Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:01 am Trying the demo now. CPU is not that bad for me (M1Max) - it is playable anyway. I don't intend to stack lots of instances. I do like the sound but for an additive I would really like to have more hands-on manipulation of partials, it could do with a partials editor so you can draw the sound shapes you want instead of having to rely on importing resynthesised sounds.
Any morphing between two or more different sounds? Perhaps that's sort of what FM does, yes?

I don't believe so

Borbolactic wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:24 pm
kraster wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:58 am
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:21 pm I really wanted to like this synth. I just can’t anything musical out of it. On paper it sounds great, but in practice… None of the demos I’ve heard or watched sound useful, either. Maybe sfx for sci-fi movies.

Edit: of the useable sounds I’ve heard people get out of it, they could easily be mimicked by dozens of other synths with 1/4 the cpu usage.
I had the same opinion as you at first and didn't buy it but I caved and eventually did and now that I've put the time in I think it's one of the best soft synths of the last 10 years or so.

The key to getting more musical things out of it while taking advantage of its features is all in what you choose as partials...
I'd like to ask you or whoever is reading this something I thought about that might be limiting my enthusiasm for Sumu so far and from what I'm hearing on YT for example: It usually sounds somehow thin. It sounds, at least to my ears, like a synth that's only running on one oscillator and without any detuned or sub-oscillator. Do you know what I mean?

How does/can one thicken sounds in it, besides using effects like chorus, spacial or reverb? Can sounds be layered and then detuned?
many here can explain it better, but there are 64 oscillators.... and they all do FM or AM, your choice. also the space module (....) has 64 audio paths so to say.

how deep it can go, it depends on the source, if it contains deep/low sounds of course. i made a preset, and it became the basis of a track, that has quite some lows in it. albeit augmented with a reverb... it can go deep.

Borbolactic wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:24 pm
kraster wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:58 am
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:21 pm I really wanted to like this synth. I just can’t anything musical out of it. On paper it sounds great, but in practice… None of the demos I’ve heard or watched sound useful, either. Maybe sfx for sci-fi movies.

Edit: of the useable sounds I’ve heard people get out of it, they could easily be mimicked by dozens of other synths with 1/4 the cpu usage.
I had the same opinion as you at first and didn't buy it but I caved and eventually did and now that I've put the time in I think it's one of the best soft synths of the last 10 years or so.

The key to getting more musical things out of it while taking advantage of its features is all in what you choose as partials...
I'd like to ask you or whoever is reading this something I thought about that might be limiting my enthusiasm for Sumu so far and from what I'm hearing on YT for example: It usually sounds somehow thin. It sounds, at least to my ears, like a synth that's only running on one oscillator and without any detuned or sub-oscillator. Do you know what I mean?

How does/can one thicken sounds in it, besides using effects like chorus, spacial or reverb? Can sounds be layered and then detuned?
It's kind of dependent on what you put into it.

If you have a sound that is dense in the lower end then it will be reflected in the output. You can restrict the amount of top end partials with the pulses section and restricting them to the lower end.

You can then plug the pulses in to the time input of the partials and/or to the amp input.

You can also adjust the Y axis of the vector field so that it favours lower partials.

Finally you can lower the pitch of the FM/AM modulator to be lower pitch.

In other words there are many ways to make it sound low and dark.

I think why you hear a lot of higher stuff is that most sound sources will have lots of mid to high end content/harmonics.

kraster wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:41 am In other words there are many ways to make it sound low and dark.

I think why you hear a lot of higher stuff is that most sound sources will have lots of mid to high end content/harmonics.
There's also going to be some spectral tilt and/or a max partials control in the final release version which should help tame the highs.

As for detuning or other movement in the sound, you can use (FM or AM) ratios just slightly off integer values to create some beating. You can alter the tuning of the oscillators so the harmonics are off just a little from each other. You can move stuff around in the Space section to get Doppler shifting. (But there's also no reason not to use chorus or another FX with it anyway, or stack a simple synth with it to add a sub...)

In the 1.0 release there will also be unison, however there's no info whether it will be mono or poly and how many voices will be available at least to my knowledge.

Return to “Instruments”