Korg Collection 3 MS-20 vs Arturia V Collection MS-20 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:46 pm I think Diva
…scroll…
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:38 pm I did my MS-20 mk1 model around 8 years ago now, so it's great some other companies are catching up
But have you done anything since?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 am
…scroll…
?

The Arturia one can do fine-tuning, and the Korg one can't. The Arturia version, for the most part, has better low end , more pronounced detuning, and the filters are a bit more aggressive. Not to mention, you have two filter modes in the Arturia version.

this comparison is not fair: imho the korg version is old, ok, it's got a new gui but the sound engine is old. the arturia version has a brand new sound engine.
Though its strange that the Arturia one has the Korg writing on it - maybe we can see this synth in the next Korg collection, as a new member of the family...

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:38 pm I asked them about this and they did match them to their old mk1, which obviously I don't have access to, but my mk2 oscillators, which are the same circuit, are much brighter and more useful in my opinion, but it is a matter of taste and they decided to go with a duller sounding oscillator.
I wonder what the likelihood is that their unit was serviced at some point in its lifecycle and a cap was replaced somewhere in the audio path with something at a different value which dulled out some of the high end. Maybe it is a great model but their hardwdare is just out of spec somewhere.

dune_rave wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:52 am this comparison is not fair: imho the korg version is old, ok, it's got a new gui but the sound engine is old. the arturia version has a brand new sound engine.
Though its strange that the Arturia one has the Korg writing on it - maybe we can see this synth in the next Korg collection, as a new member of the family...
The Arturia one was made in collaboration with Korg or at least approved by them.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:39 am I wonder what the likelihood is that their unit was serviced at some point in its lifecycle and a cap was replaced somewhere in the audio path with something at a different value which dulled out some of the high end. Maybe it is a great model but their hardwdare is just out of spec somewhere.
I'd like to see an option "new" or something on those osc to restore the brightness, since it's just impossible to do some sounds like it is.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

I've had Korg Collection MS-20 emulation for years, sounds good, a bit inconvenient to use, not my cup of tea, the Arturia one can't be that different HOLY MOLY THE ARTURIA ONE SOUNDS TERRIFIC, ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC!!!
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

andy-cytomic wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:23 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:39 am I wonder what the likelihood is that their unit was serviced at some point in its lifecycle and a cap was replaced somewhere in the audio path with something at a different value which dulled out some of the high end. Maybe it is a great model but their hardwdare is just out of spec somewhere.
I'd like to see an option "new" or something on those osc to restore the brightness, since it's just impossible to do some sounds like it is.
It's not just the MS-20 who's oscillators are dull in the Arturia analog synths though. Could be their method of anti-aliasing (TAE) results in a duller osc sound? (As opposed to specifically modeling the older version?)

jamcat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 am
…scroll…
Scrolltum

can this synth be used as an FX on an audio track, like the korg ms20? I have the korg one, and loved and used that for so many things

I foolishly bought the ms20 controller 2nd hand a few years back
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:10 am I foolishly bought the ms20 controller 2nd hand a few years back
get yourself made as a funko pop, then you could have them on a shelf as if you are playing the ms20.

Return to “Instruments”