the app or something?
Of course not but wouldn't it be great if you could drag a wav directly onto the partials module then click on the 'three dots' on the top right to enter an 'edit' mode (effectively Vutu but within the Sumu gui) and then go straight back to the main Sumu ui with those settings. (instead of loading up Vutu separately, opening and editing the partial from a wav, export a json, load sumu and import the json)
I don't think anyone is saying that tighter integration wouldn't be better.

I just don't think it's feasible because of GPL licensing.

One of the stipulations of using GPL software is that you must include the source code with any application you write that uses the software.

Vutu is on Github: https://github.com/madronalabs/vutu

The problem is that if it's integrated into Sumu then the source code for Sumu would have to be uploaded onto Github.

What I think would be doable would be some way of automating/streamlining the process.

Drag and drop a wave file into Sumu's partial window, it launces Vutu as a separate App, you twiddle the knobs until your happy and the hit a send to Sumu button (which is basically an automated export to a folder and import in Sumu)

Something like that.

This way you'll still keep the apps separate but tighter intergration.

My first finished track with SUMU:
https://sonograyn.bandcamp.com/album/sumu-studies

80% cpu on a quad core i7 laptop from 2017 (dell lattitude )
NOt playing a single note ,just launching the plugin
This can't be real :)
Set to one voice , cpu is 20% ..still verry high but hey
Displaying the gui peaks activity in taskmanager , why do developers think we all have superfancy gaming graphics cards :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

OPening and closing the gui in resnoise presents me with this beautifull black canvas .
I assume my build in intel graphics is not supported :lol:
WHere can I find the unistaller , ( its not in the commonfiles\ vst3 folder ) ?
Edit: found it ( it's under Program data )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yeah, it's the best :) But seriously it's so called early access release which is basically just an open beta with an option to buy at discounted price before official release. On Madrona Labs forum Randy stated that at some point he introduced a bug that made it broken on older systems and before it happened he could run 4 voices of Sumu on an 2014 or so, quad core macbook pro reliably.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:15 am OPening and closing the gui in resnoise presents me with this beautifull black canvas .
I assume my build in intel graphics is not supported :lol:
WHere can I find the unistaller , ( its not in the commonfiles\ vst3 folder ) ?
Edit: found it ( it's under Program data )
Same in FLStudio...

All black also here. Intel graphic. FL STUDIO 21. Win 11. All other dev apps work flawlessly.

I really wanted to like this synth. I just can’t anything musical out of it. On paper it sounds great, but in practice… None of the demos I’ve heard or watched sound useful, either. Maybe sfx for sci-fi movies.

Edit: of the useable sounds I’ve heard people get out of it, they could easily be mimicked by dozens of other synths with 1/4 the cpu usage.

looks like another interesting synth from ML, maybe more so for ambient music production and fx though.
I'll download and give it a test run at some point for sure.

we need new genre for this synth - alien ambient
aliasing plugin owner
:?

masterhiggins wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:21 pm I really wanted to like this synth. I just can’t anything musical out of it. On paper it sounds great, but in practice… None of the demos I’ve heard or watched sound useful, either. Maybe sfx for sci-fi movies.

Edit: of the useable sounds I’ve heard people get out of it, they could easily be mimicked by dozens of other synths with 1/4 the cpu usage.
I had the same opinion as you at first and didn't buy it but I caved and eventually did and now that I've put the time in I think it's one of the best soft synths of the last 10 years or so.

The key to getting more musical things out of it while taking advantage of its features is all in what you choose as partials.

For musical stuff I find harmonically rich instruments with a strong fundamental work best. It's important to tell Vutu what the fundamental is.

Things like honky tonk pianos, double coarse stringed instruments, metallophones, brass wind instruments, open tuned acoustic guitars are some of the things I've tried.

Another thing is to take advantage of the rhythmic aspect of the pulse section. Both pulse sections can be set to rhythmic divisions and the entire pulse section can be locked to a tempo.

Using integer multiples for the Hi-offset will also introduce rhythmic aspects.

One thing you can do is add the second pulse output which is full range to the attenuverted time input and the Hi signal of the first pulse output to the time multiplier input. If you have these at different rhythms you can get some really cool cascading loop sounds.

It's an amazing synth and there are definitely things it can do that no other synth can because very few if any synth allows you to control that many partials so easily.
Last edited by kraster on Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraster wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:58 am I think it's one of the best soft synths of the last 10 years or so.
Fully agree.
You have to spend time with it and you have to explore it.
Presets are only a starting point, nothing more.
This synth wants to be discovered.
This is a playground.
This is full of surprises and happy accidents.
So inspiring!
Well spent money
:tu:

Trying the demo now. CPU is not that bad for me (M1Max) - it is playable anyway. I don't intend to stack lots of instances. I do like the sound but for an additive I would really like to have more hands-on manipulation of partials, it could do with a partials editor so you can draw the sound shapes you want instead of having to rely on importing resynthesised sounds.

kraster wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:58 am
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:21 pm I really wanted to like this synth. I just can’t anything musical out of it. On paper it sounds great, but in practice… None of the demos I’ve heard or watched sound useful, either. Maybe sfx for sci-fi movies.

I had the same opinion as you at first and didn't buy it but I caved and eventually did and now that I've put the time in I think it's one of the best soft synths of the last 10 years or so.

The key to getting more musical things out of it while taking advantage of its features is all in what you choose as partials...
I'd like to ask you or whoever is reading this something I thought about that might be limiting my enthusiasm for Sumu so far and from what I'm hearing on YT for example: It usually sounds somehow thin. It sounds, at least to my ears, like a synth that's only running on one oscillator and without any detuned or sub-oscillator. Do you know what I mean?

How does/can one thicken sounds in it, besides using effects like chorus, spacial or reverb? Can sounds be layered and then detuned?
Last edited by Borbolactic on Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Return to “Instruments”